Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What mobile for elerly Mother??
  • grahamh
    Free Member

My mother has killed yet another mobile phone by not using it, hence the battery has not been charged in a month of Sundays, so will no longer charge.

Any suggestions?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Does she actually NEED a mobile?
    Sounds like maybe she doesn’t.

My Mum & Dad struggled with the cordless one I got them.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My 88yo FIL uses an iPhone (new battery £30)
    My 81yo MIL has a “seniors phone” large buttons, no screen to speak of, user changable battery
    My parents 77 and 71 have a hand me down ancient Nokia, user changeable battery

Drac

project
    Free Member

DORO.

grahamh
    Free Member

She has used it in emergencies, that is what she relies on it for.

Cougar

I was wondering this today.

My mum’s got a decade-old Nokia. I’d love to get her something modern and Android-y, but she’d struggle without actual buttons I reckon. Does such a thing exist?

Caher

Yes I second a Doro, bought for both parents and despite being technophobes they use them.

grahamh
    Free Member

those doros sound good choice.

PePPeR

My friend who has Alzhemiers, always tries new phones, I keep having to pick up the pieces and buy him old style Nokias with the old menu system which he knows and can use!

You can’t beat an old Nokia, batteries are cheap and the system is simple.

irc

Doro’s have the advantage they sell a charging cradle. So if you can train your mum to place it in the cradle when at home it is always charged, they know where it is, and they don’t need to fiddle about with a charging cable.

Jingle
    Free Member

As above – Doro seem well designed by people who know what works.

We got my mum a Doro a couple of years ago from Tesco; it came with a charging cradle. Her memory isn’t the best, but she has got used to leaving the cradle plugged in and switched on (won’t use much power), always putting the phone on the cradle when she gets home, taking it with her when she goes out and not just switching it on if she wants to make a call. The earpiece volume will go loud enough for someone with poor hearing, and the characters on the screen seem larger than most. It is a clamshell, so is protected from the many rough, sharp and pointy things she seems to carry in her handbag.

Drac – very good, finally got it, took me a while. Think the brain is a bit fluffy this morning.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What mobile for elerly Mother??’ is closed to new replies.