Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What metronome???
  • Cletus

My lad is learning to play the guitar (currently grade 3) and has said that he needs a metronome. I know nothing about them but there seem to be lots of different types – e.g. traditonal pyramid, digital etc.

Looking for recommendations as to what would be best and where is good to buy from.

Cheers

northshoreniall

ipod/ phone app? are some acceptable free ones.

timdrayton
    Free Member

Or there are pc based software ones which are fine, if you must have a physical one go for the pyramid pendulum type it will last for ever. £20 or there abouts?

midlifecrashes

Smartphone app, could get a tuner one at the same time?

emsz
    Free Member

I bought “guitar toolkit” app for iPhone. It’s got chords metronome tuner, alternative tuning surprisingly useful. If your lad needs a proper one then local music shop will have what you need. You can get plectrums at the same time!

Onzadog
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

persoannly I would get a wooden pyramid wind up one. They look much better and are much more of an heirloom than an electronic one. The electric ones are quieter and flash a light for the beat so may be a better option> They are also much easier to transport around. Bit cheaper as well say £20 eletronic and £40 for a clockwork one. Shop for a proper one to see quality online for an electronic one

leffeboy

boss db-30 is quite nice but if he doesn’t already have an electronic tuner you might want to hunt down a combined tuner/metronome if such a beast exists

Edit ..and here you go. Don’t know if it is any good though whereas my daughter is happy with the db30

Cletus

Thanks for the replies.

My lad is 13 and loses phones at a rate of one every six months so the smartphone option is out of the window.

I like the idea of a traditional pyramid type device but would a digital one such as that recommended by leffeboy be better (more portable)?

I am not musical at all so do not no whether these are just used at home or during lessons etc.

chiefgrooveguru

Whatever you get, get one that clicks, not one that beeps: Clicks are natural and musical to learn to groove with, beeps are not!

john_drummer
    Free Member

get him a drummer 😉

leffeboy

Clicks are natural and musical to learn to groove with, beeps are not!

Just for info for the OP, the one I recommended beeps but in a sort of clicky way if that makes sense. It works well for me but if you want to avoid beeps completely then you need to avoid that model. On portability – yes it is.

nickc

The sole reason any self respecting 13 yr old needs a wind up metronome

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEIeb85DkCs[/video]

😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

an electronic one will fit on his guitar case or pocket and be more luggable/chuckable. A wooden pyramid one is fairly large and damageable. It would be like giving him either an digital watch or a grandfather clock respectively.
    They ones in link look ok as basically they flash or htey bleep or click at each beat nothing really to them. Prefer the look features of db-30 sole metronome assuming he can tune the guitar.
    clicks are better FWIW

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Metronome choices are very much a personal thing, dependent on personality more than anything. What makes him tick?

gonefishin
    Free Member

He doesn’t need a metronome. In fact I’d go as far as to say that getting one is actually a bad idea as he will never really develop a feel for what speed things should be played at if he relies on a mechanical device “telling him”.

The only time I used a metronome was when I was practicing scales for my Grade 8 exam and I hated it.

plumber
    Free Member

With respect to gone fishin’s view – I would say every musician needs a metronome as ‘part’ of their practice regime. Otherwise you’ll end up with the timing of a drummer

I say get a cheap drum machine rather than a metronome though – it’ll be more useful in the long term

gonefishin
    Free Member

I would say every musician needs a metronome as ‘part’ of their practice regime.

I agree but not at Grade 3. Being able to keep time yourself without any external aid is an important skill to learn.

Otherwise you’ll end up with the timing of a drummer

Then only hang around with musicians 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Obviously you need to be able to play without a metronome I dont think anyone is saying differently. However if you need to play at x BPM/tempo the best way of learning what this is is via practice with a metronome. Once you have learned this you dont need it much.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What metronome???’ is closed to new replies.