Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What memories do catalogues evoke from your childhood?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Catalogue Shopping

Apparently the University of Worcester are putting the whole archive of Kays Catalogues online to see what memories they evoke.

There’s no end of sniggering to be had. So what memories do they evoke for you eh? 😳

I remember one poor unfortunate at school who, rumour had it, had been caught ‘inflagrate’ with selected pages of Gratton’s finest adhered to cardboard and then covered in clear, easy clean plastic, just like our school books used to be covered, except that was for a different reason altogether.

montylikesbeer

erm …………… what a question to ask, as a “left footer” don’t I have enough childhood angst and guilt already !

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The autumn/winter editions were always the best for a good selection of almost see-through lingerie for dads to buy mums.

Apparently.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Much “slate-eyed pistoning” I am guessing.

philconsequence
    Free Member

argos catalogue = christmas and birthday present ideas 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

early 80s Madison Catalogue = First Ridgebacks!

soma_rich
    Free Member

I remember poring over the Caratti(Is that how it was spelt?) GT importers catalogue there was so much I NEEDED in there!

nbt

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4[/video]

Kevevs
    Free Member

apart from the slim, good lookin women in skimpy knickers and bras. Oooh!
    Trainers, sports labels that I thought were important when I was a kid. stuff that kids think is important.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I feel a vague sense of guilt and shame looking back…

*kicks feet*

Edit – nice find NBT!

uplink
    Free Member

I had so many pairs of shoes from the catalogue that I ended up with club feet

🙂

Almost on topic, although possibly an urban myth;
    The Kays building in Worcester was left standing long after it became redundant because there’s a load of radio transmitters on the roof, including one used by the police, and the penalty for terminating the contracts would have been greater than the profit from knocking it down and developing the site.

derek_starship
    Free Member

You could buy shotguns and air rifles from Gratton. How times have changed eh?

yunki
    Free Member

bitter disappointment and furious winking

footflaps

I had one of the first Ridegbacks – 601 or something like that….

used to love looking at the groupsets in the Madison catalogue…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Either the models were shaving or airbrushing was happening even back then.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Bizarrely I have this memory…

She was a PR/Marketing woman (famous for smoking cigars in the boardroom) who did all the marketing for a catalogue based in Bradford. A seriously scary woman and even had a television programme dedicated to her. I once tried to get a job at her company as it was one of the best places around at the time.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Apparently the University of Worcester are putting the whole archive of Kays Catalogues online to see what memories they evoke.

Bet they’ll be edited though!

They used to show (whispers) children in underwear (waits for ‘ooooh’ from audience). And in my year at school was one such model!

Rumour has it they might even remove the lower half of table shots (you know, so no one can see the legs). 😉

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Littlewoods and Palm and her 5 friends, good times, yes good times, ahhhhhhhhhh.

GJP
    Free Member

Being able to have a new pair of Levi 501 jeans for £1.22 a week for 20 weeks. Nothing short of legalised loan sharks!

nicko74

Why is Michael Caine wearing a wig in that picture?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He was auditioning for mrs doubtfire

bruneep

derek_starship – Member

You could buy shotguns and air rifles from Gratton. How times have changed eh?

Yup got my air rifle from Janet Fraser on easy terms £1.57 for a gazillon weeks

TheBrick
    Free Member

Hustler.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What memories do catalogues evoke from your childhood?’ is closed to new replies.