Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What makes the perfect 24hr Solo/endurance bike?
  • Kryton57

No, I won’t be buying it 🙂

I was just reading some Guy Martin stuff, that leading on to some Orange Gyro reviews, which led on to etc….

So I’m interested in the overall opinions on the “best” bike and setups, Wheelsize? Weight? Material? Mechanical Simplicity vs VPP vs DW? Shock tunes/pressures?

Let the opinions commence:

kcal

from the HTH 550, would seem to be hardtail, often SS. that may not be what you want to hear! Same for the ‘puffer, often.

sandwicheater

Lasers, rocket pack and drinks holder.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toxicsoks
    Free Member

Iron Horse Sunday World Cup – end of thread.

GregMay
    Free Member

Something you can ride for a day. Simple enough. And then ride the next day. And again. And again.

stevied
    Free Member

One that’s like those driver-less cars so you can nip off into the woods for a good night’s sleep..

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Anything that’s comfortable.

munrobiker
    Free Member

When I was winning them comfort and light weight were key. 24 hours on a hardtail would ruin my back and, towards the end, would not forgive mistakes leading to falls.

I ran a Giant Anthem that was about 23-24lbs and was incredibly fast. Most guys seemed to be on full suspension bikes at the top.

AlasdairMc

For the HTR550, steel hardtail 29ers seem to be the bikes of choice, with tubeless tyres near mandatory.

Some rigid riders or 29+, but generally comfort over a long period of time is what you’re looking for, whether comfort through lower weight or through shock absorbance up front.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Shand Stoater FT

maxtorque

Pretty much “made” by a suitable hard as nails rider imo…… 😉

njee20
    Free Member

As with any event it’ll depend on the course and the rider.

Personally I’d choose a light 29er FS bike assuming big budget, otherwise I’d likely go 29er hardtail.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Shand Stoater FT

That looks epic! I’ve got a surly KM frame and fork at home, just deciding which bits to get to make a very similar bike.

DanW
    Free Member

One that fits you properly

Oh, and it must come with the MTB equivalent of the Stig who can do a quick swap with you in the middle of the night

mikertroid
    Free Member

I did my first 24h solo this year on my five mainly for comfort reasons. It was fine but maybe could have done with more gears than my 1×10 setup as my knees got chuffing sore on the climbs.

Next year I’m planning to do it on a 29er HT that I’ve yet to buy. I’ll probably get a Pinnacle Ramin 5 as I ride a Ramin 4 overseas and love it; could just do with it being a bit lighter for race use.

No point in me spending too much more as I’m more of a plodder than a racing snake!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What makes the perfect 24hr Solo/endurance bike?’ is closed to new replies.