Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • what makes certain cars "completely unnecessary"?
  • dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

The jealousy argument is bit of a kop out I think. The fact is most RR’s are a bit garish and a hefty portion of the most category are completely gaudy. All just my opinion though.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Drive what you want, as long as it comes from your pocket and not others, who is to say what is right or wrong. **** em, feed them rice.
    (But, 4×4’s are totally uncalled for unless you live in a field…. 😉 )

zokes
    Free Member

4×4 you say?

16 – easy….

ransos
    Free Member

People round here don’t like others being able to afford nice cars.

Drive whatever you like. But I suspect that what you consider to be “nice” others think is pointless and tacky, so do try not to get offended.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s unnecessary but cause of the amount of fuel it pisses up the wall for no reason. Plenty of nice comfy cars that’ll do 50+ mpg, no need at all to be driving around at 20mpg. You may not be doing many miles, but however many you do you’re still wasting fuel in a a Range Rover. Unless you really have a use for a capable off road vehicle, and I don’t just mean a muddy drive.

That’s all there is to it. Fuel is finite, don’t waste it.

jam-bo

It’s unnecessary but cause of the amount of fuel it pisses up the wall for no reason. Plenty of nice comfy cars that’ll do 50+ mpg, no need at all to be driving around at 20mpg. You may not be doing many miles, but however many you do you’re still wasting fuel in a a Range Rover. Unless you really have a use for a capable off road vehicle, and I don’t just mean a muddy drive.

That’s all there is to it. Fuel is finite, don’t waste it.

so whats worse,

unnecessary trips in an worthwhile car or worthwhile trips in an unnecessary car?

Northwind

I think there’s such a thing as the ideal car, which obviously isn’t the same for everyone. My denty mondeo with its protective crust of mud and its concealed nice spec and additional horses suits me very well, I can fill it with filthy bikes, park it in a ditch, and generally treat it poorly without feeling bad. 50+mpg and the ability to smoke the tyres at will is a good combo. A well used hammer. I wouldn’t use a shiny one the same way. But if someone wants a shiny car, why not?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so whats worse,

unnecessary trips in an worthwhile car or worthwhile trips in an unnecessary car?
    There will be an equation with mpg and fuel costs for a monetary answer however getting rid of both will be a start. After that just remember all the amazing things that oil can produce and then think about burning it.

molgrips
    Free Member

so whats worse,

I don’t know. But it’s not either/or is it? Having an economical car shoudln’t make you drive more. If it does, your mileage is limited by your pocket, when it should be limited by your conscience.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Diesel engines & clever suspension have made so many huge cars drive like smaller, more agile cars. Just when a lot of clever science types say we should be cutting back on what we burn. I guess that’s what gets to people like me.

Plus I see so many people who move to the country and think they need a 4×4. No one seems to warn them that they’ve actually built ‘roads’ between all the villages.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

Who cares what anybody drives. Just be thankful we have the choice in this country. Some people have more disposable income than others and can afford a more expensive car. Doesn’t make them any better or worse than the person who buys a banger. Same goes for bikes!!!

ransos
    Free Member

ome people have more disposable income than others and can afford a more expensive car.

There’s a common misconception on stw, that if you don’t drive an expensive car, it’s because you can’t afford one.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

No doubt I will get the calls of envy and bitterness but I personally don’t like the new wave of big beefy 4X4’s but it’s just because I find them obscene in the same way I find giant supermarkets obscene. It’s not a logical argument I’m sure but when I see a behemoth of a 4X4 lodged into a parking space I cringe. I’m afraid I can’t help but sneer at the owners. I think they must be lacking something in their life.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with an expensive car – they do make expensive but economical ones.

prawny

My wife’s uncle has one of these.

Does he win?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with an expensive car – they do make expensive but economical ones.

Yeah exactly, rich people having been showing off to poor people for eons and we’ll always find a way to do that. Fair enough.

But Brute Force Engineering? That’s so 20th century.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I cringe in proxy embarrassment at the sight of a vehicle with “personal” numberplates.

Obviously the only logical explanation must be that I’m envious and bitter.

Although I like to pretend that I don’t give a toss what other people are driving.

fatalbert
    Free Member

I drive a 4×4 to work, where I then jump in a 8×8 and move heavy things off road.

Contemplating buying a Audi just for the shop run.

kimbers

I thought stw had established that pretty much anyone can get a VAG(cringe), bmw, faux 4×4 etc etc on HP

so people can drive what they want

although this thread is doing quite a good job of reinforcing the stereotype of people driving said cars being arrogant tossers who feel the need to compensate for some sort of inadequacy 😕

prawny

Just realised my pic didn’t work. This is the fella.

Jamie
    Free Member

although this thread is doing quite a good job of reinforcing the stereotype of people driving said cars being arrogant tossers who feel the need to compensate for some sort of inadequacy

I imagine if people were always ragging on your *insert property here*, then anyone would get defensive after a while?

…and they do say the best form of defence, is offence.

Peyote
    Free Member

All cars are completely unnecessary… …to me. I think the point is that “unnecessary” is a subjective judgement. Just because I think they are it doesn’t mean you have to as well.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Drive what you want, I say. Paint it pink and cover the seats with tigerskin* if you fancy – oils gonna get used up one way or another.

“The problem of the commons” and all that.

* fake, obviously, before I burn in hell.

Sandwich

* fake, obviously, before I burn in hell.

If you’re going to burn fuel at a prodigous rate then seat covers should be tiger skin, rhino horn and ivory controls in the cabin are de rigeur too.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘what makes certain cars "completely unnecessary"?’ is closed to new replies.