Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • what makes certain cars "completely unnecessary"?
  • buzz1024
    Free Member

Having just read the “some idiot in a completely unnecessary 4×4 ran over my bike” thread I was just wondering how we decide which cars are unnecessary?
    I have an unnecessary Range Rover and an unnecessary Mercedes 7 seat V220 – I like the RR because it’s comfy and nice to drive – I also like the large V8 engine 😀 – unnecessary I suppose as I don’t need 4 wheel drive very often.
    I like the Merc as well – it’s also nice and comfy – sometimes I put stuff in it like kids or bikes but most of the time it only has 2 of us in it so also unnecessary.
    I’ve also just not long got rid of a completely unnecessary 145mph Merc – obviously it went over 70mph so was unnecessary.
    Also I’m the only driver in our house so having more than one car is unnecessary I suppose.
    Should I get rid of them and get a smart car or a Focus?
    What car should I get so I no longer get classed as an idiot who drives a “Chelsea tractor”?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think this thread’s a bit unnecessary.

legend
    Free Member

I think they become unnecessary when you start threads just to tell folk that you have expensive cars.

johndoh
    Free Member

Buzz, you ‘re amazing. Can I touch you?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Swoons……

matt_outandabout

buzz1024
    Free Member

But they’re not expensive – I own and run both for less than it would cost to have a nearly new Audi or Skoda vRS.

trail_rat
    Free Member

This is communist track world – where we all drive ladas and trabants at 55

jam-bo

This is communist track world – where we all drive ladas and trabants at 55

55 is more of an aspiration in one of them.

benji
    Free Member

I hope you carry copies of your vehicle excise duty discs whilst out on your bike, as you must own the road, paying for that pair of unnecessary vehicles 😉

angeldust
    Free Member

Jealousy, mostly.

Jamie
    Free Member

What a cheery thread…

scaredypants

I suspect most people mean ostentatious when they say unnecessary – course that’s pretty subjective, so drive what you like

(don’t feel too obliged to post about it though 😉 )

I_Ache
    Free Member

What you need is a shitty diesel Octavia and you will fit right in. People round here don’t like others being able to afford nice cars.

I for one would love to have a V8 RR but alas I can only afford a focus and as that isn’t a vag car I am a tit too.

felt
    Free Member

You must conform to the way of thinking of the majority of STW’ers!

No 4×4, no Audi A6, no Orange bikes!

these are the rules that must be obeyed!

🙄

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve got a 4×4 A6 actually.

No Orange though.

AdamW
    Free Member

Ha! 4×4 is nothing.

I’ve got a 5×5. So there!

jam-bo

4×4 a3 diesel and two oranges.

Do I win the internet tonight?

johndoh
    Free Member

Is it orange?

jam-bo

The orange?

Smudger666

Edit: Bloody hell, I type,some pish when pished. Bit of an oxymoron really.

OP don’t feel guilty, haters gonna hate.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

OP don’t feel guilty

You got the impression he was feeling guilty ?

chambord
    Free Member

OP don’t feel guilty, haters gonna hate

He doesn’t feel guilty he’s just trying to pull your strings innit

piemonster

Buzz, you ‘re amazing. Can I touch you?

You can touch me if you like…..for a price

felt
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    4×4 a3 diesel and two oranges.

Do I win the internet tonight?

You should be ashamed of yourself! 😈

buzz1024
    Free Member

I hope you carry copies of your vehicle excise duty discs whilst out on your bike, as you must own the road, paying for that pair of unnecessary vehicles

yep – sure do – of course I own the road – I also drive in the middle of narrow country roads and find the 4WD completely necessary for bumping up on the kerb right outside the kids school :wink

Seriously though – I have the RR because I like it – it has been off road and I like having 4WD in the winter – it runs LPG so doesn’t kill off all the children in the 3rd world and actually works out fairly cheap to run – the Merc is due to having 4 kids and not wanting some crappy fold up seats in the boot – it also converts to a van for carrying bikes and kipping in.
    I was attempting to make a point (had do so in a slightly sarcastic way due to bumping into the infamous GW last week :D) – the point being that on here anyones right to ride whatever bike the like is defended to the hilt (6″ travel for tow paths) but why do some posters come over like Daily Mail journalists and embellish posts/stories with irrelevant info.

for the records – 4.6 V8 Range Rover, Ragley Piglet, Genesis Latitude and a beard 😆

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Edit: Bloody hell, I type,some pish when pished. Bit of an oxymoron really.

Knew I should have copied and pasted it so you could have had a re-read of it in the morning. But I think you got away with it, just don’t mention poor people who earn a lot less than you…. Most people apparently.

buzz1024
    Free Member

chambord – Member
    OP don’t feel guilty, haters gonna hate
    He doesn’t feel guilty he’s just trying to pull your strings inni

well, it is Sunday evening 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

why do some posters come over like Daily Mail journalists

You mean like overreact when someone makes an off-the-cuff comment such as “some idiot in a completely unnecessary 4×4 ran over my bike” ?

I don’t know…….ask yourself 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Only if that price is a feeling of shame.

chewkw
    Free Member

There is no such thing as unnecessary car.
    It is the freedom to travel places …

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I was attempting to make a point (had do so in a slightly sarcastic way due to bumping into the infamous GW last week :D) – the point being that on here anyones right to ride whatever bike the like is defended to the hilt (6″ travel for tow paths) but why do some posters come over like Daily Mail journalists and embellish posts/stories with irrelevant info.

I think you should sell your 4X4. It seems to make you quite sensitive and prone to anxiety. Owning a 4X4 by all accounts is more of a problem to the owner than anyone else.

buzz1024
    Free Member

Only if that price is a feeling of shame

is that the same price as an Audi A3 and an Orange 5?

You mean like overreact when someone makes an off-the-cuff comment such as “some idiot in a completely unnecessary 4×4 ran over my bike” ?

I don’t know…….ask yourself

I only get to overreact one day a month – and todays the day 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

popstar
    Free Member

I happen to like bigger and comfier cars. At a time BMW with V8 was perfect car, then Audi Quattro V8 just changed my opinion that jealousy is in fact, complete unnecessary.

I don’t know why people prefer small cars and fiercely defend their choice as superior. In fact, I used to have Golf it was good fun etc but I wouldn’t rant at people who have superior cars.

More unnecessary cars people own, better 2nd hand car values to be had. It sounds like those who rant have some real issues.

I don’t buy into green BS agenda though. Motoring is all about comfort and convenience, screw those cheap little shait boxes. Get real man’s car, the one which can accommodate you with ladies and things.

+n1

chewkw
    Free Member

I like Toyota 4 x 4 Landcruiser 4.2 litre that builds like a tank to protect me from zombies out there.

Drive whatever you like but drive carefully and responsibly.

😈

buzz1024
    Free Member

popstar – Member
    I happen to like bigger and comfier cars. At a time BMW with V8 was perfect car, then Audi Quattro V8 just changed my opinion that jealousy is in fact, complete unnecessary.

I don’t know why people prefer small cars and fiercely defend their choice as superior. In fact, I used to have Golf it was good fun etc but I wouldn’t rant at people who have superior cars.

More unnecessary cars people own, better 2nd hand car values to be had. It sounds like those who rant have some real issues.

I don’t buy into green BS agenda though. Motoring is all about comfort and convenience, screw those cheap little shait boxes. Get real man’s car, the one which can accommodate you with ladies and things.

+n1

Couldn’t agree more – I really couldn’t care less what people drive/ride – it’s all down to personal choice. I like buying older quality cars as I do all my own maintenance and I know that generally they’ll last longer ( when I find a car I really like I tend to keep it for a long time) – It’s the same with bikes but the big kid in me always wants to adhere to the n+1 theory for ideal number of methods of transport.
    I’m lucky in that I can bike to work and only do around 3/4000 miles a year so can run what I like – not like the old days when I did a high mileage and had to concern myself with MPG etc

CountZero

I_Ache – Member
    What you need is a shitty diesel Octavia and you will fit right in. People round here don’t like others being able to afford nice cars.

I for one would love to have a V8 RR but alas I can only afford a focus and as that isn’t a vag car I am a tit too.

Funny that; they don’t like people having nice houses, either. FWIW, I’ve got a diesel Octavia, I wouldn’t call it shitty, though it is becoming a shit brown because I haven’t bothered to wash it since last year. I’d love a RR Sport, the new, super whizzy one the Stig took round Silverstone. I’d have a clear vinyl wrap on it, some hefty off-road tyres, and explore the remotest places these islands have to offer.
    So there!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Superior 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘what makes certain cars "completely unnecessary"?’ is closed to new replies.