Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What MAC/CS5 set-up?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’m going to be getting a MAC for design work/freelancing, working mostly from home.

I’m a bit old skool, what are people out there using? And what’s the most cost effective – this is an issue!

I was thinking Macbook, because of the convenience? Is CS5 smooth and capable on a Macbook?

Sorry in advance to any Apple nerds, . . . but to me it’s just a tool! 🙂

Cheers

the-muffin-man

The only downside to running on a Macbook is the screen size. IMO you need a big monitor to make the best of the app as there are lots of floating menus which eat into screenspace.

Speedwise it will be fine.

Raindog
    Free Member

I’ve got a 20″ iMac, and I would rather have a bigger screen.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

bump . . . tish

anymore?

jeff

cost effective? perhaps a new mac mini and a something like a samsung 24″ monitor for about £120

I’m a developer though so maybe you need a higher quality screen.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Macbook Air and a separate monitor? You could get a decent set-up for about £1200

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

When I first started freelancing I bought macbook pro and used an additional cheap 24″ screen as a main work monitor. The reason was that I wanted to be able to take stuff with me and tinker whilst with clients and also to be able to run windows via bootcamp. It worked fine but once I had a bit more money put aside I added a 27″ imac which is now my everyday workhorse. I still have the original 24″ monitor which I occasionally use as a second monitor if what I’m working on requires it.

CS5 runs perfectly well on the now couple of year old mackbook pro so would only be better on a current model.

Loved the idea of the magic mouse but found that i can’t really use it for really extended times without getting a sore hand/wrist so have swapped back a less clever but more ergonomic logitech mouse.

Current cheapest way would probably be a mac mini and an external monitor as jeff said but will you also need something portable?

DrJ

I was thinking Macbook

Think again – it was withdrawn from Apple’s product line a couple of weeks ago. Nearest replacement is the entry level 13″ MBP. I run CS5 on my MBP with 4G memory, and to be honest I could do with more horsepower.

MrSmith
    Free Member

if you are going portable then dont get a macbook or macbook air but get a macbook pro, better graphics card (for open CL) and faster processors. they now have quad core in the 15in

i use a new 13in pro with 8gb ram and a 24in Eizo/ wacom/ bluetooth keyboard and have no problem with CS5 files up to a couple of GB, i’m waiting for an external thunderbolt drive to be available so i can use a scratch disk to speed things up a bit more as disk writing of swap files is the bottleneck. i did think about getting the OWC kit to swap the media drive for a small ssd as a scratch disk but will wait for the thunderbolt drives instead.

binners

I use a 17″ Macbook Pro and find the monitor plenty big enough. It’ll run all applications seamlessly

I’d recommend you get yourself one of those, an external keyboard and mouse, and a stand to raise the laptop to eye level. In all honesty once I’d got this set up I found i wasn’t using my G5 desktop at all.

The macbook is very handy for taking out to present work to clients too

MrSmith
    Free Member

the new macbookpros are way quicker than the previous versions. the cheapest/slowest current model is as fast as the last version maxed out. so if you are buying new any anecdotal reference needs to state which model as there was such a big jump in performance.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I run CS5 on my MBP with 4G memory, and to be honest I could do with more horsepower.

I guess its going to come down to what you’re doing with CS5, its uses are pretty varied. I do very little work with print resolution images as most of my work is either vector based or at screen resolution which I’ve found to be OK.

ericemel
    Free Member

Firstly find soemone who can get you student discount, I even get it as a CIMA student (even though I am not studying). Massive discount.

Get the biggest screen you can afford! My wife is a designer and is always complaining about the small screen on laptops. IMHO screen size is more important than speed – even the macbook airs are damn fast.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I guess its going to come down to what you’re doing with CS5,

this^ i’m regularly hitting the 4gb limit for saving PSD’s.
    will be upgrading to 16gb Ram as soon as the price becomes sensible

jeff

There are rumours of new Mac Book Pros coming in time for Xmas – as slim as the Air – have a look on the the register.

_tom_
    Free Member

Most cost effective way would be a good Windows 7 machine running the same Adobe software.. if you need other mac-only software then do a hackintosh – better specced machine for half the money.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve been using photoshop since version 2.5 and didn’t even realise there was a 4gb limit on filesize. Ignorance truly is bliss.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve got a 20″ iMac, and I would rather have a bigger screen.

I have a 27″ and would like a bigger screen.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Most cost effective way would be a good Windows 7 machine running the same Adobe software.. if you need other mac-only software then do a hackintosh – better specced machine for half the money.

This is true, particularly if you are working purely in isolation, once in the software the platform is pretty much irrelevant.

I have had some odd results with a couple of typefaces cross platform in flash, leading in particular seemed to go completely out of whack on the PC whilst is was fine on the mac. Same files, same fonts, completely different appearance. Only happened with a couple of typefaces but I never did get to the bottom of what was causing it.

It can create a bit of a hullabaloo turning up at a exclusively mac agency with a PC though which may be a hassle you don’t need. So long as you know how to integrate your PC to their network then it shouldn’t be a real problem, but don’t expect to receive much help from anybody else in the studio if you do run into a platform related issue.

binners

*do what i say, not what i do alert*

erm… yeah. When I said a 17″ Macbook Pro screen is quite adequate, I’m presently staring at my 27″ Cinema Display, which is luuuuuuuuuuuuuurverly 😀

Just don’t ever turn the webcam on! Ever! You’re greeted with your face staring gormlessly back at yourself like a massive, over-sized HD mirror. Truly terrifying!!!!

It can create a bit of a hullabaloo turning up at a exclusively mac agency with a PC though

In most places i’ve freelanced it’d be tantamount to lopping your cock out and pissing on the rug 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

The 27″ displays are lovely for big Logic/FCP/Pro Tools/PS projects – so much more manageable 🙂

It can create a bit of a hullabaloo turning up at a exclusively mac agency with a PC though which may be a hassle you don’t need.

Good point, however the OP mentions freelance/working from home so not sure if this will be a problem. Although, I guess clients will probably like it more if you turn up with a macbook or ipad rather than a windows machine which is quite ridiculous in itself.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Thanks all, plenty to ponder on.

Hmmm, I may know just the student . . . .

ericemel
    Free Member

Hmmm, I may know just the student . . . .

Yep…Basic 17″ Pro

Reg: £2,099
    Student: £1,784

Deffo worth it – saving is even greater for CS5 but not sure you can really use that to earn money with…but its 80% off – and I have just read the small print and it only says you have to own it on your private machine.

MrSmith
    Free Member

£1609 from the applestore with a trade association discount and the vat off. a more viable option if you run a business.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What MAC/CS5 set-up?’ is closed to new replies.