Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • What low cost chinese light is worth having (good beam patter (exposure maxx d))
  • fbk
    Free Member

Another vote for Smudge and mtbbatteries.com here. Yes, there are always folk who are going to go with the cheapest they can get and good luck to them – I’ve done the same in the past and nothing wrong with that. It’s just refreshing to have a light that arrives when you order it, works well, looks good and you have great backup should something go wrong. I feel it’s a happy medium.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Do any of these suggestions put out light that is anywhere near as pleasent as a exposure maxx-d?

If it costs £20, it costs £20, if it costs £100, so be it. Just as long as it’s not exposure prices, im happy. Not contesting whether exposure prices are worth it, they are really, really good, just not what im looking to spebd at the moment.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Solarstorm XT40 from Fast tech and it comes with a waterproof battery box,

that is the same box as olly sells.

Here’s an apparently good smart charger :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390698413063&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

Just keep away from any batteries with ‘Fire’ in their name…

sv

that is the same box as olly sells.

They can be had from Blackshadow Technology along with the Solarstorm lights. Decent prices too email ‘nancy@blackshadow.co’ for a quote.

Northwind

deanfbm – Member

Do any of these suggestions put out light that is anywhere near as pleasent as a exposure maxx-d?

TBH very few. Some are very entry-level suggestions, like the single-XMLs, others are in the same ballpark powerwise like the Solarstorms but more spotlighty. Trouble is that few of the budget lights do a really good spread beam which is what the maxx-d does, so it’s harder to find something to match that.

The ones I mentioned- the 4 XPE/XPG Magicshines and Fluxients- are a very similiar light design to the maxx-d, just not selfcontained.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Cheers Northwind.

HindlePie
    Free Member

Having had a cheap set of lights die on me half way around Llandegla, leaving me whimpering like a girl in a pitch black forest, waiting for my mates to realise I missing and come and find me

Oh my, how we laughed. “Like a baby…” I believe is the phrase.

binners

It wasn’t bloody funny!!!*

I could have been left permanently mentally scarred! Or eaten by a big scary monster!!!

* disclaimer: it would actually have been absolutely bloody hilarious if it happened to anyone else other than me 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you are near Horsell in Surrey I have my gloworms, an SSX2 and a Yingding that you could have a look at the beam patterns from.

townydc
    Free Member

I’ve been running an MJ-872 for 2 years now without a single problem, so I would highly recommend one.

(hopefully I haven’t given it the kiss of death)

zippykona

How does the Fluxient U2 Mini compare to the solar storms?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

How does the Fluxient U2 Mini compare to the solar storms?

it doesn’t.

the U2 mini is a single LED and produces a bit of a tunnel of light that you are riding into – the SSX2 is much more spread out, as it the Yingding.

The U2 mini is more of a helmet light, but as I said the Exposure Joystick that Torchy reckons kills it is actually much nicer.

mattkennedy
    Free Member

Solarstorm x2 £28 eBay. Uk charger

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Solarstorm x2 £28 eBay. Uk charger

and unknown quality of battery…

jkomo

So, is there a fifty quid light decent battery decent charger combo?

sv

XT 40 from Fast Tech, 4 x 18650 batteries from torchy and i4 smart charger from the bay. £65 or so all in. That’s a 4 led light, not sure if the X2 comes with the battery box from fast tech.

p8ddy
    Free Member

In terms of light quality –

My SolarStorm X2 has now a fair chunk of manky winter riding. Including a period when, thanks to Race Blade mudguards pitiful coverage, rain water was being directed into the front of the light for the duration of many rides.

My bike is used everyday to commute (10 miles), so the light’s getting a decent test. It’s performed flawlessly. Still working great. And very waterproof. 😉

My set up is X2 light, Torchy battery and Torchy charger. With some canny shopping you could put this together for not much money –

Light only – £13
    Battery – £20
    Charger – £8

For me, that’s unbeatable value for money. Binners is right, the battery and charger quality are poor with the SolarStorm (and some chargers are downright dangerous) – but that doesn’t mean a safe reliable light can’t be had for little outlay. You’d struggle to buy a Moon xp300 for the sort of money I shelled out, and the X2 beats my mates dual xp500 setup for brightness (with a very similar beam pattern). I also get better battery life.

It’s also important to note that spending more doesn’t guarantee a better quality product. Look at the number of reports of unreliable Hope lights for example. Personally, if you make an educated purchase you’ll make a good one.

Brand name and cost doesn’t equal quality any more than Chinese and cheap means rubbish.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

that mtblights X2 package for 55, although he doesn’t have any in stock atm.

but you’d still want a helmet light.

franksinatra

So, is there a fifty quid light decent battery decent charger combo?

that mtblights X2 package for 55, although he doesn’t have any in stock atm.

His set is actually £65 and is in stock. I’m happy paying a few quid extra to get the 12 month guarantee and customer service

cr500dom
    Free Member

beamends – Member

this is the one im on about, look good but sure they use to be less than £30, now selling for £100!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1600-lumen-Mini-Bike-Bicycle-Cycle-Light-Cree-XML-XM-L-U2-LED-Rechargeable-/221327172954?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item338820a55a

I have one, paid a lot less than £100 for it too, its like half a solastorm x2 funnily enough.
    HAd some hassle with the bracket they supplied, but they found me an original QR one in the end after I opened a case through ebay.

I brought it to Sugru into a low profile helmet mount and it will do that job perfectly.
    Battery does not look that waterproof, but its all very neat and compact with along enough cable to put the battery in a pack / pocket

QR mount will go on the solastorm, as its neater than a hope mount

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

His set is actually £65

he was selling them for 55 on ebay, as I mentioned earlier.

jkomo

Cheers

kane10255
    Free Member

If interested I have 2 of these and only need one so its up for grabs!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-mtb-light

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘What low cost chinese light is worth having (good beam patter (exposure maxx d))’ is closed to new replies.