Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What Loctite for….
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

…. A loose bearing?

I’ve got an old hub where the bearing is slightly loose in its shell. (Yes, it’s a new bearing…) What gunk will tighten it up please?

Ta muchly 🙂

TrevorB

648 Retaining Compound, but you will need heat on it when the time comes to replace the bearing.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cool, thanks, that sounds perfect. 🙂

Conespanner

If there’s a little interference or size for size, 643 (blue stuff) would do it, and would allow you to knock the bearing it out as normal. The green gunk (648) would take some moving if you change the bearing in the future, so always use as a last resort.

rocketman
    Free Member

Loctite 638 works well depending on your definition of ‘slightly loose’. It’s specifically for round objects that fit easily into round holes and would otherwise fall out.

Cromwell sell small tubes a few ml goes a long way. Easy to remove using the mrs best hairdryer and IPA

singletrackmind

Same for a 575 main pivot bearing?
    Just pulled mine apart looking for play in the rear triangle and the bearings were gravelly.
    Pretty much finger tight in the frame and I suspect some rotation may already occured.

Del

yep. i use it a fair bit at work and some boiling water will sort it when the time comes, but then, that comes in pretty handy for pulling a lot of bearings, loctite or no.

jonnouk
    Free Member

Centre punch and a hammer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What Loctite for….’ is closed to new replies.