• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by timba.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What lock barrel do I need to Google (garage door)
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

I’ve got an electric garage door with an external override in case the power is off. This is basically a very long hex key that winds the door up from the outside. The access to the hex socket is covered with a metal plate and a lock cylinder that slides out when you turn the key.

I don’t have a key for it, I’ve removed the cylinder but not sure what I need to Google for as it’s replacement! As far as I can tell you just put key in, turn it and the cylinder slides out of its housing so you can then insert the hex key handle into the socket behind.

Thanks

redthunder
    Free Member

Drill it out ?

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Can you give us a size and/or photo? (Of the Cylinder!!)

lakesrider
    Free Member

This is what I need or similar

32.2mm Override Lock C235

I’ve managed to remove the old one by releasing it from the inside, but apart from the company above I can’t find any other suppliers. I emailed to see if I could buy a new lock but they only sell a minimum of 100! All the garage door companies I’ve contacted want me to buy the whole access pack for about £130 they won’t just sell me a lock barrel. No numbers or name on the lock so I cant get new keys cut.

It’s pretty much the same shape as key switch locks, but I need the inside core to be removable so I can get the long hex key in to wind the door up.

squirrelking
    Free Member

That’s a wafer lock, suitable for work and canteen lockers, same as the crappy ones on cheap cash boxes and key presses. They can be opened very easily, in fact I’ve picked them with nothing more than the tail of a zip tie.

I’d find a better solution to secure your kit, any professional thief will be in there in the same time with a jiggler as it takes you to use a key.

blue77
    Free Member

A good locksmith might be able to ‘decode’ the lock for you and make a new key for it.

That said those locks are really low security. It won’t stop some one for too long from getting into your garage.

lakesrider
    Free Member

Any ideas then, I need to secure a covering over a hole in the wall like this

https://lirp.cdn-website.com/cff40d41/dms3rep/multi/opt/IMG_20200315_092035_805-1920w.jpg

Although that’s even less secure than mine, at least my plate is held on with security screws!

Basically you put key in, turn the lock and remove the barrel than there’s a long hex key goes through the wall to a socket on the inside of the garage which you can wind to open the door. Just need to secure over the hole. There’s no other way in to the garage so if the powers off or the RCD board in the garage trips I can’t get in.

timba
    Free Member

Could you use a key safe with a hole drilled through the back to give hex key access, e.g. https://safeandvaultcompany.co.uk/product-category/safes/key-safes/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.