Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What lightweight camping mat? Bikepacking recommendations
  • damascus
    Free Member

Hi,

My trusty exped synmat 7 UL LW mat has finally blown a baffle and is making it uncomfortable to sleep on. I’m a bit gutted!

A quick Google suggests it’s been fixed now

“The blown baffles were addressed in 2016 with a new interior laminate. The failed baffles we have seen have come from 2015 and prior year mats. As for changes from 2016 to 2017, the 2017 model features a lightly textured top surface called GripSkin to keep you from sliding off your mat. in 2017 the SynMat HL also includes a Schnozzel Pumpbag for inflation.”

So do I dig deep and buy another exped mat or try something different?

I want something with a half decent R rating, at least 190cm long, less than 700g and doesn’t make crinkle noises everytime I move.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks

kormoran
    Free Member

does it have a lifetime warranty?

That aside i have a thermarest xtherm, is is extremely warm, folds down very small and is light as. No noticeable crinkling and I am a fussy camper. Downside is the support on the side is not as good as the synmat design, also crazy expensive now. I have blown a baffle too but it is still useable despite being 9 years old. Very easy to fix a puncture.

To be honest when it dies i’ll probably get an exped for the side support but the xtherm is very good

damascus
    Free Member

All EXPED products carry a 5 year warranty on defects in materials and workmanship.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Synmat is still the best I’ve tried. It is important not to over-inflate it and then, say, kneel on it too sharply though as that will cause baffle failure. IMHO they’re more comfortable when not exactly rock hard too.

damascus
    Free Member

@scotroutes

Yes, I’ve never over inflated it (I think) like you say, a bit of give is much better.

I’ve had it for 5 or so years, it’s been a great mat. The price of them seems to have doubled though.

I don’t mind spending money on kit as long as its going to last!

Oblongbob

Synmat is my favourite too. Maybe just bite the bullet. Other good options I looked at seem to be pretty pricey too

montgomery
    Free Member

Too many mats ending up as landfill for my liking. The basic concept is either flawed, or chasing light weight and low bulk at the cost of sustainability. It’s not acceptable. When my current mat goes (and it will) I’ll be back to using my old Thermarest torso length SIM and/or cut down length of CCF mat.

supernova

I can vouch for the warmth, lightness and toughness of the Thermarest XTherm. Used it for years across several continents and still going strong, if a bit stained and dirty now. Well worth the money.

intheborders
    Free Member

I used an Alpkit Cloudbase for the first time at the weekend.

Very light, cheap, easily long enough for my +6′ frame, comfy and folds down to nothing. Low R value though, est at 2-2.5 so maybe not enough for you, but fine late-Spring thru early Autumn.

Cloud Base

montgomery
    Free Member

Cheap mats don’t last. The Alpkit mat I once had was leaking at the seams within a week. Another load of plastic wasted. Whether or not you get a replacement or refund is incidental, the failure rate for mats is tolerated in a way it wouldn’t be for other items, and it shouldn’t be.

anagallis_arvensis

I got a cheap one from Decathlon,it’s not that small or light but it does the job, hasn’t failed yet but tbf gets light use.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New deal added to Members Discounts