Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What lightweight 26" XC tyre
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m down to my last couple of spare Contintental Speed King Supersonics in 26×2.1″ (from the days before they were a slick tyre) so was wondering what to stockpile now that clown wheels are the mainstream?

What’s the current light, fast 26″ XC tyre of choice and can still be bought?

wzzzz
    Free Member

race king?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a barely used set of Speed king Supersonics left over. Make me an offer?

rents
    Free Member

Bonty XR1 or Small blk 8’s?

schmiken

Schwalbe Fast Fred was fairly similar.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Cheers – the Rocket Rons might be an option if they can be found in the ride size. The Furious Fred looks like it’d be dry conditions only and the Maxxis Ikon seems to weigh a ton.

The Fast Fred’s don’t seem to be well liked and not sure they’re still available. Also doesn’t look like the Bonty XR1’s are available any more. The Small Block 8’s seem to be although they’re not the lightest and I’m not convinced what they’d be like it wetter conditions.

The Conti Race King looks a lot heavier but might be the best option.

thisisnotaspoon – I might take you up on that. How does £40 posted sound for the pair?

kitebikeski
    Free Member

I have a pair of barely used racekings – again make me an offer.

onedpete
    Free Member

I’ve got a pretty much unused Maxxis Aspen folder in 2.25 flavour you can have for a tenner plus the postage. Brilliant tyres, I used one on the rear for years, super quick, but bites well in the turns.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have only recently bought a pair of Maxxis CrossMark II’s that I’m really impressed with, certainly not the lightest but very confidence inspiring for such a fast tyre.

HTH.

schmiken

Just reread and realised you put Speed King, not Race King.

BST bet is a Rocket Ron in 2.1, Michelin Wildgripper, or Ritchey TrailBite/Zmax.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Maxxis Larsen’s, fast and way grippier than they look.

milfordvet
    Free Member

CRC still have Thunder Burts’s in 26″ at £30. I use liteskin’s 2.1 at 440g with latex tubes. They’re light, supple and fast. Don’t hold mud either in the winter. Schwalbe don’t make them now though in 26, so you’d have to stockpile.

If I was doing high mileage and alot of roads I’d look at Continental Race King rubber though as it should last twice as long looking at German tests.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What lightweight 26" XC tyre’ is closed to new replies.