• This topic has 47 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • What lighting arrangement for country lane commute?
  • rydster
    Free Member

My experience is the complete opposite: an unlit cycle path became borderline unusable last year because of dazzling lights coming the other way.

Sounds like the Bridewater canal path near me.

Some people simpily either don’t care or are too ignorant.

It pisses me off.

hubamonster
    Free Member

If we’re having a moan, the new fancy cars that have auto full beam dip dont seem to work for bike lights, which results in me shielding my eyes, or me putting on my big light, which then means I cant see and nor can they.

I dont see that many cyclists on my commute, but if they’ve dazzling me I either shout at them (nicely) or try and educate them, they usually dont even know there’s an issue

jeffl

Ran a Moon Shield on the rear for a number of years. Couldn’t fault it until I got home one day and it wasn’t there. I assume it fell of or the strap snapped. Replaced it with an Exposure TraceR as I couldn’t get the original Moon Shield at a sensible price. Also have an Aldi moon copy on the back set to constant. So yeah make sure you have at least two rear lights.

Sometimes run a blinky light on my helmet as well just to make me a bit more visible in traffic, but that may not be an issue for you if you’re riding down country lanes.

One thing to bear i mind is that your country lanes may be quite winding. So it can be useful to have a high power constant light on the back angled down slightly pointing at the road surface. So even if you’re round a corner then there’s a chance that the driver may see the light on the road, or projected onto the hedges, if you get what I mean.

I also have one of those hi-viz Polaris rucksack covers with reflective sections. When I drive into work in the dark I really notice reflective clothing so would recommend that.

DezB
    Free Member

Sounds like the Bridewater canal path near me

You can drive on a canal path?

crazy-legs

I also have one of those hi-viz Polaris rucksack covers with reflective sections. When I drive into work in the dark I really notice reflective clothing so would recommend that.

Most drivers on unlit country roads will be on main beam so anything reflective like that will stand out a mile away – really worth supplementing any lights with some eye-catching reflective bits.

pampmyride
    Free Member

Bar end light mount – drivers eye height , sort of. … on/off easy and can see if working! made from m/c bar end and dismantled cheapy Chinese bar end mirror. 

BlobOnAStick

I’d agree with most of what’s said – except when the lane is dark, a flashing light on the front sends my eyes wonky. So my advice is that being able to quickly switch the light from low to high and from constant to flashing is important.

Another thing I’ve found helpful is to light myself – wear something bright and have a light shining on my torso (not easy to find a position that doesn’t dazzle yourself, but worthwhile as people see you, not a small bright light that could be a car a kilometre away or a bike a few yards away)

benp1

Big fan of ankle reflective. They immediate identify you as a cyclist

I also prefer a pulsing front light to a flashing one

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘What lighting arrangement for country lane commute?’ is closed to new replies.