Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What light trail / light AM wheels
  • UK-FLATLANDER

Currently running XM819 on CK hubs (20mm front / fun bolt rear) on my 5 Spot, and would like to drop some weight – I like to run tubeless. What would you guys recommend?

jambon
    Free Member

Hope Hoops with Flows are the way I went and am very happy. The XM819 I used to swear by but they are narrower, heavier and not as ding resistant as the flows.

I’m not always a Hope fan but have always liked their hubs and the Hoops are a bargain.

chakaping
    Free Member

would like to drop some weight – I like to run tubeless

Crossmax ST

si69jc
    Free Member

Depends how heavy you are? you could get away with arch ex or even crests on hope hubs!

jonnyrockymountain

American classic wheelset fantastic tubeless lightweight,strong, and there are a few places where you may be able to buy for around £400 (retail at £500)

Northwind

Hmm, I was going to recommend Traverse ELs, they’d be ideal for you, but can’t find anyone that sells them any more.

the_lecht_rocks

Stans Arch EX FTW. I’m totally impressed with my 14 month old builds. Nobby nic and hans dampf on mine. Light fast and grippy. What more do you want ?

danielgroves
    Free Member

Got Pro2’s with Flow EX rims. Lightest, stiffest and strongest wheelset I’ve ever owned… can’t fault them!

Northwind

That’s pretty hefty- downhill-capable wheels. Light for what they are but not what the OP’s after I think.

jonnyrockymountain

Clee cycles has am classics at £419-00 a set

j3ffo
    Free Member

I liked my pro 2 evo on arch ex for AM duties

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rebuild the Hubs onto XM719’s lighter as you don’t need the silly double nipple things. Went tubeless with yellow tape only here. Also nice and tough.

UK-FLATLANDER

Thanks for all your thoughts, was thinking I’d aim for something wider than 19mm too to give better shape to my Hans Dampfs.

bigrich

mavic rims are too narrow. arch EX FTW

orangeboy
    Free Member

Got arch ex on stans 3.30 hubs
    Thought they would be a bit to light but have been very impressed

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bigrich – Member
    mavic rims are too narrow. arch EX FTW

😆 sweeping generalisation…

Current stuff comes up about the same on my EX721’s, XM719’s and compare fine to other wheels round, the 25 & 29mm rims are obviously wider….

Painey
    Free Member

What weight are the current wheels roughly?

messiah
    Free Member

Have you considered Light Bicycle Carbon Rims?

I’m very impressed with the pair I’ve built up onto some Hope Evo hubs. Less than 1500g for the pair (laced with DT Revolutions and alloy nipples).

Keep your CK hubs?

bigrich

sweeping generalisation…

not sweeping, as it’s true

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not sweeping, as it’s true

I’ve had 29mm mavics 🙂 they were nice and wide.. They are measured in the same place according to the tech docs too

Yetiman
    Free Member

Flows on Pro2’s are not going to be any lighter than his current set up. Both my pairs came in at around 1880g with valves and yellow tape while my 819/Pro2’s were 2005g including valves, and I think King hubs are slightly heavier than the Hopes aren’t they?

The 2012 Easton Havens on CRC are probably worth a gamble at £360, they are full UST. Earlier hubs had sealing issues and problems with the pre-load adjuster backing off but I understand this has been addressed on the 2012 version (and if not there’s a free upgrade available). I like my 29er version a lot. If your budget is slightly higher it might be worth looking at the new Syntace wheels. For 600 Euros you get a nice wide 30mm rim and wheel weights of around 1500-1600g. I’m quite tempted to try one of their 29er offerings.

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2460

Rorschach
    Free Member

2nd the Light Bicycles carbons.Build them onto your Cks with some D-lights and bontrager rim strips.OOsh.

akira

Syntace wheels are lovely but if you want front and rear then its about 950 euros, Spank do so e quite interesting rims if you want something different from the usual Stans offerings.

mrblobby
    Free Member

To the chaps recommending carbon rims and building a wheel yourself. How tricky is it to build a with the carbon rims? Suitable for a first timer wheel build or practice on something old first?

matther01
    Free Member

I picked up a new pair of American classic all mountains for £350 at 1600g.

Saving for spank evo oozys at £370 and 1650g

boxfish
    Free Member

To the chaps recommending carbon rims and building a wheel yourself. How tricky is it to build a with the carbon rims? Suitable for a first timer wheel build or practice on something old first?

It’s no more or less difficult than building with alloy rims. And I third the light-bicycle carbon rims. I have them built on DT 240s hubs and I’m rather pleased with their performance.

bigrich

I’ve had 29mm mavics they were nice and wide..

says all mountain, not DH

http://www.light-bicycle.com/wider-mtb-26er-carbon-bike-rim-26-inch-rims.html

bananarama

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

+1 for Crossmax STs. I’m running a set on my own 5 Spot for exactly the described useage, running Hans Dampfs and they are spot on. Light, stiff, strong. Only downside is that Mavic rims aren’t very wide but they support the HDs just fine and mavic rims and way more ding proof than most of the competition so you win out on durability there. Proper UST compatible too.

edd

I can’t see why you would want to (or why people are recommending that you) replace the Chris King hubs.

Get them rebuilt onto Stan’s ZTR Arch EX rims which are tubeless compatible, wider and lighter than the Mavic XM819.

dan45a
    Free Member

another vote for Crossmax ST. I replaced a set of hope hoops (pro2evo on crest) with ST’s.

I find the ST’s better in everyway. They are faster, stronger, engage quicker and tubeless just works.

Only downside as robinlaidlaw mentioned above is the rim width, but they are fine for my trail bike with 2.35 minions.

shortcut

I would replace the rims with Arch EX.

jono
    Free Member

I picked up a new pair of American classic all mountains for £350 at 1600g.

where abouts did you get these from?

ssboggy

What messiah and Rorschach said, get your hubs rebuilt with light bicycle carbon rims

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What light trail / light AM wheels’ is closed to new replies.