• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by smg13.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What Lens for Tour of Britain
  • Freester

Right then. I am working in the vicinity of Wednesday’s stage and have worked out that I can sneak off in time and get to the top of one of the short hills and watch the Peloton roll by.

I’ll probably pedal up so don’t want to carry all my gear. 24-70 or 70-200 lens to get the good shots?

bencooper
    Free Member

I’d go 24-70 if you cons get to the side of the road.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If I didn’t know, I’d take both, can’t weight that much.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    igm

Somewhere in the range 660-734mm (roughly).

That’s the normal answer on here

ce9adp
    Free Member

I’d take neither and enjoy watching the action.

andy8442
    Free Member

Both, but unless you can change lenses lightning quick, you’ll need two bodies. Hmm…..depends where you will get to stand. If you can get head on, then the 70-200. But if you are stuck in the crowd like the Tour, then 24-70.

Take both.

footflaps

Depends how close you can get, I used a 14-24 for the TdF

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oeBtgo]Tour De France 2014 Stage 3 Cambridge Kings College and Peleton[/url] by brf, on Flickr

iain65
    Free Member

Was also hoping to get out on Wednesday’s stage as it follows nearly exactly the same as our return route on our Sunday run the other day back from the Malverns and over Snowshill etc but unfortunately work has killed that.

Coming back to the lens issue, probably not helpful but I use an 18-200 that covers all aspects you will need for most bike photography, worth having a look at if budget allows or n+1 theory 🙂

Out of the choice you have, I’d probably go with the longer lens and focus on detail rather than panoramic.

Have a good day, not jealous….

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ive always found that watching with my eyes gives a 100% better view than looking through a camera lense.

I am sure there will be plenty of pics online after the event ?

Kit
    Free Member

I am sure there will be plenty of pics online after the event ?

Yeah, you wonder why photographers bother, really, what with everyone else taking their pictures for them…

nbt

I’d say 70-200

Jens in Gunnerside by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Team Sky by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

shit, I’ve just realised I can submit that last one to http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/

Three_Fish
    Free Member

24-70mm with a 2x teleconverter?

molgrips
    Free Member

What lens? Depends what kind of picture you want to take. Picture singular, since you’ll only get one chance to rattle off a few candidates!

jfletch
    Free Member

Some great advice from Inrng here:

No Photos Please

Personally I’d not bother but I’m more into cycling than photography so I’d want to watch the race. If I was their for photography rather than to enjoy the race I’d go long to get some detail or very wide to get a great landscape with the cyclists in it. 24-70 will just be a pointless middle ground* which will get a generic “mass of cyclists” photo which isn’t worth missing the race for.

*Assuming that you aren’t using a full frame camera, when 24 would be nice and wide!

rOcKeTdOg

Shouldn’t you be using an iPad to take a selfie over your shoulder as the peleton pedals by?

smg13
    Free Member

650b

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What Lens for Tour of Britain’ is closed to new replies.