Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • what lawnmower??????????
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Our flymo has died a smokey death and was too small for our garden.

I’m looking for the moon on a stick, petrol, big blade, not too fussed about self propelled (but all the big ones are), no roller, collector box, a quality brand engine and on a budget of $£$.££

Any ideas?

wwaswas

on a budget of $£$.££

well for that sort of money I’d recommend !”%^^&&*

z1ppy

Honda I believe is the answer.
    Brother was speaking to a pro gardener the other day, and he said (£1600) mowers don’t last them more than 2 season, not due to the engine but the bodies falling apart… interesting I thought

Stoner
    Free Member

what is the budget really?

Id always recommend a Honda engine.
    What size lawn? What kind of blade dia do you think youd need? 18″? 21″?

bazzer
    Free Member

Hayter Harrier

Had ours years will cut your grass even if its a jungle 🙂

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Pulls up chair…..was about to start the same thread……

jam-bo

I’ve got a £100 champion. just had to replace the coil (£20) after 5 years and still going strong, now starts first time every time again.

qwerty
    Free Member

I guess we’re looking at £300+/- for brand new of £200 second hand if it bags us a better engine etc.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

One that doesn’t harm ze insects.

LenBuch
    Free Member

Flymo Petrol Power Air Cushion Mower – Honda 160 cc Engine – got one recently – fantastic – easyest thing ever!

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve got a £100 champion. just had to replace the coil (£20) after 5 years and still going strong, now starts first time every time again.

I’m not sure that’s much of a recommendation

jam-bo

why not? cuts the grass just as well and has cost a fraction of a honda/briggs etc.

withersea
    Free Member

Bought an electric battery bosch a couple of years ago and it’s been fab. came with two batteries and will do a solid hour of mowing, no cables, no problems starting, no servicing, blade very sharp. not great for really big gardens, but minimal hassle and batteries charge really quick as they are li-ion and don’t fade.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Briggs & Stratton Engine (spares plentiful if/when required), get something used off eBay?

My Champion (Briggs & Stratton 35 Classic) has been going for over 10 years, and apart from the yearly service (oil, plug clean/new plug. filter clean & oil, blade sharpen) has only ever needed a carb overhaul last month.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’ve got a Husqvarna self propelled 46″ (might be 43″) with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Seems to share some parts with Flymo and is the same colour but it’s 16 years old, has had two oil changes and still does a good job. Lawn is between quarter and third of an acre and steep in places.

Markie
    Free Member

Honda.

Use their little web thing to help decide which one.

http://www.honda.co.uk/garden/lawnmowers/

My FiL gave me his old one when he got a sweet new one (with roller). It’s done great by me for five years and served him well for however many before that.

Good kit.

sweepy
    Free Member

Well after a bit of faffing I bit the bullet and went a bit over budget on a honda today.
    And as luck would have it there is currently a £75 cash back offer which makes it a bit more comparable with similar mowers from other companies.

project
    Free Member

We have a gardner, who has a green one with big wheels each corner, and noisy it is.

But it cuts the grass.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Z1ppy

Your brothers mate needs to clean his mowers better

Its true the body rots – its caused by the cut grass clinging to the bottom esp when used in the wet . Youd be better spraying salt water at it they would last longer

Ours got scraped after each use and pressure washed the underside once a week

We had a massive kawasaki powered etasia and a slightly smaller honda mower both were there at least 5 years and bodys showinf no signs of dying , the hayter harrier we had for fancy lawns was a bucket of crap and for ever falling apart – roller height adjust mech despite being used the least. My first year there we had a honda that was going into its 6th year and had had its body welded up a few times.

Ive got a suzuki 120cc engined flymo thing and a bush cutter for my own grass – never struggles – just a bit heavy to throw about like i used to 🙁 ( we used to use it for cutting bankings on a rope before i inherited it )

pebble
    Free Member

As Sweepy says, the Honda IZY is your best option with good reviews on Which and the £75 cash back in the form of a cheque when you return the receipt of payment.

I can now cut my lawn for less then a full car tank of petrol the old lawn mower went through.

qwerty
    Free Member

I think the Honda is out of our price range.

Seem a Masport 300 AL which seems to tick some boxes http://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk/product.asp?id=4903 any opinions / reviews from the stw gardeners?

Marko

Masport looks OK. It has the aluminium deck, so no rusting issues. I have a Rover:

http://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/lawnmowers/rover-wheeled-lawn-mowers.htm

It works!

Hth
    Marko

z1ppy

TR, I was kinda suprised but that what he reported.. it’s a business so you’d imagine they would try to keep em maintained.

ourmaninthenorth

We inherited an old electric Flymo, which packed in. My inlaws then bought us a new mower (without my knowledge)….

…an electric roller Flymo with a PITA sodding cable.

(Dashed my dreams of a petrol mower, even if my lawn is only 100sqm. Boo.)

EDIT: Actually, it cuts just fine. The low quality of the grass is the problem….

pebble
    Free Member

Qwerty,

The Honda Izy (Model HRG415 PDE) was £315 – £75 cash back from Honda = £260 from Campbells of Malton (01653) 695129. Other Honda dealers should be able to match the price.

qwerty
    Free Member

Cheers pebble, we think our garden is around 0.25-0.33 of an acre, it won’t all be grass but were thinking of >18″ blade, that Honda is great but a 16″ blade and we are worried it’ll take too long.

qwerty
    Free Member

Just ordered one of these http://www.makitadirect.co.uk/acatalog/Makita-PLM4612-Petrol-Lawn-Mower.html?sa=X&ei=pOC9T-fyGYS-8gO5mqGRAQ&ved=0CHwQgwgwBA but the PLM4611 which is singlespeed as opposed to the 4612 which is 3 speed, ours came in at a lean £250 inc vat & delivery 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

The BAD news on our singlespeed Makita lawnmower order is that they have no stock…. the GOOD news is we’re getting an upgrade to the 3 speed model instead which will arrive tomorrow morning 🙂

thehustler
    Free Member

Got one of these second hand for £400 (yes i know a bit over buget but worth it) cut my mowing time from 3hr to 45 min, if your lawns big enough well worth it IMHO

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the lower end Hondas. It’s ace. Yet again, I left it completely untouched for ~6 months, and yet again it started with ONE pull of the starter cord. Marvellous.

qwerty
    Free Member

the hustler

Shirley that’s a cross between a mobility scooter and a sledge 😉

Milkie
    Free Member

No one has suggested one of these…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Ace! 😀

burton190
    Free Member

could have done with one of those

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

gumtree
    petrol, adjustable blade height, self propelled, plus second for spares – £50 collected

burton190
    Free Member

I saw one an ad for mowers in the paper last year checked the site again last month found this one, ‘BMC plus'petrol lawn mower

not bad

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘what lawnmower??????????’ is closed to new replies.