Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What (Large) Vehicle Next?
  • domderbyshire
    Free Member

I currently drive a seven seater MPV which has been great, but family, bikes and dog are becoming a stretch. I wanted to ask advice re. my next family vehicle. Ideally, I would want a few creature comforts such as aircon and cruise and seats that are not too utilitarian. I’m not a fan of things on the roof, so would want to get up to five bikes, four people and a dog inside. My first thoughts revolved around a minibus with unnecessary seats removed.

What so you think? What do you drive and what are the costs?

Many thanks for any input.

All the best,

Dom

jam-bo

6 seater T5. I’m so STW.

And an Audi for going to trail centres.

nosedive
    Free Member

5 bikes 4 people all inside is van country.

Ive got a vito. Love it. Though i would rather poke one of my own eyes out than drive it again in the snow.

If you do go for a van prepare to pay, or search hard for one that hasnt been wrecked as a commercial vehicle

northernmatt

Transit crew cab type thing. Like the ones that contractors use as a site office type thing, with a table in and that. There’s probably a blindingly obvious proper name for them.

allfankledup

Lwb t5 for the easiest option. We squeeze 5bikes and a giant schnauzer into a t5 Swb, have to take a wheel off the 29er to fit them in sometimesTypically put three of the bikes on a bike rack when we go away for the week

Day to day the Swb is brilliant – it’s only every now and again that the extra space would be useful – your choice to trade off

midlifecrashes

How about a trailer?

arachnidlover
    Free Member

Renault Traffic sport crew cab here. Can’t fault it. Comfortable, good mileage, loads of space in the back for bikes and gear. Insurance is pretty cheap too.

maccruiskeen

There’s probably a blindingly obvious proper name for them.

Welfare vans, they often have a cludgy in the back too. I don’t think they tick the ‘not too utilitarian’ box though.

The classic band van of 2/3 rows of seats and a decent size load space behind is known as a ‘splitter’ – they’ll usually be a bit more creature comforty but can be big, big money though.

timba
    Free Member

Check out the insurance costs and your driving licence before you commit to anything minibus-shaped

RustyNissanPrairie

Transit crew cab type thing. Like the ones that contractors use as a site office type thing, with a table in and that. There’s probably a blindingly obvious proper name for them.

Welfare/mess vans. I have one – ex Network Rail Transit LWB, 3 additional seats in the back (also available with 6 extra seats), microwave, hot water/brew dispenser, sink with hot&cold water, 240v power, Eberspacher heater, loads of storage space, loads of lighting, insulated, rear load area (no toilet!). Been all over Europe in it – great van. Far cheaper than a thrashed ‘normal’ van as only really suitable for DIY camper conversions rather than normal commercial use. Had mine 2 years, bought with 75k miles for £5k + vat.

Would highly recommend .

cakefacesmallblock

Personally I use a lwb T5, its converted as a camper, but can carry one bike inside and two on the back. although I can get 3 inside with wheels off two fir security if needs be.

That said, there’s enough on here about those and in many respects I think it’s a bit of a fan dancers handbag.

Plenty Kombi style vans , inc VW , out there.

Maybe give some thought as to space it will occupy in car parks etc. lwb t5 is as big as practical as far as everyday use goes I reckon.

br
    Free Member

My first thoughts revolved around a minibus with unnecessary seats removed.

AFAIK it’ll need re-plating/licencing – so better to look at a crew-cab type vehicle first

spooky_b329

If it wasn’t for the fact this had a tiptronic style auto box, I’d have already made the trip to view this! (Auto is not the best for heavy towing, hard on the robotised clutch)

Ultra rare factory fitted crew van with top spec pack.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iveco-Daily-S-Class-2-3TD-H-R-Semi-Window-Crew-Van-35S13SV-Agile-MWB-Top-Spec-/111643060509?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fe71e91d

A bit big compared to your average T5/Vivaro crew van though!

nedrapier

Welfare/mess vans. I have one – ex Network Rail Transit LWB, 3 additional seats in the back (also available with 6 extra seats), microwave, hot water/brew dispenser, sink with hot&cold water, 240v power, Eberspacher heater, loads of storage space, loads of lighting, insulated, rear load area (no toilet!). Been all over Europe in it – great van. Far cheaper than a thrashed ‘normal’ van as only really suitable for DIY camper conversions rather than normal commercial use. Had mine 2 years, bought with 75k miles for £5k + vat.

Would highly recommend .

My brother has one just like this. He spends a bit of time on windy airfields with little people on little motorbikes, so the creature comforts are just what he needed!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What (Large) Vehicle Next?’ is closed to new replies.