What laptop for general duties, big screen? My current 1 is dead…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What laptop for general duties, big screen? My current 1 is dead…
  • 5plusn8

My Toshiba Satellite C75 A keeps running the fan hard and lagging like hell no matter what I do. It is bloody frustrating, every 30 secs or so it hangs for 15-20 secs. I have hoovered the fan area and looked for a solution but its quite old anyway so thinking of a new one?
    I only do word, excel, powerpoint, some high res fotoshoopy stuff for fun, movies/downloaded box sets etc, iplayer, red bull tv, and have about 15 to 1e6 tabs open on chrome at anyone time…

mikewsmith

http://www.dell.com/au/p/inspiron-15-3567-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC
    Something from the inspiron range?
    Always been happy with mine
    Check the outlet too

5plusn8

I do have a bit of a hatred of dell…

mikewsmith

always been solid for me.

Premier Icon finishthat
    Subscriber

Did you actually open it and clean it out? If not doing that and fitting an ssd might save you a lot of money.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I had this with mine, the fan would run flat out and under heavy load the laptop would switch itself off. I took it to bits to clean the fan multiple times, made no difference. Then one time I took it apart I noticed a bit of fluff sticking out of the exhaust vent, picked at it with tweezers and out came a dust bunny the size of Belgium. I hadn’t seen it previously because it was out of sight inside the assembly.

cranberry

As above – take it apart if you can and clear out the fluff. Think that it you were going to spend cash on a new one- what do you have to lose ?

If you really need a new lappy, get with the Dell love and get an Inspiron 17″ if you aren’t carrying it around. Buy from the Dell Outlet for cheaper prices.

Trigger warning – bare, naked components in the buff:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX005U5PlZ0[/video]

5plusn8

I’m not home now, but you know I am going to bloody dismantle it when I get back. Cheers all. Further bulletins as events warrant.

andykirk

Oh good lord…. the answer is Apple. I currently have 86 tabs open plus iTunes and VLC and Excel and it runs like a dream. Does it even have a fan I have no idea. On the odd occasions it hangs when I have 100 plus tabs open for a week, when it restarts it automatically reloads all the tabs! Fantastic!

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Poe’s Law?

5plusn8

andykirk – Member
    Oh good lord…. the answer is Apple. I currently have 86 tabs open plus iTunes and VLC and Excel and it runs like a dream. Does it even have a fan I have no idea. On the odd occasions it hangs when I have 100 plus tabs open for a week, when it restarts it automatically reloads all the tabs! Fantastic!

That would be a great idea if it were an issue with windows, but its just a worn out computer, when it was working it worked fine. The software and hardware have handled my requirements admirably up to this point.

mikewsmith

yeah sounds like the 500 quid Dell that is still zipping along doing all that and more. Let us kinow when your doing something serious or challenging on it though.

5plusn8

UPDATE. Hold on to your hats folks this is exciting!!!

allthegear

Just “general duties” (basically, office apps and browsing) and a bit of Photoshop?

Seriously, an iPad Pro. Get a keyboard case and it can do everything you want, often in far better ways, but without a lot of the hassle of managing a laptop OS.

If I didn’t *need* to run virtual machines locally on my MacBook, I’d swap over in an instant.

Rachel

5plusn8

Thanks Rachel, but uggghhh…
    I hate the apple ecosystem. My wife has an ipad and I consistently want to snap the damn thing. Never in a million years.
    Anyway I have fixed the issue. It was Chrome browser. I started using Microsoft Edge and it doesn’t hang or overheat.

HP ENVY 17 .. works and runs like a dream windows10 …a good dream that is

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What laptop for general duties, big screen? My current 1 is dead…’ is closed to new replies.