Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What Lake District mountain to climb with a 4 year old?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Forecast looks good for this weekend, reckon I’ll pop over to the Lakes for the day with my lad. Thing is, which mountain should we climb?

He made it up Catbells no problem last september, got up Place Fell at Easter. I’m wondering if he’d find the climb up Grizedale Pike from Braithwaite too boring?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Scramble at the end might be a bit much (longer than any bits on Catbells but not hard)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fairfield from the Ullswater valley?

anjs
    Free Member

I always enjoy at trip up Lough Rigg

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve every confidence he can do it, if he wants to. My worry is keeping up the interest, so a good ridge walk and clearly visible “top” will help. Along with lots of chocolate based bribery…

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Grisedale is an excellent choice. There are some more interesting routes I take our kids on through the woods – if you sort of follow the route of the south loop using the fireroads, you’re on the right track. Their final scramble is also the exciting bit for them – I tend to sick to the right hand side with mine as it’s often the more sheltered option. We always shoot straight down the wall on the return journey – by far the quickest descent (although never, ever be tempted to ride it. It’s the dullest descent in the lakes).

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks Tiger. Spot on.

We always shoot straight down the wall on the return journey

I presume you mean straight down into the valley to the mines?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I presume you mean straight down into the valley to the mines?

Sorry ir_bandito – that was a bit vague ! There’s an un-named ‘ridge’ with an old wall running it’s length, right down to a gate in the tree line at Whinlatter. Pretty much follows the red line in this image:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/parkedtiger/7752984416/

boxelder

Causey Pike.
    Fleetwith Pike from Honister

jekkyl

Blencathra would be a great choice, up doddick or hallsfell, very dramtic after a couple of hundred feet, very steep so doesn’t take long to get to the top. Both on a ridge and halls fell ridge ends right at the summit but doddick fell is not so dangerous. If you come back down scales fell, you can take in the lovely scales tarn and the dangerous sharp edge towering above. Free parking at scales.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Apparently as a kid I climbed Ingleborough and some Marines were trudgeing up the other side, apparently they didn’t look too amused at my gloating and “na na na na naaa naa I’m the king of the castle” routine as they got to the top, guess they’d walked a bit further!

djglover
    Free Member

haystacks

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Old Man of Coniston? Have a nose about in the Copper Mines en route?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers all.
    Sticking to the northern fells as its easier to get to.

Plan is Blencathra. Up Mousethwaite Combe, follow the Glendaramakin underneath Sharp Edge, then up to the top round the back. Then down Scales Fell, possibly to the tarn, or back to Mousethwaite Combe.

Its a walk we’ve done a million times, so my 38-wk pregnant wife is comfortable with it (she doesn’t fancy Halls Fell).

Grisedale Pike route incl the wall is saved for next time Tiger!

And “King of the Castle” gets played on every large rock we see 🙂

tenfoot

+1 for Causey Pike.

It has a ridge walk and a bit of a scramble, plus fantastic views of Derwentwater and it’s not too long.

Maybe another time. Have fun on Blencathra.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Blencathra was ace!

DSC_0013 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Bit cold on the way up with the windchill (hence the coat and hood) but he made it all the way, and managed to run back down:

DSC_0044 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Is your son a giant?

That mountain in the first picture looks tiny.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What Lake District mountain to climb with a 4 year old?’ is closed to new replies.