Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • What knife?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

been looking for a small knife of some description. Swiss army knives were the done thing when I was much younger but not sure I need all the gubbins (although the Spartan is catching my eye).

Opinel look nice an relatively cheap but I’ve read mixed reviews.

What’s in your toolbox?

flip
    Free Member

Opinel cheap and cheerful 😉

Picking my nails with one now..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Swiss Rambler and Huntsman for me.

RealMan
    Free Member

No experience of them, but they look quite nice..

Home

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

CRKT Edgie if you’re not good at sharpening – nice and easy, sharpens itself, legal carry.

or British army penknife (with or without the rope splice) as long as you get proper UK made non-locking “oil the joints” one

You really son’t need anything fancier.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve got a little tiny Spyderco knife, nice bit of kit.

Drac

I’ve got about 3 Opinels I’ve had for must be at least 20 years for the eldest and they’ve been excellent.

Swiss Army style I have 2 Gerber suspensions which are also brilliant, one I use at work for various things that crop up needing a handy tool and it’s never failed me.

Stoner
    Free Member

opinel + 1

whittlin’ wi’ one now 😉

Ewan
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqghpm4gXf4[/video]

crankboy
    Free Member

Swis army the simple one two blades bottle opener can opener corkscrew and spike plus tooth pick and tweezers . Had one since I was 10th never needed anything else.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have a Opinel and yes they are good knifes and it is always in my pocket

We were at a market in Nontron in france and a guy on a cheese stall had a #13 inox knife ( with a 9″ blade) waving it around whilst talking silly size knife but the wife wants one now for her cheese board 🙄

If you want a knife of real beauty do a google search for Nontron knifes

sharki
    Free Member

opinel no 10 carbone here.
    nice simple knife.

I’ve also got kj erikson roe knife. lovely edged blade.

CountZero

http://www.mindyourfingers.co.uk/P4102.html

Spyderco Squeak slipit. Non-locking and under three inch blade, so UK legal. The knife is designed so that holding it has the effect of stopping the blade folding up on your fingers. Excellent knives, Spyderco, I’ve got quite a few of various designs, not all legal to carry in public, mind.

mu3266
    Free Member

Sorry to contradict you Zulu-Eleven but the issued clasp knife is a pile of warm and brown. It is a very cheap bit of kit and it shows.

To the OP, what is the intended use of the knife, just general duties or are you thinking more along the lines of making the late night news?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Don’t forget that opinel fall foul of the locking knives rule 🙁

also being high carbon steel, if you’re looking for one to keep in your bah, its not unusual to pull out of your bag and find it rusty…

saladdodger
    Free Member

Don’t forget that opinel fall foul of the locking knives rule

genuine question WHY ? What are the dumb arse rules nowadays I always have a 4″ opinel in my pocket so am I in the poo??

Agreed about the rust issue btw

Stoner
    Free Member

the rules require justification to carry. So if it’s a work knife, or you’re out back packing etc then Id say you wouldnt have a problem.

Popping into Cinderellas for a boogie with one on the other hand would be a problem.

The law simply changed the innocent until proven guilty bit around

Basil

heinne KnivesTake a google over to Hennie knife and tool website.
    Me a big fan of CRKT products. I have had the KISS pocket knife and now carry the PECK which is a gloriously useful and cheap pocket knife/money clip.
    The UK policy on pocket knivies is tied up with “purpose”.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

All knifes are illegal to carry without good cause apart from small folding ones for which there is no need to show good cause.

I have a 4″ opinal locking knife and a 3″ locking cavalier knife,

The opinal has a nice blade but the cavalier has a better locking mech and its better made

stratobiker
    Free Member

I have a Opinel and yes they are good knifes and it is always in my pocket

We were at a market in Nontron in france and a guy on a cheese stall had a #13 inox knife ( with a 9″ blade) waving it around whilst talking silly size knife but the wife wants one now for her cheese board

If you want a knife of real beauty do a google search for Nontron knifes

….Plus, the great thing with Opinels is that they hold an edge…Very Sharp….Nontron Knives, as salad says are superb.

Stoner
    Free Member

…Plus the great thing with Opinels is if they lose an edge, you can sharpen it on just about anything 😉

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Sorry to contradict you Zulu-Eleven but the issued clasp knife is a pile of warm and brown. It is a very cheap bit of kit and it shows.

I think there were a few different batches around – the older, better rogers made ones were made of very good steel, held an edge very well, and I’ve done everything you could possibly expect from a pocket knife with them. I think my issued one was dated ’68 till I lost it, and the sheffield made civvi one I got seems to be as good.

I think some of the other newer batches may have been a lot lower quality.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a 4″ opinal locking knife and a 3″ locking cavalier knife,

Violent fantasist.

🙂

Olly
    Free Member

i do like my CRKT M16 (clean edged tanto shape)
    but it is a vicious looking thing, so there would be no excuses officer.

I prefer leatherman type to Swiss army myself, the pliers are mighty useful. mine is a squirt.

small but horrifically sharp little blade

flat screw driver
    philips screwdriver
    mini flat screw driver
    wire cutters
    pliers
    file
    awl.

ive never understood the point of them, but since i got it, the awl is the most useful bit!
    turns out I often need a “sharp pointy”

I find if it is great for little fiddle jobs, and if it cant hack it, i go and find a tool box rather than over work it.

do quite fancy complimenting it with a monster one though, one that can hack 90% of jobs.

saladdodger
    Free Member

For knife fans the Nontron ( Dordogne, france) knife fair is well worth a visit in august

Pieface

Leatherman worn in leather belt patch never leaves me.

And never gets used!

Came over all Ray Mears

CountZero

For those who have issues with the carrying of any kind of knife, I sometimes carry one of these:

I think some might take a pretty dim view of it, and I’m very careful where I carry it, but for hacking back blackthorn, bramble and rose briars along country cycle paths, nothing else comes close. It will cut up to a half inch thick rose or bramble in one or two cuts, and even blackthorn up to fifteen/twenty mil with a bit of sawing. Better yet, it’s a special Japanese steel that doesn’t rust, the knife’s designed for trawlermen to cut thick ropes at sea. Yummy.

Stoner
    Free Member

isnt that a blade lock on the back of the handle though CZ?

Alpha1653

I carry one of these and I’ve found that there’s not a lot it can’t handle. That said, it’s probably a bit of an overkill for what you’re after!

http://www.kukrimart.com/uploads/super-mini-6inch-khukuri-m.jpg

derekrides
    Free Member

Boat knife have one of these and a couple of other probably not entirely legal lock knives, but then for my other activities I tend to need them quite often and at work. Come to think of it about the only time you don’t need a knife is on a bike.

CountZero

Stoner, no, it’s a black painted titanium belt or pocket clip. The lock is the silver cut-out half-way along the spine. The absolute last thing you’d want is that blade closing up on your fingers. It is very sharp, and the serrated SpyderEdge
    just adds to its cutting power. Terrific knife, great for slicing through zip-ties, too.
    I have an almost identical one, but much smaller, that I carry on my keyring, called a Ladybug Hawksbill Salt. Very useful as well.

Come to think of it about the only time you don’t need a knife is on a bike.

That’s often when I need one, particularly the Tasman; I look after a section of Sustrans cycle route, and having it when I’m out for an evening ride is often when I find overgrowing thorny stuff that needs quickly hacking back.

Stoner
    Free Member

yep, that silver bit was what I meant.

Sorry, what I was getting at was youre reference to: ” issues with the carrying of any kind of knife”.

that one is still technically “illegal” as it has a locking mech.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Come to think of it about the only time you don’t need a knife is on a bike.

I disagree. I’ve used mine many, many times on rides.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Used a knife on rides? apart from preparing my picnic I never have nor can I think what you would use one for

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Medical. Mechanical. Clothing repairs. Beer opening. Removing thorns. Etc. Etc. Etc.

CountZero

Sorry, Stoner, my misunderstanding. You’re right, but the length of the blade is over the permitted length, too. I’m very circumspect in my carrying it, but it’s just too damn useful when I’m out and about.

Stoner
    Free Member

steady-on CFH. You’re disagreeing with Mr alwaysright 🙄

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve got an Opinel No.6 which I’ve had for about 16 years – not sure how old it is as it was ‘acquired’ from somewhere… but it’s still going strong. There’s just something nice about it’s simplicity and cheapness.
    I’ve bought a few knives from Heinnie as presents and their service is good, even if their website isn’t.
    Recently bought a Boker and a Gerber which are really nice quality and not silly-money.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh yes, silly me. What was I thinking?

freeagent
    Free Member

I have a Leatherman Micra on my car keys, probably use it almost everyday for one thing or another.
    I also have a slightly larger Leatherman multi-tool in my riding pack, the pliers are pretty handy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘What knife?’ is closed to new replies.