• This topic has 25 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What kind of wild animal is this?
  • JoeG
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that its not a baby robin… 😉

And what should I do with it? ❓

mikewsmith
    Free Member

which country are you in?

zokes
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EIyixC9NsLI[/video]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

was guessing that Zokes, though had a bit of a fat possum look

zokes
    Free Member

Oh, and assuming it is the UK, RSPCA / local animal rescue?

JoeG
    Free Member

which country are you in?

USA.

Edit – not a badger, or a mushroom!

batfink
    Free Member

that…… is a varmit

mikewsmith
    Free Member

possum type thing (or your equivalent)
    It will probably be very pissed off, if you have an old towel and big gloves you could try and get the tin off it’s head but that’s very much at your own risk.

Google wild animal rescue or similar to see if anyone is on duty, your local vets may be able to point you in the right direction.

JoeG
    Free Member

I found him after 9 PM, vets closed. 🙁

Edit – not a possum, doesn’t have rat like tail.

JoeG
    Free Member

Story – I got back from the park this evening a little after dusk. I went around the back of the house to the patio to let the cats in as they had been out for the evening. As I’m walking, I see some sort of shape moving past on the ground. The cats see it too, and they are real interested in whatever it is! It moves into the shrubs, and I shoo the cats inside. I go in the house, get a flashlight, turn on the floodlights, and go back out. Whoops, missed a cat! Which is sort of good because he’s pointing toward whatever it is. And he’s the big, slow orange cat that is easy to catch, not the little black one that you can’t find in the dark! So, grab big cat and put in the house. And investigate shat it is.

It’s way too slow to be a cat, and it’s not barking so not a dog. The animal is walking, not hopping like a rabbit. It’s not black and white and smelly, so not a skunk. It doesn’t have a rat like tail, so not an opossum. I get a garbage can that I use for leaves and sticks in the yard, and use a stick to get him into the can. After the obligatory photos, I put on leather work gloves and grab the can, hoping that it will pull off its head. The aminal comes up with the can. Try a couple more times, same result.

Then I remember that my neighbor volunteers at an animal shelter and walks the dogs there. Go next door in the dark, ring the doorbell. Her shelter only deals with dogs and cats, she suggests calling a 24 hr vet in the area for ideas. I go back to the can, put the gloves back on, and give it another try. I pick him up by the can, and give it a pretty good shake down. SUCCESS!

A small groundhog. I roll the can on its side after more photos. He scampers off.

Soup can and glove for scale:

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Good work!

JoeG
    Free Member

I wuz gonna shoot him, but then the trash can would leak! :mrgreen:

spchantler
    Free Member

Soup can and glove for scalesale

its got critter germs on

boblo
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ve seen this before. Is it groundhog day?

DezB
    Free Member

You mean it didn’t really have a metal head? How jolly disappointing.

PiknMix
    Free Member

CountZero

CountZero

Silly jokes aside, that’s good work. Poor little fella would have starved to death orherwise. Hedgehogs suffer the same problem over here. 🙂

Northwind

Robogroundhog! Tremble at his paws.

munrobiker
    Free Member

This sounds awfully like a Winnie the Pooh story. It must be a heffalump.

beaker2135

Big karma JoeG
    just like yesterday, and the day before and the day….

brakes
    Free Member

you found self-canning meat, and you let it escape?
    you’ve missed out on a fortune there matey.

CountZero

you found self-canning meat, and you let it escape?
    you’ve missed out on a fortune there matey.

😆

JoeG
    Free Member

Canned groundhog meat…I’ll bet that it would be popular in West Virginia! 😀

He wouldn’t have starved, lack of water would have got him first. Its been real hot (90 F) here for the past week and will continue through the weekend at least.

sugdenr
    Free Member

rejoins his mates….

*Dude, where’s your can? The one you wears on yer head that scares away all dem cats?*
    “Man, I jus got mugged, strollin along mindin mah own business, stoopid cats couldnt touch me and then all sudden like this real big, real uuugly mother grabs mah can and shakes it right off me”
    *Goodam, dem hoomans is jus a mean teifing bunch of….*

JoeG
    Free Member

I’ll bet that the can was a dare. Another groundhog said “I’ll bet that you can’t lick the bottom of the inside of that can.” Then the others laughed like crazy when his head got stuck!

The odd thing is that it was an old rusty can. I would understand if it was a can with some food left in the bottom. But that wasn’t the case here.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What kind of wild animal is this?’ is closed to new replies.