Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • What is your post truth?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Since it’s been acknowledged as the word that defined 2016, what is your post truth?

Mine is believing that our cat, Mabel, sleeps on my eldest son’s bed every night because he makes her feel comfortable, secure and happy and she in turn, wants to look after him.

But in reality, it’s probably just because that’s the only bed in the house she doesn’t get shooed from!

neilthewheel

Chocolate makes you lose weight.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

1x drivetrains are better…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geetee1972
    Free Member

Chocolate makes you lose weight.

You mean it doesn’t 😯

1x drivetrains are better…

You mean they aren’t 😯

IHN

The best way to make important, difficult, complicated decisions is to ask the public what they think.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have never heard the expression ‘post truth’ before now. Which circles is this being used in regularly enough for it to define the year for all? Whoever it is, they are clearly ****.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have never heard the expression ‘post truth’ before now. Which circles is this being used in regularly enough for it to define the year for all? Whoever it is, they are clearly ****.

Hmmm, are you Donald Trump?

jruk
    Free Member

I’ve no idea what post truth means.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

Thomson Elite is better than a no-name cheapo??

IHN

Have you been in a cave?

Unless you’ve avoided any ‘proper’ news/comment all year, I don’t now how you could have missed it.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Not as trivial as the OP and others would prefer

[video]https://youtu.be/3xcW7Tg5E34[/video]

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve never heard it either, sounds like middle management bull**** talk to me!

Pyro

I still keep getting all of my landlord’s post. That’s the truth.

mikey3
    Free Member

Theres a parcel waiting at my local sorting office that I didn’t order,post untruth.

slowoldman

It’s Word of the Year and yes, you need to have been living in a cave not to have heard it this year, particularly with respect to Brexit.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve never heard it either, sounds like middle management bull**** talk to me!

The irony of this (and the other comments) kills me!

Hmmm, are you Donald Trump?

Or Russian?

BTW I hadn’t heard the word used much before the Trump election either.

It simply means believing in things because you feel it is so (emotive reasons, it fits your view of the world etc) even though the empirical evidence directly contradicts it.

It’s another way of calling someone stupid and irrational without actually saying that.

deadkenny
    Free Member

More of a social media hipster word. If I understand the word, it fits in with social media as it’s about emotional headlines rather than actual facts. Something that the political world has adopted also, and of course defines Brexit and Trump.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It simply means believing in things because you feel it is so (emotive reasons, it fits your view of the world etc) even though the empirical evidence directly contradicts it.

Aaah! I see…..in which case, I am a mountain biker.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The best way to make important, difficult, complicated decisions is to ask the public what they think.

Made me smile Si!

binners

This….

paulosoxo
    Free Member

[quoteWhat is your post truth?[/quote]

That a 31.6mm seat-post WILL fit

ads678

No the ‘post truth’ thing seems to have passed me by as well, and I listen to 5Live a lot!
    Although I do tend to shut off when the political stuff starts these days. It’s too depressing to try and get my head round politics nowadays.

chakaping
    Free Member

More of a social media hipster word. If I understand the word, it fits in with social media as it’s about emotional headlines rather than actual facts. Something that the political world has adopted also.

I think you might have misunderstood it a bit.

My understanding is that, in politics, it refers to the way candidates (and Brexiteers) reject the need to substantiate what they are saying and – in some cases – baldly lie to the public.

And, importantly, that their supporters don’t care when these lies are challenged by the media, even seeing it as a reinforcement of their validity.

I’d encourage anyone interested to give this a listen…
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04m7zrs

Though some will probably say it’s obviously just BBC pinko propaganda.

😉

kayak23

Never heard the word either.
    Do I win a prize?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Though some will probably say it’s obviously just BBC pinko propaganda.

Again the irony!

sadexpunk

me neither. Don’t even know why it’s a word, it doesn’t make sense. What’s a ‘post truth’ literally mean then, ‘after truth’ or something? Load of b*ll*cks and I’m pleased I haven’t heard of it. Until now 🙁

Drac

A what?

chakaping
    Free Member

Genuinely surprised so many people claim not to have heard of it.

Unless they’re not being entirely truthful.

*rubs chin*

DezB
    Free Member

Relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influencial in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion or personal belief.

Sounds to me like only poilitians can use such bollocks.

(and yes, first I’ve heard of it too)

Nico
    Free Member

Coldplay are great.

km79
    Free Member

Post Truth is the greatest thing to happen to politics for a generation.

nickc

Post Truth is the self-deception that politicians, commentators, pundits, media, and the various other denizens of the SW1 bubble are trying to convince themselves of to make sense about the fact that they’re only beginning to realise that their viewpoint, opinions and policies, announcements, strategies and so on, are completely and utterly ignored by nearly everyone in the world, and that the general public have their own values and priorities that do not match those of the people that purport to represent us.

For example: George Osborne (of all people) is currently writing a book with the barely believable title of “The Age of Unreason” this from a man who has throughout his political career lied almost continuously about everything, and used “project fear” twice with varying success…

mboy
    Free Member

More of a social media hipster word.

Whilst I’ll agree, it does sound a bit like that, it is an incredibly relevant word/phrase/conjugation right now.

What’s a ‘post truth’ literally mean then, ‘after truth’ or something?

Yes… Pretty much!

Its literal translation would be that you have been presented with the truth, facts that prove what you believe to be wrong, yet you still believe it anyway.

Famous 2016 examples include…

-Brexiteers promising to give £350m a week to the NHS.
    -Donald Trump saying he was going to build a wall on the Mexican Border and get the Mexicans to pay for it.

To name just two…

mefty
    Free Member

Post Truth is the self-deception that politicians, commentators, pundits, media, and the various other denizens of the SW1 bubble are trying to convince themselves of to make sense about the fact that they’re only beginning to realise that their viewpoint, opinions and policies, announcements, strategies and so on, are completely and utterly ignored by nearly everyone in the world, and that the general public have their own values and priorities that do not match those of the people that purport to represent us.

This is a fine definition.

geetee1972
    Free Member

-Donald Trump saying he was going to build a wall on the Mexican Border and get the Mexicans to pay for it[s] being fit to hold public office (of any kind let alone high public office

FIFY

mboy
    Free Member

I was attempting to stay relatively apolitical geetee1972… But seeing as you insist! 😉

funkmasterp

me neither. Don’t even know why it’s a word, it doesn’t make sense. What’s a ‘post truth’ literally mean then, ‘after truth’ or something? Load of b*ll*cks and I’m pleased I haven’t heard of it. Until now

You can add me to that list. What a daft word. After truth, shouldn’t that be enlightenment or something? Really think the film idiocracy is actually a documentary sent back through time to mess with us.

nickc

Donald Trump saying he was going to build a wall on the Mexican Border and get the Mexicans to pay for it being fit to hold public office (of any kind let alone high public office

you need to be a citizen, have lived in the states for 14 years, be 35 or older, and not held the office twice.

so in fact he’s more than qualified. The post truth version of this, is that why was a man like the Trump voted into that position? one only needs to read any number of op-ed pieces to find out, but bear in mind that reading the opinions of people that often don’t understand that voters don’t care about their opinions…they have thusly come up with Post truth in order to slave their wounded pride.

ads678

So ‘post truth’ basically means Lying then? But as it’s used by politicians it’s not really lying as it wouldn’t be very nice to lie to gain votes….

Rorschach
    Free Member

No one cares if you mark it ‘fragile’.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘What is your post truth?’ is closed to new replies.