Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • What is your favourite bike of all time?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Would have to be a Klein Fervor for me with mission control stem/bat combo. Climbed like nothing else and handled like a dream, if not very forgiving.

My old Rockhopper Comp from about 1990 came a close second though.

P20

The bike that i’ll never sell, my P20.

Ritchey P20 by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

I also have a soft spot for Stumpjumper hardtails

takisawa2

This, in this guise.

IMAG0484 by pten2106, on Flickr

JRTG
    Free Member

My brown trek 69er once I’d ditched the mavericks and whacked on some niner carbons. Only just sold it but will always be special! Wish I had the space to keep everything.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

LH drive? Why?

Realman, its a Nicolai G-boxx, based (originally) on Rohloff hub.

Drive into the gear box on the conventioanl side, but the output is on the other side, so that’s where the chain is. The freeweel is in the gear-box so the rear wheel is fixed, so the chain is consantly whirring.

frame-mounted gears are the way forward…

acjim
    Free Member

one that sticks in the mind from back in the day and I’d still love to own is a fat chance yo eddy, ala:

(looks like the south downs to me?)

peachos
    Free Member

MarkyG82 – Member
    I test rode a norco six 1 a few years ago (maybe 5+). First time on a 4bar and lusted after one ever since. could be the setup was JUST how I like it. Nice and soft

brilliant bike. just replaced mine with a mega.

wanna buy a frame? cheap!! 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

P20 – How long have you had the P20? It’s a nice looking bike indeed.

yunki
    Free Member

summink quite similar to this..

P20

I’ve had it from new. 1999 i think. It doesn’t get as much use as it did, but its not a garage queen.

andrewh
    Free Member

Bought a 1999 Marin Attack Trail new.
    Original frame still going, now with Middleburns, XTR, 203mm Hope C2Pros,Hope hubs and X317CD rims.
    Got some totally useless RST HI5s on it at the moment so looks a bit like a 1998 B17. On the hunt for some Junior Ts.
    I’ve lots of fancy carbon fibre and titanium over the years but this is the one I’ll never sell.
    Looks a bit like

juiced
    Free Member
    bikeryder85
    Free Member

Simples, mine….always has been, always will be 🙂

jedi

the demo9

transporter13
    Free Member

For me it has to be my old ’98 kilauea with full 8spd xt groupset and tripple butted forks..scratch and sniff tyres. It was super fast (used to be able to get from the outskirts of catford to the walnuts leisure centre in orpington in 23 minutes…via bromley and petts wood)

It just felt right….if anyone has an original one in an 18″ then let me know 😉

kimbers

i always used to lust after a chuck frame
    now that i look at them in the cold light of 2011 they are freakin hideous

apparently the company shut down and later became romic

Still have a ’97 Lava Dome with skinny steel tubes and had an ’06 Spesh Enduro – Enduro was a bit of a chore uphill, but nothing could touch it (well none of my mates bikes) downhill.

Have an S-Works Enduro (’08) now and it’s a great allrounder, but not as good dh.

yunki
    Free Member

ah g’waan then..

Coyote
    Free Member

Kona Stinky closely followed by Coyote Dual and DMR Trailstar.

superfli
    Free Member

Always lusted after a Torker BMX as a kid

Maybe the GT LTS

or Pace RC200

juiced
    Free Member

like that torker, used to love hutch and kuhawa too 🙂

flow
    Free Member

Jason Mcroys Specialized Stumpjumper HT in Dirt, I drooled over that bike for years!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

superfli – thats an STS. Just before it broke probably.

yossarian
    Free Member

Best mtb I ever owned – 99 kona explosif

Never owned and most lusted after? Dekerf team ST

jameso

The original Santa Cruz Chameleon, around ’97.

I had a gloss black one, 17 1/2″ size, with orange Z1s, XTr v’s and cranks, a 1×9 set up with a 34 ring and chain device, D521s and Kujo DH tyres, Azonic bars and a 60mm cnc stem. The most all-round fun bike i ever had, mainly because it was XC one day and doubles + DH runs the next back then, the Chameleon was just so much fun and rode so well. Rode it till it cracked.

deviant
    Free Member

Kona Caldera….slack (for a hardtail) head angle of 68.5 degrees without going down the steel route and therefore avoiding the weight and rust issues….designed around a 100mm fork too, love it…i should just buy one really.

Anybody want a Trek 4500?

ken_shields
    Free Member

I so want one of these

Militant_biker

I liked these from when I started riding back in the day. Never ridden one so they might be total bobbins but I still would like one.

OCB
    Free Member

It’s telling just how many of this list are Kona’s. I guess, like me, lots of people had one as their first ‘proper’ MTB, but I’d also suggest it’s because they really were / are as good as everyone says …

Accordingly:

My ’92 Kona – last ridden, hmm, some 15 hours or so ago now.

angryratio
    Free Member

I own effectively the modern version of a mountain cycle San andreas, a bike i lusted after.

The bike i’d really love to own however is an early pace hardtail.
    Pretty things!

eyerideit
    Free Member

or

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Got to be the Santa cruz super 8 mk2. Loved mine and done some of the stupidest stuff ever on it.

Super monster t’s saved my life many times.

john-charles
    Free Member

[url=http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww273/ady-uk/Misc/boxer.jpg]this started everything[/url]

GlitterGary
    Free Member

That Diamondback is fantastic! 8)

ilovemygears
    Free Member

i loved this bike, but the head tube got a bit egg shaped,

ivantate
    Free Member

96 Zaskar LE in anodised blue.

With 2011 Orange 5 SE a close second.

Oooh, Proflex 853 used to do it too.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member
    tomaso
    Free Member

I fondly remember my Mountain Cycle San Andreas back in 94 which was so far ahead of anything else – disc brakes, straight pull spokes, full suspension, upside down forks, monocoque frame etc. But following on from the sentiment in last month’s ST feature Right here right now as much as I enjoyed it then my current bike is the best I’ve ever had in every way and I can’t see any reason why I would want to take a backwards step.

My favourite bike of all time is my current Specialized Pitch, now with Lyriks upfront for more bounce.

D0NK

John Charles +1 possibly but I think I’m going to have to go for the still running heckler, due to it’s lardy diet over the years it’s reserved for lakes rides nowadays but so so so so so good.

Other than that I always lusted after a GT RTS, then an LTS, erm and an old style heckler, and an… well whatever the MBUK team riders were riding at the time. Who says subliminal advertising doesn’t work 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Whos_Daddy – That GT does look rather nice. Old school chrome 8)

It’s the first time in ages I’ve ever liked the look of GT’s. The Korakoram is the only 29er that looks pleasing to the eye, in my humdrum opinion.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘What is your favourite bike of all time?’ is closed to new replies.