Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 178 total)
  • what is your fav JoBurt cartoon
  • Matt-P
    Free Member

Another vote for a book, I’d buy in a flash.

I’d forgotten how many great strips there were. One of my favourites was all the thoughts in Mint’s head when his girlfriend was feeling romantic and asked what he was thinking…

pegglet
    Free Member

seee .jo. we all still love you X

JoB
    Free Member

awww, shucks, thanks Pegglet, xxx 😉

once more, thanks everyone, it’s been quite revealing to me to see which strips are peoples favourites, and reassuring too as when i send the strips out i have no idea what may hit and what may miss, and also it’s frightening to see what long memories everyone has.

the book – MBUK weren’t interested in producing a book, they crunched numbers and decided that it wasn’t financially viable for them, which is fair enough.
    a very good friend stepped into the breach and said they’d be more than happy to self-publish and deal with the marketing and distribution for me so the book WILL go ahead, eventually.
    i can only work on the book when i have no other jobs or bike riding to do so it’s going to take some time. there will be an all-new multi-page story at the start (some pages of which i worked on today) while the rest of the book will be a collection of past Mint cartoons with commentary on some of the strips that mean something to me, and a whole host of extra stuff.

we don’t want to rush out a piece of tat, we want to make it a special thing, we want to make it glorious, we think his fans deserve it, we think Mint deserves it, but we don’t know when it will be out, but it will exist, someday.

CHB

Jo, thats excellent news!
    Hope when you do publish it you do an idiots guide to where all the lyrics come from for the cartoons.
    One of the things that often does baffle me with Mint Sauce is the random lyrics, I often spend ages trying to find the poetry, or relevance to the cartoon cell that the text is in, only to give up and assume its some random lyrics that you inserted for no other reason than you like the song.

A guide for us thickos would be nice!

one_bad_mofo

That’s it then, I’m off to dig all the loose change out from the back of the sofa so I can start saving to buy the Mint Sauce book.

NorthShaun
    Free Member

The Book!… Fantastic news!

Anyone attend the STW ‘event’ at Townley Hall? Spent hours in that room poring over all the original Mint strips, wondering if I could get back to the car with a couple under me jacket! 😀

noteeth
    Free Member

The Book of Mint? Is it a sequel to the Book of Job?

ourmaninthenorth

A book would be nice, but I can see why MBUK wouldn’t want to publish one. Shame, as it would be nice.

Something in the format that the Krazy & Ignatz compendiums are produced would be ace – thick softcover with ace smelling ink.

Hmm. Must compile a list of Krazy Kat books to buy….

flamejob
    Free Member

@JoB Please make the book ‘special’, or even do a production one and a special edition, maybe book bound by an artisan binder.

Judging by the average age (see this thread for proof) and passion of the STW massiv I’m sure there are a few of us who could splash some cash for a special version.

A bit like the Maclaren F1’s ‘Driving Ambition’ book, they did 3 versions.

andrew
    Free Member

Good news about the book!

The one that BigYin mentioned (‘Learning to Ride’) tugs at my heart strings every time I see it. Also any which feature standing stones, stone circles, tumuli and walking hills (So ‘The Mendip Brothers’ is well loved) 🙂

jimmy

Heh, does anyone have a small cartoon of two pairs of forks, one rigid the other some early pace RC35-a-likes. Underneath it says;

Pace – Guess what?
    Rigid – What?
    Pace – I’ll tell you next week.
    Rigid *groan*

The title was of course “Suspension forks”. I had it pinned to my desk for years then moved office and misplaced it :(.

JoB – can that be in the book? Pleeeeeeeeeease? Can we pre-order?

miketually
    Free Member

Can we pre-order?

I’d be happy to pre-order and/or pre-pay if it helps get the book in motion. (Though I’m still waiting for my 700see from Matt Chester, so I might be a kiss of death.)

CountZero

Yayyyyyy, fantastic news on the book, I’d be more than happy to pay up front for it. I did that for Kris Delmhorst’s last album, and there’s someone you should check out, Jo, if you haven’t heard of her. She’s wonderful, and could easily supply a lyric line. The only one I’ve ever got was the one on the strip used for the poster, where Mint’s chasing the bearing out to the fridge in the desert. I was idly looking at the poster on my wall at work, listening to my iPod, which has 8000+ tracks, when the exact line from the Wailin’ Jennies played as I read the lyric line. How’s that for a spooky coinsidence!

JoB
    Free Member

Kris Delmhorst’s…… She’s wonderful, and could easily supply a lyric line.

she is, she has
    😉

that’s a Spooky Jennies there!

andrew
    Free Member

(Though I’m still waiting for my 700see from Matt Chester, so I might be a kiss of death.)

Blimey! Not just me then! I think in the end I decided that Matt Chester had picked me out at random to take a dislike to and not send me my mag/s.

miketually
    Free Member

Blimey! Not just me then! I think in the end I decided that Matt Chester had picked me out at random to take a dislike to and not send me my mag/s.

He mentioned on his blog changing the cover to have his new Canadian address, so I assume it’s still in the process of being done. I’ve written off the cash as a contribution for reading his blog over the years; if I get a zine I’ll count it as a bonus.

molgrips
    Free Member

Jo what the hell are you doing wasting time on STW? Get working on that book.

hicksville
    Free Member

Like most on here Mint is that track to my mountain bike world, great to hear about the book. Fave cartoon the one where mints lung jumps out whilst he is on a climb and has a cig, March 2003. That image has stayed with me on oh so many climbs. Second one, so reminds me of me

thanks
    Jo

soma_rich
    Free Member

Just found this:

ahhhh

DickBarton

Mint Sauce…all of it…

joolsburger
    Free Member

This one – Perfect

nonk
    Free Member

never seen that one somarich that is class.

jimmy

ah man, Mint Sauce is so nostalgic. Mr Burt really does such a good job of capturing the spirit of biking.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

sputnik – Member

Here is a link to most of the mint sauce cartoons, enjoy.

http://homepage.mac.com/pfellows1/thisiswhy/index.html

Phew, thanks, sputnik. All this got me quite misty-eyed and almost on the point of buying MDreckUK again just for Mint…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I swear to god, (and I thought this waaaaaay before STW existed) I seriously have never seen an artist who can draw an English Summer as well as JoB. For me, he just gets it absolutely spot on. I can almost smell the grass and hear the skylarks singing whan I look at a pic like that.

😀

Thanks Jo.

EDIT
    Just remembered this pic I took in 2008, self explanatory really…..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/2964403005_9d95ac8456_b.jpg

soma_rich
    Free Member

But he also get winter spot on too. The image Jo paints of the mud cold and grime is absolutly what its like.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

True enough Rich

But I like Summer.
    🙂

clubber
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member
    This one – Perfect

that's my mouse mat! 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

what is this, resurrect a rocketdog thread day or something?

retro83
    Free Member

Any news on the book Jo?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just a sticker for me. Came with MBUK way back when…..small, bright green letters;

This is why

MadPierre

No offence to Jo as he can certainly draw but Mint sauce just doesn't do it for me. I just skip staight past that page of MBUK.

MrsToast
    Free Member

^ That one is my favourite, actually makes me well up a little…

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'd forgotten that one, it is brilliant.

Is it possible to get posters of Mint artwork I'd love to get the downs picture on a wall at home somewhere.

meikle_partans
    Free Member

bloody hell. a cartoon just emotionalised me. id never seen that one before thanks toast.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Mint Sauce is something that always makes me smile. I still miss my mint sauce socks 🙁

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

meikle_partans – Member

bloody hell. a cartoon just emotionalised me. id never seen that one before thanks toast.

me too. A sudden rush of emotion as I thought about the early days of riding with my dad (not like that) back in the early 90s. Looking forward to the book Jo keep up the great work.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

I swear to god, (and I thought this waaaaaay before STW existed) I seriously have never seen an artist who can draw an English Summer as well as JoB. For me, he just gets it absolutely spot on. I can almost smell the grass and hear the skylarks singing whan I look at a pic like that.

But he also get winter spot on too. The image Jo paints of the mud cold and grime is absolutly what its like.

Couldn't agree more guys, there's something about the textures he uses – the skies, the grass and the mud – brilliant!

mafu26
    Free Member

Ahh so glad this thread has been revied otherwise I would never have seen it.

My fav is one the calender one's with the workshop scene. Loads going on. Love it. I've still got the sticker of mint riding into the sun on my bedroom door at my parents house.

Never seen the father/son one's. Think they're ace.

plant
    Free Member

Sod working!

This trip down memory lane is taking a wonderfully long while – need to MTFU before the others get back …… they just wouldn't understand.

sniff

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘what is your fav JoBurt cartoon’ is closed to new replies.