Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What is wrong with my car?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

It was fine yesterday and has always been fine, I have never had a problem with it in nearly 6 years.

I came to start it this morning and there was power but it didn’t even turn over, there was all sorts of whirring and clicking noises coming from the fuse box area. I got it jumped and it started straight away however when indicating the radio kept cutting out also the ABS and Parking brake lights kept coming on. The lights came on sometimes when braking too.

Could this just be the symptoms of a knackered battery or is it more?

trail_rat
    Free Member

sounds like the alternator or the battery.

certainly a shortage of electrickery

Get them both tested or youll replace the battery and kill it quick smart if the alternators dead.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. water ingress in some electronic part..?

jam-bo

dead battery.

robh

+1 dead battery, I had the same last bank holiday, new battery and all is good again.

hora
    Free Member

Battery – Source yourself and follow a google guide on how to disconnect and fit. I’ve done this a few times.

ThePinkster

Wot Trail rat said – get both the alternator & battery tested before replacing either – could prove expensive otherwise.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I am hoping its the battery there were similar symptoms on my Sister in Laws Clio and it turned out that was the battery.

I managed to get to work and have the RAC coming out, luckily We have our own car park so at least it isn’t somewhere I can get a ticket.

MrNutt
    Free Member

banana in the exhaust?

philconsequence
    Free Member

cat AIDS.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Battery related. May not need replacing though. I’d check the earth lead first. If it’s a bad connection or a bit loose all kinds of electrical weirdness ensues.

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t assume it’s a dodgy battery and go and buy a new one. First go to a proper independent battery speciaist and ask them to check the earthing, the alternator and the performance of the battery. They will also fit a new one for you if that’s what’s needed.

Delta Batteries are excellent if you’re neary Bury, Gtr Manchester.

johndoh
    Free Member

If battery needs replacing, do as Hora says and check how first – disconnecting some batteries can have untold knock-on effects such as radio locking up (needing code putting in), electric windows, central locking etc play up.

We had a right faff after a garage did just that – couldn’t open the doors with remote so used the key but that didn’t disable the immobiliser so we couldn’t get it to start. And only one electric window would operate.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

If it was fine yesterday and the symptoms are as you say, then a battery is the likely failure. As said about immobilisers etc. Some cars you need to disconnect before the immobiliser kicks in as it thinks someone is trying to steal it and sets the alarm off.

hora
    Free Member

I didn’t do any testing, the battery looked like the original (on a Merc- fithly old thing with the Merc logo on) so replaced. Bingo- 40quid later.

On a Pug 307 I borrowed a home charger from a fellow STWer as looking at the battery (aftermarket- in good condition) it just needed a charge/boost.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The RAC came out and diagnosed the battery, the alternator was charging it fine but the battery was only putting out 8v and 19a. RAC bloke wanted £90 for a new battery fitted but I just popped down to euro car parts and got one for £50. Just got to fit it so I can go home now.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Is it a French car? if it is, there is your answer. Set fire to it and claim the insurance money.

I_Ache
    Free Member

No mate its a Focus. Its nearly 6 years old and has done nearly 100000 miles, the RAC bloke was surprised it had lasted so long.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Actually My Wife has a Focus that she treats like a mobile coffee cup skip, has been painfully reliable, 113K on the clock so far, very little work done on it.

Ford seemed to lift thier game with the Focus.

hora
    Free Member

Interesting- I’m looking at a 07/57-age Focus petrol cars at the mo, always good to hear good news.

johndoh
    Free Member

Hora – you are always looking at cars. Do you have time to do anything else?

hora
    Free Member

Hora – you are always looking at cars. Do you have time to do anything else?

I can do about 4 things at anyone time. Seriously.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hora the focus is a brilliant car it has been plenty big enough for family holidays for the four of us even when we needed to take a buggy and a travel cot. I can get 3 bikes and 3 riders with a weekends worth of gear in it. Mine is the 1.6 TIvct with 115bhp which isnt loads but the car is still fast enough and returns around 35mpg and upto 48ish on a long motorway slog. It handles well and I havn’t really had any trouble with it other than this. I’m still on the original discs and only the second pads, the drums at the back are all original too.

If you get one make sure you get a space saver spare, a bloke at work has a full size spare and his boot is tiny (both 5dr hatchs) and with the full size you are still supposed to stay under 50mph while its on so no real benefit.

hora
    Free Member

I can’t believe how cheap the 07 petrols are getting now 😯

I bet a comparable Golf will be +1.5k ontop.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

The one to avoid is the 1.6 TDCI, endless problems with this engine. All the others, both petrol and diesel are fine.

hora
    Free Member

The one to avoid is the 1.6 TDCI, endless problems with this engine. All the others, bith petrol and diesel are fine.

I know. Pity its a good engine otherwise but I’m not one who likes spending time in garages destroying all those lovely diesel ££ savings..

I_Ache
    Free Member

Without making me cry how much are 07s going for now?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh and BTW it appears to be fixed.

😀

I can go downhilling tonight now

😀

takisawa2

Chap I work with has the old 1.8 diesel Focus. It’s almost caught up with my TDCi Mondeo at 170k. It just rattles on.
    If mine ever needs a big spend I’ll just get a petrol Mondeo or a Focus.

bearnecessities

The one to avoid is the 1.6 TDCI,

Is it? I ragged the life out of my ’59 up to about 50k (ecotech if that makes any difference) and never missed a beat, fantabedosie engine for that size car.

Until one day some scallies decided it, drove it for an hour and so set fire to it in Bramley.

I’m over it, really I am.

hora
    Free Member

I_ache I cant tell you

Bear the scallies sensed a sludging/turbo bill and decided to take it away.

midlifecrashes

Oh and BTW it appears to be fixed.

I can go downhilling tonight now

You didn’t need the engine running to go downhill, surely? 🙂

IGMC

oink1
    Free Member

All Ford TDCI’s were to be avoided when they were first introduced – we were replacing pumps, fuel rails and injectors faster than Delphi could produce them!

trail_rat
    Free Member

you are paranoid about EVERYTHING to do with cars. any issue ever detected on any car ever and its off your list eh ?

hora
    Free Member

I am the mythical Cassandra 8)

CountZero

I am the mythical Cassandra

ABBA wrote a song just for you! 😀

I_Ache
    Free Member

Turns out I couldn’t go for a ride because some knob ends tried to break into my shed. I have spent the evening taking my bikes round to my parents and in-laws. Now I have to seriously secure my shed and get my bikes insured properly.

Swine’s.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What is wrong with my car?’ is closed to new replies.