Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What is this thing on the wall in the pub?
  • wallop

Stopped for a pint and a bite in a lovely pub near Tebay (Ravenstonedale?) and saw this thing on the wall. What the chuff is it?

Que? by ~) Jen (~, on Flickr

Kevevs
    Free Member

Sawfish nose
    edit: apparently it’s not a nose it’s a “rostrum”. So we both learned something! 😀

wallop

Aaaaah. We thought something swordfishy but we wrongly assumed the pointy bits were teeth. They certainly looked like teeth anyhoo.

Thanks 8)

argoose
    Free Member

Fish swims through shoal of smaller fish, thrashes head wildly, turns round and mops up injured fish.

pingu66
    Free Member

The “teeth” are not reel teeth but called denticles, that looks like it was actually quite a big fish.

Ambrose

Did McMoonter evolve from this, billions of years ago during the late Woodaceous period? 😉

unovolo
    Free Member

Its a Giants Comb, sawfish are made up mythical beasts.

redthunder
    Free Member

Sawfish… it was on the telly with that mental bloke.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Actually, knowing that pub, it’s the ex. landlords prize wining giant Amazonian centipede that was sadly run over by a passing steam roller.

matt_outandabout

It is a great pub!

rossi46
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dMctCwhg0LQ[/video]

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Phew, when I read the thread title I thought you was going to show a pic of this

Because I wouldn’t be going out on any mtb night rides, road only me 😯 😀

wallop

It was a lovely pub!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

You made me miss…

Kevevs
    Free Member

I will not be threatened by a walking meat loaf!

29ers
    Free Member

wysiwyg
    You made me miss…

I’ve never missed that board before!!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The hound of the Baskervilles. Pecos Bill? Heathcliff?

Kevevs
    Free Member

only reason I know what that thing is is cos when I were an art student a mate bought some for his Vanitas paintings from a wierd local antique shop. also in these paintings was a very dead Tope (mini shark) from the fish counter in ASDA where his bro’ used to work and they had a special display at the time or something and wanted rid of the thing.. he put it in his Vanitas “death things” still life display and painted from it all summer. It started to stink. to the point where he had to get rid. I got called in like a Harvey Keitel Mr Wolf type “cleaner” to help “dissapear” the stinky rotting fishy tope mess. We hauled it out the studio, got a few yards out the studio, down the hill, and threw it in a hedge. It stank the narrow road up to his studio for months. And even now, when I cycle up that narrow little road, I’m sure there is a mini shark skeleton hidden in that hedge. God knows what future paleontologists will make of that one.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ahhh, The Black Swan?

Used to stay there a bit with work.

Great bar, great food, lovely rooms.

Say “hi ” to the lovely Laura for me.

wallop

Yes it was the Black Swan. Stopped in for a bite after we realised we couldn’t access Tebay services without a massive detour 🙁

properbikeco
    Free Member

And even now, when I cycle up that narrow little road, I’m sure there is a mini shark skeleton hidden in that hedge. God knows what future paleontologists will make of that one.

nothing, since sharks have a cartilage skeleton….

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What is this thing on the wall in the pub?’ is closed to new replies.