Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What is this?
  • ourkidsam
    Free Member

Google maps

Aliens, I reckon

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

heather seed collection possibly, it's an odd one to be sure.

doesn't look like the result of a burn but then looks like a fairly hefty area to strip for seed.

psychle
    Free Member

someone get on their bike and check it out please… be careful though, what if it is aliens? 😯

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

think that is county council land, i'll ask me dad, he'll no doubt know all about it as it's close to the NT Longshaw estate

Pook

it looks like a big monkey.

huw
    Free Member

It's moorland management. Bracken clearance most likely. To stop it encroaching onto the heather.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

not sure why you'd want to clear heather Huw, if that's inside the National Park then it's inside the SSSI moorland area where heather is being encouraged to spread.

Management for grouse would require the areas to be small as the birds will not venture too far from cover.

Jenga
    Free Member

It's heather clearance for managing the moorland. Possibly for grouse rearing, or possibly just to encourage new heather growth to replace straggly old growth. Helps to bind the soil together better. See it a lot on uplands.

huw
    Free Member

Oops, bracken clearance I meant to say. Edited post above now.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Well looking around that bit of moor they've been doing it for quite a while as there are various similar patches in various stages of regrowth.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

it looks like a big monkey.

wearing a hat

ourkidsam
    Free Member

why the (seemingly) random pattern then? Or were they trying to draw a big monkey? 😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

proper moorland management looks like this not the big uniform areas like that.

That said it could be bracken clearance as suggested. Large areas of cleared heather like that are unlikely to regenerate.

avdave2

It's a sign.

shepleg
    Free Member

dunno, but i've got my triangular tin foil hat on just in case, they're listening………….. 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What is this?’ is closed to new replies.