• This topic has 22 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by paton.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What is the ULTIMATE bathroom sealant?
  • phil5556

Need to reseal my shower as it’s gone mouldy. I did it with Dow Corning about 3 years ago.

What is the ultimate stuff to use to keep the mould away? It did well for a while but what seems to start it off is a few muddy/Sandy showers and then it never stops and just gets worse & worse.

Cheers

wobbliscott
    Free Member

None. They all go mouldy eventually. Best thing is to use mould killer spray and spray periodically and proactively, or if the mould grows then use bleach.

I’ve also used a squeegee to dry the walls of the shower which keeps the mould at bay but a bit of a PITA to do.

hooli

According to a mate who fits bathrooms for a living, Dow Corning. Still needs re-doing every so often.

One tip I have picked up is lots of soapy water and a fugi profiling tool to smooth it off gives a smoother surface, this means the water runs off so less mould growth. Also easier to clean so again less mould.

northernmatt

Dow 785. Or you could try CT1, it’s not silicone but their marketing waffle says it;s 100% mould resistant. It sticks like a bar steward, I’ve just used it to put some plastic ceiling cladding up.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Best thing is to use mould killer spray and spray periodically and proactively, or if the mould grows then use bleach.

Absolutely this.
    Every now and then give it a spray of this (inc the grout on the tiles) and everything stays nice. Make sure you’ve got ventilation though!

I do ours about every 3 weeks.

FuzzyWuzzy

Best thing is to use mould killer spray and spray periodically and proactively, or if the mould grows then use bleach

Isn’t mould spray basically just diluted bleach? Mine certainly smells like bleach :p

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve tried many sealants over the years and Dow Corning is by far the best. They do all get mould at some stage though, as has been said.

As for cleaning it, that HG mould spray is head and shoulders above anything else I’ve used. It’s bloody strong and I’m fairly sure it’s just diluted bleach, but it gets rid of all mould and stops it coming back for ages.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

It’s a piss easy job takes about 20 minutes, every three years??!!
    Washing up takes longer and we do it three times a day, well the wife does.

steveb

Dow corning is as good as it gets I reckon. Usually use 785N (from screwfix). The other tip is to use kitchen roll / toilet roll soaked in bleach or the HG mould spray, which will keep the bleach in contact with the silicone longer. Leave soaking for a few hours.

bruneep

Another dow corning sealant 785 user, also helps to squeegee and wipe down and dry shower/bath area bit of a pain at times but it certainly reduces the mould.

ceramicmatt

I had this problem and started using Unibond anti-mould silicone from screwfix. Seems to have worked well so far.

onehundredthidiot

Bleach on the sealant at start of bathroom clean wash off at end. Do it weekly. No mould.

z1ppy

Dow Corning, with HG mould spray for us, with no vent. Found if you have a Karcher VW window vac, it does the job of a squeegee but better.

dave28
    Free Member

micromax sealant from tops is very good , profile tool to spread , dont leave soap or shampoo sitting against it as it creates standing water,

bigfoot
    Free Member

its a long time since i’ve used any dow corning silicone but i never liked it, always to thin(may not have been the one mentioned above)

been using this for years now(i’m a tiler so use a lot of it)
    https://www.tilingsuppliesdirect.co.uk/product/tilemaster-silicone-3000?attribute_option=Pure+White+310ml&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1PSDBhDbARIsAPeTqreMghjJO0xrTS1VyrKypbcpf2E7yzic2JyW8V7LXKHhQpZCLaQjYE0aAj34EALw_wcB#.YH37bj_TUuU

meikle_partans
    Free Member

Could the person who days it’s piss easy and takes twenty minutes talk me through the process.

My memory of doing it is protracted negotiating for a significant time of non wet bathroom use, then ages of cutting and scraping the old stuff off…

…followed by a fairly simple application…

But then a good while of trying to stop people having showers and splashing water everywhere while it dries.

Am I doing it wrong?

onehundredthidiot

Tiler told me that once the old sealant is off it needs at least 24hrs to dry.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Buy some bleach, put in a spray bottle 50/50 with water and spray on.

Just do it once a week.

After time all sealant fades and decays so you will need to replace, but mold need never be present.

Earl
    Free Member

Black sealant. I’ve never noticed mine going moldy.

wooksterbo

Used Dow Corning myself, as have the 2 different bathroom fitters we used. Our main bathroom hasn’t needed a change of sealant for over 5 years now. En suite shower sealant had to be changed as a really thin layer was added that looked great, but didn’t stand the test of time. Keeping it dry is key after a bath or shower. Yes it will degrade but at least no mould build up. This is assuming no damp build up in bathroom or cold spots along with decent extraction (mine is always on).

phil5556

Cheers looks like Dow Corning is the way to go then. I need to take the whole screen apart as well as water has got between the glass and the chrome frame.

As for that mold spray, it seems to do the job but took the chrome off some of the frame.

paton
    Free Member

If you dont clean the shower after using it then it probably will go mouldy.

Mould defeating bathroom sealant – recommendations please

https://www.ct1.com/bt1-is-here/

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What is the ULTIMATE bathroom sealant?’ is closed to new replies.