• This topic has 206 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 7 posts - 201 through 207 (of 207 total)
  • What is the point of hybrids?
  • tjagain

Squirrelking. I think the disconnect is about where we are coming from. I am a dark green – to me the only answer is to use less energy and i can see holes in every attempt to reduce pollution without reducing energy.

twrch
    Free Member

You are aware of what offsetting is no?

I sure am. It’s why we ship virgin timber from the US and burn it at Drax, because it’s “Carbon-neutral” and therefore “sustainable”.

twrch
    Free Member

Yeah those don’t seem to matter where the batteries come from.

If you insist on having motorized transport, ebikes are about the most power effecient ones out there. Obviously you should just pedal harder, but there we go.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

Not good for the environment though compared to a normal bike, where does the charge come from? I

And so on….

twrch
    Free Member

Not good for the environment though compared to a normal bike

Very true, which is why I don’t have one. I’m just making the argument that an ebike is better for the environment than a hybrid car, if you used one as you main motorized transport.

I once idly thought about doing a DIY electric conversion on an old car. As I priced up the batteries, I mentally made the car lighter and smaller until I realized I could save a lot of weight by removing some of the wheels. It didn’t take much more to realize someone had already done this, in the form of an ebike. Then I remembered I hate ebikes and should pedal more.

molgrips
    Free Member

the plant to make them would have embedded energy

Not necessarily.

A lot of work is being done on this. Cellulose fermentation, algal oil and bacterial biproducts being a few. The scientists are of course aware that the processes cost energy – it’s usually mentioned in the articles – but in theory any process can generate enough spare energy to power itself. Often the energy comes from the sun, for example, or from bi-products from food production.

Drac

Very true, which is why I don’t have one.

I’m not being serious I’ve nothing against E Bikes it’s poor satire about those who make a reason for disliking hybrids and electric cars.

Viewing 7 posts - 201 through 207 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘What is the point of hybrids?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts