Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What is the most fuel efficient small car?
  • barn
    Free Member

Need the cheapest run about we can get.
    What small car has the best MPG?

Electric is not an option.
    Purchase cost must be under £2,500

Thoughts?

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Waderider
    Free Member

Don’t assume diesel is the way forward. That’s my thought.

barn
    Free Member

I love this place!

parkesie
    Free Member

A citroen c1 or pug toyota equivilent would be on my shopping list.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Toyota IQ?

Speeder

derek_starship – Member
    Toyota IQ?

No chance at £2500 just looked on Autotrader and they seem to start at £4.5k

I’d say Aygo/C1 if you can find one that cheap though with that budget you’re going to find anything with modern engine tech.

Just did a PH classifieds search and it’s returned just 3 cars under that price that will do 50mpg+ and are younger than 2008 available.

If this works, here’s the link.

Pistonheads classifieds Search

Hope that helps

footflaps

Aston Martin Cygnet?

br
    Free Member

If you only have £2.5k and need it as cheap as possible to run I’d focus less on mpg and more on reliability and/or never-go-wrong.

So an older Honda maybe?

stumpy01

Mileage? Types of journies?

You could get something like this if a diesel would suit:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201401070860572/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/radius/1500/page/1/make/seat/model/ibiza/postcode/cb48an/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/keywords/tdi/fuel-type/diesel/price-to/2500?logcode=p

Mine is the more powerful 130bhp version and easily does 55mpg, nearer 60mpg if I drive it sensibly.
    Apparently the 100 version will do a few more mpg’s…..

crankrider
    Free Member

If you only have £2.5k and need it as cheap as possible to run I’d focus less on mpg and more on reliability and/or never-go-wrong.

Agree 100% – Saving £10 on fuel per week would be wiped out in an instant with a decent repair bill if you are not handy with a spanner.

All about balance at this price-point, get decent economy and go for an acceptable but fairly undesirable car so if insurance / image doesn’t matter keep away from super-mini sized cars that first time drivers buy.

Put it this way, dad spent £1000 on an old Nissan petrol 2 years ago, he is still driving it, total repair bills = £60 on exhaust, other than tyres and oil change that’s it…. it wont do 50mpg but will do late 30’s / 40s so good enough.

sbob
    Free Member

Question: cheapest car?
    Answer: MkII Nissan Micra.

barn
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    Useful.

takisawa2

I eeked decent mpg (50+) out of a 1.25 Fiesta Zetec many years ago. Given you can fix a Ford for little outlay, that would be my choice over some French/cheap Far Eastern that could cost a bomb to fix.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What is the most fuel efficient small car?’ is closed to new replies.