• This topic has 4,400 replies, 728 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by tthew.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,521 through 3,560 (of 4,401 total)
  • What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)
  • kayak23

That right hand, top corner of the bench is just a lovely thing 😍

Cheers. Somehow reminds me of a mole coming out of its hole 🤔

thenorthwind

It is indeed lovely, but it’s also making my brain hurt trying to work out how you’ve done it, which bit is which. The laminations just make no sense to me 🤯

Edit: is the corner an entirely separate piece at 45°?

kayak23

Basically I cut a strip of ply, rotated it 90 degrees and stuck it to the edge of the face-grain panel.

I then just cut a 45 on each bit and made a mitre joint, so 45 degrees through the stuck on bit.

thenorthwind

Pictures make my brain hurt less, thanks!
    You do like to make work for yourself! Works though, looks great.

kayak23

I’m just a mere amateur toe-dipper in using ply edges.
    Look for a dude called Almfab on YouTube.

I particularly like his stool.

I reckon he’s got too much time on his hands 😂

thenorthwind

It’s very nice, but the time that must have taken 😮

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I suspect I am going to be playing with ply edge patterns a lot now I have a band saw so will be looking for ideas to steal…

Meanwhile, look at my big pink Clock

Okay, I only deconstructed, painted the face and hands and then reconstructed but we can pretend to be skilled.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

And another where my clocks gone green

dmorts

@kayak23 that unit is lovely. I saw it on Facebook too. What is the lefthand cupboards for, with the holes in the shelves?

kayak23

@kayak23 that unit is lovely. I saw it on Facebook too. What is the lefthand cupboards for, with the holes in the shelves?

Cheers 👍
    It’s basically for boots and stuff or whatever. Circles in the shelves for grip 😉

kayak23

Toy box
    Hand-carved lettering*

*I handed it to a person with a cnc machine.

Murray

Very nice, as usual. When you said “Hand-carved lettering*” I thought you’d used one of those hand held CNC routers.

dyna-ti

@Kayak

Excellent as usual.

Grain orientation on pegged joints.- Hard to tell, but it looks to be in parallel to the grain of the top joints.

If the grain is aligned to the timber its pegging, any swelling can cause the sections to split. So you always make sure its turned at right angles to the direction of grain on the main sections(rails).

Have you an oscillating drum sander ?

kayak23

Have you an oscillating drum sander ?

No, it’s just the way I walk.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Welded up a light bracket for the bucket bike. Gutted with how much cash in hand powdercoat has gone up by, rattle can next time.

jam-bo

Given I can’t seem to post a new thread.

Started looking at an under stairs wardrobe that I started some time back again today. Carcass is built and installed in 18mm birch ply.

I knew wood prices were higher but holy shit. I reckon at least 100% more for custom cut panels than I paid back in may.
    is it worth holding off for a bit or are these prices the new normal?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

New normal.

You might find a 25% drop after some time, but my guess is recent losses will be recouped by keeping a big chunk of the price hike in place, even after any supply chain issues have been dealt with.

We did a new timber shed in the second half of 2020, near 3K of materials all told, talk about timing.

scud
    Free Member

scud
    Free Member

Hopefully get these images to work..

Not quite up to many standards, as held together with screws, no fancy joints, but happy with first attempt at anything this big. My wife wanted some desks for us to work from home, so designed them so that it is basically a series of boxes designed around the Ikea Kallax box dimensions, that way i knew i could sneek in a few hundred records in the bottom, and the upper boxes would fit the kallax accessories, so she could have draws/ boxes etc from the range for storage easily, then fitted some LED strip lights in for a bit of extra lighting.

Next project will be similar to hold 400 more records and Technics and mixer on top on other side of room.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Tidy job, kudus

tthew

Maybe it’s just the photographs, but the highest box looks like it’ll accommodate 1 1/4 Kallax accessories if the ones lower down fit one. 😁

kayak23

Nice @scud. Looks mint 👌

squirrelking
    Free Member

@scud that looks like what I think I wanted rather than the car crash I ended up with.

kiwijohn

I made a box
    w
    Recycled some French oak staves we use in tank wine, they’re exactly the right width. Beautiful timber to work with, but a little too warped to try any fancy joinery with.

kiwijohn

And if you like woodwork videos, check out Pedulla Studio on YouTube.

Murray

Very nice kiwijohn, someone’s going to get a very nice Xmas present!

Sandwich

Contents don’t appear too shabby either. $90 retail, what’s that around £3.50? 😆

joshvegas
    Free Member

Kayak you and I have the same filing cabinet combo.

Also.. now I see the mole I can’t unsee it.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

You know that amazing feeling when things change from “Can I do this?” to “Look what I can do”?

Mine have now reached “What they hell do I do with it now?

I give you “Broken Boulder”

null

kayak23

That’s pretty cool WCA.
    Not sure what you can do with it either mind.
    Can it go in the garden?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I need to decide how to seal the paint first. I was planning on using spray varnish used for car wheels as it is fairly tough, clear, UV resistant and cheap but would love to hear from anyone with better ideas.

I will try and make a rotating display platform for it and stock it on the patio I think

FB-ATB

I will try and make a rotating display platform

With a speaker playing the Vision On gallery music

AlexSimon

Some amazing stuff in here as always – I missed loads – can’t seem to get this thread into my favourites 🙁 (it used to be there).
    Any tips?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Any tips? – Keep making and posting loads of stuff and it stays on the front page 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

On behalf of Cougar. He has made things better

Less Poorly Child

Hopefully someone can fix this to just show the photo

BigJohn

I made a guitar from scratch.

Apart from using a router and a template to get the basic shape it was mostly handtools. Spokeshave, files and sandpaper.

It started as a few pieces of wood, alder and maple.

And a bit of shaping:

And Finally:

kayak23

Wow, that’s amazing. Beautiful sculpting on the neck. 👌

pk13

Yep that neck is nice it’s the hardest bit to get right. I used to bandsaw blanks for a mate who would shape them for what seemed like forever.

Rich_s

Having bought a chunk of Mr Bezos’ latest mind control hardware, the Echo Show 15, I was buggered if I was going to fork out £29.99 for a stand for it, requiring the echo to be unscrewed to be able to turn it from landscape to portrait.

So, a chunk of wood later and tadaaaa. And yes it needs finishing etc etc.

View post on imgur.com

If anyone has bought one of these devices, I’ve used the wall mount stand it comes with to mount the echo – just screwed it to the wood. So no extra bits needed apart from the wood and two long screws to fix the 3 pieces together.

kayak23

Made a framed, ledged and braced door in Oak.
    Shortly after the 1st photo was taken my prop failed and the door fell over 😂

Viewing 40 posts - 3,521 through 3,560 (of 4,401 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.