Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 4,408 total)
  • What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)
  • alpin
    Free Member

Studio for a large tool manufacturer in Lichtenstein…

16mm MDF, attacked by our incredible theatre backdrop painter man to look like concrete plus the boxes (topped with plexiglass which is inpenetrable to covid).

It looks exactly like the rendering… 😁

scc999

@Kayak23 – can I ask what finish you use on the birch ply?

Once I can get hold of some I’ll be attempting to make a window seat / indoor log store and was thinking of using Osmo oil (as it has been mentioned in this and other threads) as it’s supposed to be pretty hardwearing.

Some amazing skills on display again in here. Makes my efforts look rubbish!!

Si

kayak23

Kayak23 – can I ask what finish you use on the birch ply?

It’s just Danish oil actually. They’ll not have any heavy traffic as such.

The only issue with oils on Birch ply is that they will tend to darken and yellow them a little. They still look lovely though, but if you’re looking for that pale appearance you get with the fresh ply, then water-based varnish works very well.

Sanded between coats you get a lovely glassy finish, matt or satin.

This was a cost thing for me here. To varnish all 952 million boxes would have made it too labour intensive so Danish oil is great in that respect.

I love Danish oil and Osmo. Use it on most things if I can, but birch plywood is one thing that I think can look better kept pale. 👍

scc999

Thanks for the explanation – much appreciated.
    Might try varnish on some test pieces. I’ve never got really good results with a brush, hopefully practicing and some you-tube research will help me improve!

Cheers,

Si

kayak23

Water-based varnish and use a small foam roller. Rub back betwixt coats to about 240g and you get a real nice finish.
    Otherwise, I’m sure the Osmo will look mint.

scc999

Thanks again, I’ll give that a go on a beer caddy I’ve made from some scrap ply I had knocking about and see what it ends up like!

Great to get encouraging advice from someone who knows exactly what they are talking about. 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

I love Danish oil and Osmo. Use it on most things if I can, but birch plywood is one thing that I think can look better kept pale. 👍

Have you tried the osmo oil to avoid wetlook? I think it has a slight white tint to it or something?

kayak23

Great to get encouraging advice from someone who knows exactly what they are talking about.

I would never claim that. I just make it up like everyone else! 🤣

squirrelking
    Free Member

Studio for a large tool manufacturer in Lichtenstein…

I’m just trying to imagine how that’s going to look with a bunch of industrial tools sitting about. Still, good work there!

Mikkel
    Free Member

I made a bow, a rather long one.
    Warbow

HarryTuttle

Nice longbow, tiller looks pretty good.

Longbows are something I make so I’m curious, can you share the stats? Length, poundage type of wood etc?

I really should get around to posting some more of mine on this thread.

Mikkel
    Free Member

It’s purpleheart core with bamboo back and belly.
    79″ long
    85,5lb@30″
    I got 160 yards out of it with a 700 grain arrow with 5″ fletchings in stupid strong crosswind and I was not at full draw, so looking forward to a calm day after lockdown to try again.

I did get some help making it by Lee Ankers.

AlexSimon

@joshvegas

Have you tried the osmo oil to avoid wetlook? I think it has a slight white tint to it or something?

I have. First time I used it was to compensate for the water-resistant Osmo product in the bathroom which darkened it and it worked well. Then I’ve used it in my van and also my son’s bedroom (one coat Raw and one coat normal). It definitely has a slightly artificial look to it from a distance (more like a kind of office furniture look), but over time it looks pretty good.
    I’m still to find a finish I really love on birch, but that’s as close as I’ve got. A lot of the time, I still leave it unfinished.

mc
    Free Member

Hoe head

A few of these, ready for handles to be fitted.

scc999

Finally finished the side table I started AGES ago – not that it was loads of work, I just didn’t work on if very frequently.
    Top is a bit of repurposed Ikea table that I sanded back to wood (as it was a sort of orange colour!) with a couple of coats of Osmo oil.
    The rest is just planed softwood from B&Q that I’ve stained.
    It was something just fancied doing, mostly to see how I got on and I’m really pleased with how it’s turned out.

Let’s see if I can post images..

Table

Table 2

Edit – apparently not.

Maybe just the links…

https://ibb.co/8c9kD3h
    https://ibb.co/6JTbML4

tthew

I made some working links to pictures of tabkes. 😁

Nice work, I like ’em.

scc999

Thanks tthew! 🙂

Sandwich

Breakfast Muffins with raspberries and white chocolate. Looks like the baking powder is past its best.

Sandwich

Convalescence may not do much for Sandwich family waistlines. Today I have baked peanut and chocolate chip cookies.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

kayak23

That’s really cool Retrodirect. 👌
    I’ve wanted to build a dome for a long time.

FB-ATB

Death Star Mk3?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yeah come on Colin what is it?

cb200
    Free Member

A finger jointed table frame (CNC)

Glueing up the entire frame at once was a race against time, making sure all parts were clamped up tight before the glue went off. There was lots of frantic whacking with a big mallet, and then lots pressing into place with a tiny F clamp.

hopster
    Free Member

Nothing as complex as furniture, but upcycling stuff that generally goes to landfill. Here are a couple of bifold wallets made from some coffee packets kindly donated by a friend. Don’t drink posh coffee.

Daffy

This month I have been mostly building wheels:

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

that’s some serious wheel bling

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I actually made these a while back. But I’ve just been sent this setup picture and need to share. 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

joshvegas
    Free Member

Whats holding the bag square the collin are there horny bits inside?

Mikkel
    Free Member

My latest knife project
    2020-12-17_04-48-17

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Now there are two

kayak23

They look pretty mad WCA 👌

I’ve been hatching a plan/planning a hatch

So sad that Instagram links no longer show up on here, but hey….

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI52-ALDX0T/?igshid=ly9ziycsjw9y

Rik
    Free Member

Mikkel – nice hamon on that blade

Do you sell or take commissions?

Mikkel
    Free Member

I have sold some and done a few to order but mainly to friends and family as I am just an amateur knife maker.

RustyNissanPrairie

Some dog lead and coat hooks for myself, either going to powder coat them or some grey machine enamel I have at home.

0-F6-E6541-45-E0-4742-8103-645-FAB32-B065
    6-E6-ED93-F-2-EFD-4553-8853-4089-A9-E173-A1

kayak23

They’re lovely Rusty. Are they plasma cut or cnc cut or something?

kayak23
    joshvegas
    Free Member

What are those hinges called mr kayak

Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 4,408 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.