What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)
I made the cake underneath too from Delia’s Christmas cake recipe. Marzipan also home made from the Christmas book by the N*****h chairman (well I am from Suffolk). Icing next which has to be set by 13 July which is the date my daughter gets married.Posted 4 years agoCountZeroMember
Just catching up with this thread, as I had nothing but intent to show. 😳
I love ebygomm’s colour chart tablet cover, very nifty!
Anyway, I’ve had this rather nice little bushcraft forged knife blade for ages, along with a block of yew, intending to put the two together in someway, a knife-like object being the intention. After visiting a knife show last Sunday, I picked up a brass bolster, and a block of stabilised spalted Beech, and thought I really ought to do something with them. A couple of fine evenings sat out on the patio, with a No.4 Record vice, a mini Surform, some coarse files, sandpaper and a cork block, I finished up with this:
A sheath is not going to be made by me, I’m getting a handmade generic sheath that I can water-form to fit, from Lois Orford. I don’t have the leatherworking skills to make a sheath robust enough to take a razor-sharp blade.Posted 4 years ago
Rather pleased with the result, first time I’ve attempted something like this.CountZeroMember
Lol’s at Northwind!Posted 4 years ago
JJ, nice blade, that. I was exactly the same, I really wasn’t quite sure how to get started, having just the blade, a lump of yew, and a disk of white plastic/bone. It wasn’t until I got the bolster and paper spacer, along with the spalted beech, that I felt the impetus to get going with it.
It doesn’t help that I don’t really have a workshop space, so I epoxied the bolster, spacer and bone disk together, then drilled them through in the kitchen using a cheap suction vice, and filed the slot to fit the tang sitting watching the telly…
I marked out the wood block and drilled a slot to fit using a series of spiked wood drills in the kitchen, then because of the fine weather, I could sit outside on the patio with my No.4 Record vice, and a Surform, files and sandpaper, and finished it off after letting the epoxy set overnight. Took, in total, about four or five hours, at a rough guess.
I bought my bits from these people: http://www.english-handmade-knives.co.uk/
I’d certainly recommend you get a block of stabilised wood, it’s pressure impregnated with resin, so it’s a doddle to shape with a mini Surform, and some cheap files from Wilco’s, and then sand smooth. It’s not going to wear, and it’s pretty much waterproof as well.
It’s a shame to let a good blade like that languish, but it does take a catalyst to get started, and finally getting those bits together helped me.
This one, he ordered the bike from Evans and I did the Rohloff conversion – but it’d be £2585 if you got it all from me (or ordered a M1L-X and sent it for conversion).Posted 4 years ago
Yup, I have special jigs and formers to reset the rear triangle. The old way used to shorten it by about 5mm, so I had to make the chainstay bridge ding deeper.
But this was the first one I’ve made using a new former, and it produces a much smoother curve, and only seems to shorten the chainstay by 1mm at most – Marathon Plus tyres fitted without doing anything to the chainstay bridge.Posted 4 years ago
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.