• This topic has 4,407 replies, 728 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by kayak23.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,961 through 4,000 (of 4,408 total)
  • What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Can’t edit the last post to change the photo so here it is after painting it last night

dyna-ti

Sorry to be critical WCA 😆 but the grained wooden frame looks out of place.

Great picture otherwise.

Bruce

Don’t want to be picky but it slightly bothers me that the front corner of the Audi is a bit behind the frame.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Bruce
    The front corner of the car is out of place because I cocked up the proportions so it goes almost to the edge of the actual canvas. I started with a car which was a much more accurate shape and proportion but it looked wrong so I had to extend and enlarge the bonnet. I agree with your comment but it was a case of ‘saving’ a painting that wasn’t working. I think some clever framing might solve the problem though so – see below.

If you look at the windscreen and windows you get an idea of the original proportions and the front of the car ended about where the black line across the front of the car currently is. That positioned the car better on the canvas but somehow looked wrong, even though it more accurately reflected the 6 – 7 reference photos I used. I could only get it to balance properly by pulling the left (as you look at it) headlight towards the viewer and enlarging it. This meant the lines down the length of the car got a bit skewed and I was only just able to keep the whole cat front ont he canvas.

Dyna-ti
    I tried plain white and it looked worse. Please remember that I am making these frames in my garage with what I can get and am not a professional framer. My stock answer to buyers is “You are buying the art, the display frame is justy there to carry it”. This kind of excuses some of the weaknesses but I agree that there are probably better frames possible.

The trouble is that I sell paintings like this for between £150 – £250 so there is not enough margin to get a professional frame made when they cost upwards of £80.

EDIT
    I just spotted this picture mount and frame surround leaning against the wall in the corner of the office. It is not an actual frame, just a foam insert, but gives an impression of what it might look like with a narrow, perhaps metal, surround.

Bruce

That mount looks good and save the front of the car from being covered by the frame.

WillH

The foot pedal on our ancient pedal-bin finally have up the ghost. It’s died a couple of times before but I’ve always been able to revive it, Igor-style.

So I grabbed some offcuts of 25mm ply; some glueing and clamping, table-sawing, band-sawing, sanding and a quick coat of polyurethane later…

kayak23

@WillH 😊👌

WillH

I’m pretty confident it’s going to outlive the rest of the bin 😆

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’m pretty confident it’s going to outlive the rest of the bin 😆

Next step will be a replacement wooden lid + hinge. Eventually it will be your very own Trigger’s bin.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Finished teh hen house, neighbour decided to cut down the legs as the chucks going in it down’t like to climb, apparently. Who knew.

Tom, the neighbours handyman, making a few last minute adjustments

thestabiliser
    Free Member

PS recieved payment in booze form. Win!

redmex
    Free Member

View post on imgur.com

Birdbath feeding station for my wee pal the friendly Robin, sparrows,starlings,some tits then the aggressive magpies and finally two fat pigeons I need to make it harder for them
    The two blackbirds just eat the sultanas off the grass
    Must get the last brick in place this weekend

joshvegas
    Free Member

A couple of things:

a. it fits!
    b. it doesn’t leak and neither do the other 30 joints I made
    c. its a million times better in the basement than it was left by the cack handed moron who fitted the first iteration.

I’m basically a plumber now

WillH

@redmex Nice work. That bowl on top looks pretty substantial, did you make it?

@joshvegas
    also nice work…
    <div class=”tenor-gif-embed” data-postid=”14868437″ data-share-method=”host” data-aspect-ratio=”1.77778″ data-width=”100%”>Red Dwarf Cat GIFfrom Red Dwarf GIFs</div> <script type=”text/javascript” async src=”https://tenor.com/embed.js”></script&gt;

redmex
    Free Member

Thanks WillH the stone on top is a piece of whinstone washed up on the beach , smoothed off the top and cut a wee bath to fill up with rainwater, fairly impervious so at this time of year should keep filled

kayak23

Bookcase for books and that.

somafunk

That looks ace kayak, if I ever win the lottery and build a house you’ll get the keys in the post and free reign to fit it out to your imagination.

kayak23

It’s a date! 😂

spandex_bob

Kid-scale Landrover…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2o5scwL]Toylander – !st Drive_2[/url] by Rob Hopkins, on Flickr
    Built is maybe overstating it; we bought a (very) rotten toylander tub off eBay in late 2018, my dad bequeathed his mobility scooter, and made the rest from scratch. Chain-drive to rear axle, live axle at the front, paint is proper marine blue on the body. First outing was on Saturday, and it’s now awaiting a few improvements following some adventurous driving. But its ‘finished’ before the kids are too big for it!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2o5scyj]Toylander – 1st Drive[/url] by Rob Hopkins, on Flickr
    Even geared down its a little too fast for learner drivers, so the high-range switch is disabled for the time-being.

kayak23

The Landy is awesome! 😀👏

ricbikemag

This thread never fails to amaze…

colp

That Landy has made my day!

jp-t853

I would have loved that land Rover as a kid

tillydog
    Free Member

Kid-scale Landrover…

I did see the thread in the ‘other place’, but that’s fantastic!

hooli

That landy is bloody awesome.

dyna-ti

Thats excellent. A trailer in the same design would be a nice edition.

fasthaggis

That Landy is fab, excellent work there spandex_bob.
    I do fear though, that you may have set them up for a lifetime of disappointment,that may well be the most reliable one they will ever drive 😉🤣🤣🙃

Olly
    Free Member

Thats excellent. A trailer in the same design would be a nice edition.

My Kids pseudo cousins live on a small holding, andused to rag around on little pedal tractors.
    they could back a loaded trailer up perfectly by maybe 3 or 4. quite funny to watch.

They could also get the defender moving too, so they had to keep the battery disconnected. Less amusing.

thenorthwind

Agreed, amazing. What lucky kids. Can’t imagine how happy I’d have been having that as a kid.

Rich_s

That’s brilliant! May I be the first to suggest that the trailer would be useful as a wheelie bar. Surely there’s no need to change the gearing or power output.

joshvegas
    Free Member

the landrover is ace, i’d rather have that than the real deal, horrible things.

Kayak, whats the colour you used on the bookcase please?

kayak23

Kayak, whats the colour you used on the bookcase please?

Blue.
    Hope that helps*
    * 😉Sorry, I don’t know. It was painted by a person other than me.

walowiz

@spandex_bob that landy is awesome. Great job. what lucky kids.

DrP

After moving into my new place with my new OH, I proceeded to smash it to bits and opted to kill babies and robins at the same time (actually, it had an open fire in there, which is probably worse for all than the log burner I replaced it with…)

Aaaand…. ta da…

Had a great time up on the cherry picker this morning – once the flu liner was dropped down, I went straight UP and had great views over Hove..

DrP

redmex
    Free Member

What make and model of stove DrP?
    The carpet looks good just now but I’d maybe place a rug at the front of the hearth

DrP

What make and model of stove DrP?

I’s a Saltfire peanut 5

Though I made it taller, our opening width isn’t the widest, so this was recommended as it’s a narrower design.
    Looks lovely..
    Gonna have the first few gentle burns tonight!

DrP

AndrewL

Nice fireplace. I just did one too!

Updated the bedroom and put back in a cast iron insert into the blocked up fireplace. I did not do the plastering but we bodged everything else together.

before

during

after

Need to get some pictures up on the walls properly now.

DrP

nice… i guess that’s a casette style stove (i.e no air gap etc)?

DrP

AndrewL

Purely ornamental for the bedroom. Chimney has one of those sheep up it and is capped at the top.

I like the oak mantlepiece above yours.

We ripped out a load of horrible fitted furniture and spent ages making the poorly floor better before sanding.
    It had been butchered over the years with crowbars, circular saws and probably medieval seige weapons…..

The room is less dark than the badly taken photo makes it look, painted white picture rail and above.

stayhigh

Spanakopita me Kolokythi or spinach and feta pie with butternut squash if you prefer.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,961 through 4,000 (of 4,408 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.