• This topic has 34 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What is the going rate for horse stabling?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve been emptying thirty five years of accumulated junk from our stables.

When we bought the house they were let out but we’ve neither kept horses nor relet them.

We have space for perhaps seven horses and a tack room. We could also reclaim part of the Park to use as a paddock.

I’ve no idea what the rental of a stable would be. Any horsey types on here that could give me a clue?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

My other half pays around £25/week for stable rental. This is for DIY livery, so she has to do everything involved in looking after the horse herself. She pays for feed and bedding etc on top.

So just for a roof over the horses head, power, water and pasture she pays £25/week.

This is a commercial livery yard though with around 60 stables.The livery yard makes further money by offering extras like letting out and bringing in, mucking out etc etc.

Edited to add: You’d need about 2 acres of land per horse to allow rotation etc.

Stoner
    Free Member

S-in-L paid £50pw for stable and grazing rental, no livery.
    She now pays £60pw for stable, grazing, hay and 3 days livery which is a good deal.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    peterfile
    Free Member

Make it inhabitable by humans and let it out as a health retreat 🙂

Sorry, but I read the thread title as….

“What’s the going rate for horse stabbing?”

😯 😳

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Missus pays £10 a week. Its nowt spesh, but its weatherproof and safe. Its £25 during the summer. She Pays £36 a month for a big Haylage bail.

Not my cup of tea, but i’d be ddevestated if anything happened to her Horse. He’s ace.

brakes
    Free Member

me too! you’d have to be a bit unstable to stab a horse. I don’t think they’d grant you bale. you’d probably be put out to pasture.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Wrong thread brakes! See the Day Off Rant.

asherh
    Free Member

OH pays £20phpw for roof/water/power as cbmotorsport said. (In rural North Yorks)

Depends on the genre horses as to how much space they require I believe. I.e shetlands and kids ponies don’t need as much space to jog about in, nor do they need as much grass.

OH uses a forum called horse gossip, might be worth asking on there?

sharkbait
    Free Member

We have space for perhaps seven horses and a tack room. We could also reclaim part of the Park to use as a paddock.

You’d get a bit of money in BUT there’s always the possibility that little Trixy and her friends from school get dropped off at 8 on a Saturday/Sunday morning and don’t leave until 6 at night – do you really want that?

glupton1976
    Free Member

For some reason I keep reading the thread title as horse stabbing instead of stabling. Similar to the way I read shopfitting as shoplifting.

peterfile
    Free Member

For some reason I keep reading the thread title as horse stabbing instead of stabling. Similar to the way I read shopfitting as shoplifting.

What about shirtlifting?

Bunnyhop

Some of the expensive livery stables around Cheshire charge as much as £75 per week.

I think £20 – £30 would be about right.
    Way back many moons ago, I paid £5 per month to a corrupt* farmer to keep my large pony out at grass.
    * turned out it wasn’t his land.

Edit: Have you space for an outdoor menage? If so this will bring in a bit more money

franksinatra

You’d get a bit of money in BUT there’s always the possibility that little Trixy and her friends from school get dropped off at 8 on a Saturday/Sunday morning and don’t leave until 6 at night some fit ladies with firm thighs in jodhpurs want to roll around in the hay with you – do you really want that?

FIFY

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You’d get a bit of money in BUT there’s always the possibility that little Trixy and her friends from school get dropped off at 8 on a Saturday/Sunday morning and don’t leave until 6 at night – do you really want that?

This is largely why we never continued letting the stables.

Bunnyhop, there’s always room in my life for an outdoor menage* 🙂

* This may require further research.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You’d get a bit of money in BUT there’s always the possibility that little Trixy and her friends from school get dropped off at 8 on a Saturday/Sunday morning and don’t leave until 6 at night some fit ladies with firm thighs in jodhpurs want to roll around in the hay with you – do you really want that?
    FIFY

Dashes off to pen an ad for Horse and Hound.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Some of the expensive livery stables around Cheshire charge as much as £75 per week.

😯 ……. maybe I should rethink my objections and chuck out everybody’s ‘stuff’ that I seem to be looking after.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

franksinatra – Member

…..fit ladies with firm thighs in jodhpurs want to roll around in the hay with you – do you really want that?

FIFY

You’ve obviously never been to a livery yard!? 😀

More like middle aged, overweight, hairy faced ladies, miraculously squeezed into jodphurs, smoking roll ups, drinking tea and talking for England.

Bunnyhop

Seen far more men then ever before riding around locally. I’m sure they think they’re Clint Eastwood.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/video]

nbt

Menage = household (as in Menage a trois)
    Manege – yard for leading horses round

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?290894-Manege-not-menage

leffeboy

Thanks nbt. The outdoor menage was more than a little confusing

Unless jodhpurs were involved of course

Bunnyhop

nbt – gosh got it wrong all these years 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

cbmotorsport – you’ve met my sister in law then?

More like middle aged, overweight, hairy faced ladies, miraculously squeezed into jodphurs, smoking roll ups, drinking tea and talking for England.

Stoner
    Free Member

everyone gets the menage/manege thing wrong. Except my dad. Who trots it out whenever he can. He’s where I get my smartarsery from.

Bunnyhop

trots

you just had to get that in didn’t you, you’re not a dun as you look 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Mcmoont you will also need a barn to store hay and feed, an area for cars to be parked etc when the little darlings are looking after dobbin. Someone will always want to leave the box or trailer at yours as well.

brakes
    Free Member

I presumed you meant menage as in menagerie and having a little petting zoo out back with fancy chickens and pot-bellied pigs.

Bunnyhop

Since the age of 6 this horse mad girl always thought it was menage, well that’s what everyone else called it.

So I can see brakes that’s where the mistake has come from.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Menage = household (as in Menage a trois)
    Manege – yard for leading horses round

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?290894-Manege-not-menage

Thanks for the clarification, there’s no telling how much trouble I could have found myself in.

leffeboy

Mmmh, mcmoonter collecting vast quantities of wood and now horses. Suspect there may be a mahoosive BBQ in the near future. Hope we are all invited?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Another “horse stabbing” reader here.

Weiird!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Mmmh, mcmoonter collecting vast quantities of wood and now horses. Suspect there may be a mahoosive BBQ in the near future. Hope we are all invited?

My sister in law is no longer on the board of Tescos so my offer to host the AGM BBQ has been shelved.

itstig

As already said you will need several paddocks as horses will chew up the sward when it is wet (look at what they do to bridle ways!) You will end up picking up shit daily from the fields because of possible worm infections. Many horse owners have them as a trophy without really knowing what is involved. Buy a millstone to put round your neck it will be easier 😉

br
    Free Member

tbh A stable is no good without associated fields – so work on 1/2-1 acre per horse, more if it’s 5hit ground.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What is the going rate for horse stabling?’ is closed to new replies.