Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What is the bullet-proof wheel build?
  • mcinnes
    Free Member

Mashed up the Alex rims that came as standard issue on my Genesis Altitude 20 today. They are only 3 or 4 months old.

From their website:
    Hubs Shimano Deore Centre-lock Disc
    Rims Alex XR100D Disc 32h black

Photo here – http://twitpic.com/daagk
    Bent like a banana from a jump down 4 steps with a clunky landing. (It's the steps at the very end of this uninspiring but short video).

Given that I weigh 17 stone / 110 kg, and like to ride hard and do lots of jumpy stuff, I need advice on the ultimate wheel set up, as I'd rather pay more and get the right gear that'll last than go through this loop every 3 months.

Most of my riding is on technical singletrack or hills (rather than granite or real mountains) but as I say it's also interspersed with steps and anything I think I can get a lift off 🙂

The frame is a Genesis Altitude 20 19".

Please tell me what the killer set up should be for me?
    Make it solid like a rock 😈

ton

i have for sale the bombprof wheelset.
    suitable for the imense mass that is me 21stone….

xt hubs built with sapim strong spokes on sun doubletrack rims.

ton

front is 15mm bolt thru, but i will split..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pro2 hubs on mavic 721's would be good, or sun singletracks. Not the strongest but probably a good compromise between weight and strength, but erring on the side of strength.

Alot of downhill riders run them and I run them on my hardtail

devs
    Free Member

Mavic 823s on Pro2 is my bombproof set. I'm the same weight as you and have done 4ft to flat on them with no probs.

firestarter
    Free Member

pro two on xm321 are my big bang ones 🙂

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Hope pro2s with DT Swiss 5.1 rims, mine have taken some hammering and still run true.

jedi

sun double tracks on hadley with thick guage spokes

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Older Mavic D321s can be snapped up on Ebay quite often…

Tuff as ****!

I had some on Mavic D321s and they were suitably hammerproof

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

MTX rims. Super heavy duty.

GW
    Free Member

As jedi's recomendation – if weight is of no consequence, Doubletrack/Intense Mag rims (same rim)

823 on hope bulbs (if you can find em) a close second.

721s are my fav all round rim though, easily as strong dent wise and v.nearly latterally as 321s with an almost 200g weight loss making them fine even for XC use in my book.

james
    Free Member

Given that they came on the bike as new, its more than likley that the wheels were factory built which tend not to be as well tensioned as handbuilt wheels. Have you had them retensioned since new? If not, then you could expect them to become unevenly tensioned. Being in far from perfectly even tension would explain why its buckled somewhat?
    Gently stand on it to get it to run through the frame again and get it retensioned/retrued and see how it goes from there maybe?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I've got 729 rims and found them to be bomb proof (18 stone of hard (harttail) riding has proved it)

normal spokes (as used by Merlin cycles but can't remember the name) a 300 quid Chris King rear hub and a 20 quid superstar front hub.

ghetto tubeless 2.5 High rollers too with about 20psi in there.

Hairychested
    Free Member

d321 (old rims) with Hope's finest. Nowt more needed.

cabeaumont
    Free Member

Mavic 729 on Pro2. I've given mine a severe DH/freeride punishing at places including innerleithen and ft. william and they are still straight and true! Cannot reccomend them enough and, if you are anywhere near Glasgow the guy @ Wheelcraft I used to build my wheels did an amazing job – it's not only is it about geting the right rim/hub combo but more important is the quality of the build.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

These?

😯

Smee
    Free Member

Just get a set of Deemax and be done with it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

second what james said – build is arguably a lot more important than components.

A well built lightweight rim will take a lot more punishment than a poorly laced big tough rim. Find a wheel builder you trust and keep the wheels maintained (ie straight)O so that they always havew the best chance.

Learn to do it yourself to save a bit of cash – its really not that hard.

roger will sort you out http://www.wheelpro.co.uk

alexonabike

+1 for D321 or even D521 (rim brake version of 321 – may be cheaper).

Hubs? what ever you can get really.

enfht
    Free Member

I'm not familiar with your rims but HTF did you bend 'em so badly on those tiny steps !! 😆

Compared to how weak your current rims are, my mavic 719's can withstand a medium strength thermo nuclear strike 😉

woodey
    Free Member

If you're down here in Brighton I suggest getting Freedom bikes in Kemp town to build you up a set of Mavic 729s on hope pro2 hubs.

Stamner park is good, have you been to Friston forest yet?

yoohoo999
    Free Member

i've got some Syncros DPS32's on factory hubs that, although expensive, appear to be nukeproof! Not particularly heavy either.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

729s, Sapim Srong spokes on Hadley hubs on the big bike.

721s on Hope Pro 3 SPAM4 hubs on the everyday bike.

mcinnes
    Free Member

Once again in awe of the stw smarts. Thanks you bike gods.

@Woodey – once but ended up taking a wrong turn and finished early on the walkers path :(. Do you recommend it? The red trail or is there other stuff? Thanks for Freedom tip.

@enhft lol!!! That's what I thought 😀

rockitman

I'm 18st & recently split my Bontrager Rhythm's & snapped several spokes. Bought some second hand (a bit pricey new) DT2350's with matching hubs. Touch wood they've been great so far…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im 17St and currently have a Hope XC with EN521 on the rear. Seems pretty strong so far…

Andyhilton
    Free Member

pro2's on 719s or 819s

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Stans Flows on Goldtec All Mountain hubs,but as others have hinted get them built by somebody that knows what they're doing.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What is the bullet-proof wheel build?’ is closed to new replies.