Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What is the best Paint/Stain for Wooden Windows?
  • RustyMac

What is the best stuff to use on wooden windows that are looking quite weather beaten?

Bought my flat a little over a year ago and it was one of those jobs that has been put off and put off, now I need to get it sorted before the winter sets in. I have managed to arrange borrowing a mates long ladders in exchange for a few beers.

So I want something that is going to soak in to preserve the wood and also give a good finish, I am not too fussed if I have to buy two paints (undercoat and top coat) or even use a wood stain, I just want to know what is going to be best to help restore the windows and keep them good for a good few years to come.

The windows are currently painted in a dark oak (dark brown) colour and I am keen to keep them the same colour.

Any tips on prep or things to look out for when doing the job would be greatly appreciated too.

Cheers

Rusty

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Look at Sikkens stuff.

RustyMac

Never heard of them mastiles_fanylion, off to google i go

[edit]oooo they have a fancy web site [/edit]

john_drummer
    Free Member

it’s all in the preparation

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You probably won’t get it in your local DIY store but it will be available at a good independent retailer. We use the stain on our solid oak frames in our extention and it looks really good.

jonb
    Free Member

You should be able to get Sikkens from a dulux decorating centre.

RustyMac

From Sikkens site it loos like THIS stuff would be good for the top coat but i can’t figure out what will be best as the base coat?

Don’t have anything as fancy as oak frames, think they are pine but i need them to last as i can’t afford to replace them for a few years yet. £50 or £60 of paint would seem like a good investment.

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t ask on a cycle forum; go and get proper advice from a Dulux Decorator Centre. The staff there are always friendly, helpful, experienced and happy to advise. Seriously; they’re delightful people.

thepurist

But as you did ask on a bike forum, I’d agree with Sikkens as a good choice – look at Jotun if you want an option for something of similar quality, or Sadolin as perhaps a more readily available option if you CBA looking around.

RustyMac

globalti,

Don’t think there are many paint shops open at 9 – 10 at night, but I have found there is a Dulux Decorator Centre in Aberdeen so I am going to stop in on my way home tonight.

In the past I have asked some really random questions on here and got great replies, STW is always worth a question 😉

seanodav
    Free Member

your most important thing to know is what is already on really!
    Is it paint or is it stain? try sticking with the same for over the top or you may find paint doesnt adhere to well on the stain, vice versa.
    If it is paint dulux weathershield system is unbeatable (undercoat and gloss). If it is stain use sikkens or sadolin.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

your most important thing to know is what is already on really!
    Is it paint or is it stain? try sticking with the same for over the top or you may find paint doesnt adhere to well on the stain, vice versa.

Good advice – the OP doesn’t really seem to know much about such things (no offence meant) and it is important to do it properly.

RustyMac

No offence taken, didn’t realise sticking like for like was so important and i definately want to do it properly.

Is there any sure fire way to tell what is there? I have recently painted my shed with cuprinol wood stain, and after the third coat it looks like a dull gloss finnish. Is the dull bit the key to figuring out if it has been painted with wood stain or gloss previously?

seanodav
    Free Member

If you peel a little back can you see any undercoat, if it’s paint and brown it will be a grey u/c.
    Stain tends to be similar colour on the back.
    Chances are if its paint it will be really thick.

edit: cant really tell by the shine as gloss paint will dull to a satin finish over time

RustyMac

Ta muchly, will have a good look when i get home. I think from the little bit that flaked off the other day it was brown on both sides but will check before i buy anything.

Do you get thinner wood stains/pre wood stain stuff that soak in further? The one i linked to said it is medium build or am i over thinking this now?

seanodav
    Free Member

medium or high build is the coverage, if your windows are flaking that will be best as it will look more even across the bare bits.
    I find sadolin is really good for this.
    This is of course if its stain

Clobber
    Free Member

My experience with sadolin has not been good at all, the stuff seems to wear through in weeks, I’ve been advised to try sikkens next…

seanodav
    Free Member

My experience with sadolin has not been good at all, the stuff seems to wear through in weeks

surely this has got to be down to prep?

RustyMac

FIGHT 😉

My plan for preparing the windows was to use a wire brush to scrape off any loose paint/stain then go over the frame with some medium grade sand paper then use a damp cloth to remove any sanding dust and get stuck in with the painting 🙂 .

Does this seem fair or is there other things i need to concider?

seanodav
    Free Member

Wouldnt use wire brush, it will feather the grain on the wood making it hard work to get smooth.
    For best results strip the sills, if cba to do that use filling knife-scraper to remove loose then sand with course paper, dust off and stain.

Dulux weathershield stain is really good as well if thats easier to get

RustyMac

Strip the sills? I presume you mean using paint stripper on them?

How long does that take? Obviously painting it on will only take minutes but for it to do its thing and clean it off to paint over the top.

Knowing Aberdeen weather I could end up with only a short window (pardon the pun) of opportunity to get the job done.

seanodav
    Free Member

use a hot air gun, prob take no more than 10 mins per sill at guess.
    Keep heat away from glass using guns tools or the back of scraper or it will crack.
    This is the best option tbh it means any old stain is gone and wont peel off over winter.
    Hard to tell without seeing job but im guessing stripping the sills will be enough as its these that take the most abuse from the weather.

edit: avoid a gas burner if you dont know what your doing or you may need a new house 😆

RustyMac

Ok can do that no problem, thanks for your patience and answering my question after question after question

[edit]got a electric heat gun so will be using that[/edit]

seanodav
    Free Member

No worries and good luck!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What is the best Paint/Stain for Wooden Windows?’ is closed to new replies.