Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What is “roost protection”? Confused!
  • Badger
    Free Member

Hi

Looking at buying some body armour for Whistler in the summer – got lots of birthday money to spend but doing the research and I keep finding comments about “Roost Protection” or “protection from roost”

I thought it would be specific to one limb / body part but I’ve seen it on helmets, body armou, arm guards etc.

What the hell is “Roost”?

Thanks

miketually
    Free Member

“Roost” comes from motorcross. It’s the dirt thrown up from the rear wheel. Club Roost is named after this.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My guess? From motocross – a roostertail is the dirt that is thrown up from a spinning whel – often contains rocks so MX riders wea protection on the chest and arms to prote4ct from this and this kit been adapted to MTB use?????

MrNutt
    Free Member

chest protector, ether that of a ring of claymores around a hutch.

markenduro
    Free Member

Roost is what happens when you leave steel out in the rain in South Africa

Badger
    Free Member

Thanks mike for enlightening me!

protection from getting muddy? But I’m a mountain biker… surely mud is part of the whole experience?

;o)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

In motocross the roostertail contains rocks thrown at you at high speed

solamanda
    Free Member

protection from getting muddy? But I’m a mountain biker… surely mud is part of the whole experience?

Proper roosting from another MX bike infront of you can be bloody uncomfortable/painful, even with armour!

Badger
    Free Member

Cheers everyone – I was scratching my head and couldn’t for the life of me work it out!

Right back to the research ….. I’ll be back with more questions later. I’m not a Downhiller so I’m as lost as a Nun at a sex-toys convention (but willing to learn!)

Badger

miketually
    Free Member

As TJ says, roost has stones in it.

sodafarls
    Free Member

Could it be cheaper to just hire the armour when you get there? smells of vinegar, but it does the job.

Badger
    Free Member

Checked the costs and I’d not save much hiring. For the sake of £100 – £120 I can buy it, have clean stuff that fits right and then afterwards sell what I don’t want to keep for the odd black route sillyness back here in the UK.

Besides its an excuse to buy nice new bike stuff!

julianwilson
    Free Member

I would be less concerned about roost protection and look for forearm, elbow and shoulder ‘cups’ and a most importantly a spine protector (armadillo-like plates that allow you to bend forward but not flex your back too far backwards). Oddly motocross roost protectors don’t always seem to have that on it. Despite the odds of crippling yourself increasing with speed and height off the ground.

try some on before you buy too: I come up much smaller for body armour than i would have expected as i am all beer gut and thighs with smallish calves and an ‘E.T. phone home’ upper body.

Badger
    Free Member

Yeah ideally I’d like the 661 Core protector (I like the fact it’s light but has both back and kidney protectors) – but it doesn’t seem to come with shoulder cups? (anyone seen them with?).

I’m then looking at a set of knee and shin (I hate flats but I’m not doing some of the stuff planned with clipless!), elbow and possibly forearm

The elbow is most important as I’ve broken an elbow/arm joint and it took a long time to heal – and is therefore weaker.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What is “roost protection”? Confused!’ is closed to new replies.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.