• This topic has 21 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by WTF.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What is Nitanium?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’m being told it’s a “Nitanium is a nickel titanium compound, very light”

But my Googling is saying it’s cromo.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

is not it a brand name given to a blend of steel tubing, by Ritchey?

I think some Spesh steel frames circa late 90s were made of ‘Ritchey Nitanium’ tubing.

Nickel may well be a constituent part, but I’m sure Titanium is not, as I’m pretty sure Titanium can’t be alloyed with steel.

A catchy name that sounds like Titanium, but is not, to get prospective buyers’ interest.

EDT: A quick Google of ‘Ritchey Nitanium reveals this:

“Nitanium is a special hybrid non-heat-treated form of Chromoly steel that contains trace elements of Titanium and Niobium (element number 41 in the periodic table)”.

So, praps a tiny bit of Titanium, but not in sufficient quantity to be worthy of much notice.

They were steel frames; quite nice, but nowt really that exotic.

Q
    Free Member

Nitanium is a special hybrid non-heat-treated form of Chromoly steel that contains trace elements of Titanium and Niobium

aphex_2k
    Free Member

is not that good!? :p

Just looking at a Nitanium Rockhopper on the bay. Thinking about some carbon forks and a single speed conversion. Might be a nice little tool.

finbar
    Free Member

Those nitanium Rockhoppers were cheap bikes (£500 ish), don’t get too excited.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Trace elements?

Holy crap. I’ve just read a load of stuff on Niobium. Now there’s a Friday night I’ll tell the kids about one day.

RRrrandom.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

finbar – Member

Those nitanium Rockhoppers were cheap bikes (£500 ish), don’t get too excited.

Well by virtue of the fact that, there really isn’t /THAT/ much info on the net about them, they can’t have made too much of an impact in cycling circles.

I really shouldn’t ebay with alcohol in reach. *Ponders USB breath alcohol reading – keyboard lock tool*

RudeBoy
    Free Member

They were pretty decent frames, to be fair. Double butted cro-mo. Not Reynolds 853/Tange Prestige sort of territory, but still fairly decent. My mate Welsh Kev had one; it were a nice frame.

The sort of frame you might bung Deroe/SLX on. Probbly not exotic enough to warrant XT/XTR, but would make a nice little bike, for sure. Much better than a cheap alu frame. Probbly a little bit nicer than the cheapo ‘DN6’ cro-mo tubing On-One use, for example.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Bolox. Run out of beer. Offie here I come!

Anyone want owt?

crazy-legs

Steel alloy with about 2% of Ti and Nb in it. No real advantages over normal steel, Specialized only used the tubing for a couple of years.
    We sold LOADS of those Rockhoppers, one of the most popular bikes of the year back then (1998?).

I think Ritchey used Nitanium tubing for a while as well.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’m good. I have gin.

On One you say? New company? Don’t see many of em around do ya?

🙄

RudeBoy
    Free Member

aracer
    Free Member

No real advantages over normal steel

Unless of course you’re in the marketing department 🙄

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Nooooo do NOT show me shiny things.

Already got a nice steel bike. And I have to leave that here for a year while I’m in Oz.

If you’re gonna post pics, post some of light race-esque hardtails circa £1k

RudeBoy
    Free Member

There you go:

Nice, is that.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

something nice I mean.

It’s gonna have to be big brand and off the peg. Not something I want to ship over, something I can buy when I’m there.

Is there a “seriously off topic” smiley? No?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

something nice I mean.

What you on about? Do you not recognise quality when you see it???

That’s a top frame, that. Considering I paid £400 for the frame and fork, it’s bloody brilliant.

See those rims? They’s Camapgnolo K2s. Proper rare. The Cranks? Cannondale Coda Tarrantula 2×9 version. Also rare. That’s sh1t hot, that bike.

Pisses over owt off the peg, I can tell you.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oh I’m not doubting that, it’s just that I won’t have access to many niche/boutique/brand other than a big brand model over in Perth. I can’t think of any Oz brands tbh.

Also just want to land and go buy one. I have 2 weeks to learn the route to work and find my way around a little before I start work. 😐

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve one of those… great little bike

RudeBoy
    Free Member

it’s just that I won’t have access to many niche/boutique/brand other than a big brand model over in Perth.

Oh, right- sorry mate!

I’m sure Merlin could sort you out, re Oz currency, no?

I don’t think Merlin’s Rock Lobsters are that ‘niche’! 😀

You can’t go wrong with Spesh/Trek/Giant/Marin etc, imo. All make right nice bikes. Maybe not that exciting, in terms of image, but you don’t give a stuff about ‘image’, when yer out enjoying yerself!

Keva; you have impeccable taste, sir.

Although mine is better, by sheer fact of the location of the background…. 😉

mefty
    Free Member

There is a Nintanium Specialized Rockhoopper sitting in my garage bought second hand in 1999 for £200 – good solid steel frame used mainly for commuting etc. although had a couple of years as a single speeed.

WTF
    Free Member

My Oakleys are made of Unobtainium 😀
    I do believe it is a titainium and element 404 alloy 😆

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What is Nitanium?’ is closed to new replies.