Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 294 total)
  • What is it with these massive rucksack/camelbak things ?
  • backhander
    Free Member

KKF, I’ve never seen a picture where a dog is so obviously smiling.
    It’s made me happy, thanks for that mate.

Cougar

Did I just read that someone has a 35 litre rucksack for riding WTF.

Yep. If you’d read the rest of my post, you’d have found out why. Short answer for the hard of reading; it’s what I have to hand. It’s not full, far from it, though it comes close on the rare occasions that I’m carrying clothing (fleece or waterproof) for two people.

Do I need it? No, of course not. Is it causing an issue for me or anyone else? No. So what’s the problem?

The alternative is spunking 80 quid on a ‘proper’ small pack for riding. I might have a rucksack that’s too big, but I also have 80 quid in my pocket to spend on beer and hookers.

redthunder
    Free Member

I have a Northface Hammerhead bag:

Contents mostly:

Pump, Multitool, Puncture Repair Kit, SRAM Link, Millions of Zip Ties, Mech Hangers, First Aid Kit, Yellow Bag Cover, Bionic Coat, Saw, Camera, Food, Water Bottle, Secateurs, Money, Knife, Plastic Bags, Twigs, Leaves and Spiders.

It always weighs a ton 🙁

I might tip mine out for a photo as well.

willyboy
    Free Member

On a short jaunt out I prefer to carry the following:

9 malted milk biscuit (one for each of the 7 dwarfs & 2 for zac toogood)
    Grandpapas old poo spade (from the great war)
    My trust Bowie knife
    A snifter of Mrs Hoggins finest Sloe gin (kept in my battered hip flask)
    2 woods valve tubes
    My sterling silver Rapha dogtags & a bar of the finest ‘Ventoux inspired’ hand soap
    A short cage & long cage reach mech & 114 link chain
    16 sram split links & 6 pairs of latex gloves
    An avalanche probe
    2 spare walkie talkies
    My trusty barbour jacket
    Up lift pass for the day (essential for days at Cannock)
    My mobi pressure washer
    2 spare tyres (for inclement conditions)
    A hard bound Park Tool maintenance book
    16 Snap on Spanners, a chain whip, cassette tool and my homemade headset press
    160 & 183mm disc rotors
    Willo the Jack Russell, his food and his Alessi dog bowl (he won’t eat out of anything else).
    My Brooks leather trouser clips
    And finally a small pack up (2 cup a soups, a bag of monster munch, my gentlemens relish and 3 triangle marmite sandwiches)

When riding for more than 3 hours i also like to carry…………..

redthunder
    Free Member

@willyboy.

Really 😉 is that all.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

willyboy – Member
    On a short jaunt out I prefer to carry the following:

9 malted milk biscuit (one for each of the 7 dwarfs & 2 for zac toogood)
    Grandpapas old poo spade (from the great war)
    My trust Bowie knife
    A snifter of Mrs Hoggins finest Sloe gin (kept in my battered hip flask)
    2 woods valve tubes
    My sterling silver Rapha dogtags & a bar of the finest ‘Ventoux inspired’ hand soap
    A short cage & long cage reach mech & 114 link chain
    16 sram split links & 6 pairs of latex gloves
    An avalanche probe
    2 spare walkie talkies
    My trusty barbour jacket
    Up lift pass for the day (essential for days at Cannock)
    My mobi pressure washer
    2 spare tyres (for inclement conditions)
    A hard bound Park Tool maintenance book
    16 Snap on Spanners, a chain whip, cassette tool and my homemade headset press
    160 & 183mm disc rotors
    Willo the Jack Russell, his food and his Alessi dog bowl (he won’t eat out of anything else).
    My Brooks leather trouser clips
    And finally a small pack up (2 cup a soups, a bag of monster munch, my gentlemens relish and 3 triangle marmite sandwiches)

When riding for more than 3 hours i also like to carry…………..

Promote this man, at once.

Loving the Grandpapas old poo spade (from the great war), My sterling silver Rapha dogtags & a bar of the finest ‘Ventoux inspired’ hand soap and basically all everthing else. AMAZING !

Cougar

Genius.

molgrips
    Free Member

The alternative is spunking 80 quid on a ‘proper’ small pack for riding

No, camelbaks are not that expensive.

greyman
    Free Member

dunno how I’ve just seen this thread – read the lot, excellent men – it’s what this site’s all about

“pump on the frame” – that’s what we’re dealing with here 😉

all you guys who attach stuff to the bike – yer insane.

G (off to read that thread about unobtrusive mudguards – LOL)

Cougar

No, camelbaks are not that expensive.

If they’re more expensive than ‘free’, I’ll be out of pocket (buying something I neither want nor need in order to look good to the intolerati).

SonicBoomBoy
    Free Member

My turfed tote-bag tally is mind boggling. On any given ride , I carry a wad of;
    paid bills,
    another wad of unpaid bills,
    a menagerie of makeup,
    a pack of tampons,
    Advil pain pills,
    receipts,
    coupons,
    expired coupons,
    way too many loyalty program plastic cards,
    tangled pony tail elastics,
    a bevy of barrettes,
    a pen,
    a check book,
    some chocolate,
    and dental floss. 😐

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not telling you to get one, I’m telling you they are not £80 🙂 I don’t care what you ride with.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i carry full body armour and a full-face helmet in my 85ltr little camping bag on my back when riding, stops me getting too hot if i carry them isntead of wear them…

rewski
    Free Member

You can never have too much kit, now if I can just find my carbon multi tool and workbench.

peteroughton169
    Free Member

Well ok moron op, why start such a pointless thread? You obviously knew the answer before you started, are you lonely?

Bunnyhop

I’ve landed on my back pack a couple of times and it’s broken the fall nicely, so I shall stuff it fully with many buffs, fleeces, gilets, spare gloves and waterproofs as possible.

cinnamon_girl (sorry for the late reply) I’m usually riding the sewing machine, or that’s what it feels like.

Lol @ willyboy.

amodicumofgnar

I have the kitchen sink cinnamon_girl.

Is that part of the bunnyhop bake-o-matic cake machine? 😀

This is really just the mountain biking version of the balloon debate isnt it?

I vote cakes stay.

donsimon
    Free Member

Is this still going on? Did we find an answer?

alpin
    Free Member

wow…..

i must say that whilst guiding over the summer i was amazed at what some people took with them on a day ride. ok, we were crossing the Alps, but you always had your luggauge waiting for you at the end of the day.

the women were generally the worst. they’d have a windproof top, windproof trousers, water proofs – top and bottom, a top, socks and all manner of other shite. and no, they weren’t carrying any body armour around or even a bladder.

some of the people were then complaining that their bags were too heavy.

i think that my bag would on average weigh around 3.5-4kg: windproof jacket & waterproof trousers (150g max), a spare top, maybe my thicker Gore jacket depending upon weather, three innertubes, multi-tool, pump, innertube patches, first aid kit, camera and about 1.5ltr water.

some of the guests had packs weighing about 6-8kg! i didn’t have that much when my mate and i went bivvying through the Alps last year….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

yes – we are all ‘tards

TrentSteel
    Free Member

come on

just

a

couple

more

to

reach

page

eight,

this

needs

further

examination

slugwash
    Free Member

Right, I’m off for my regular Saturday morning blast around the local trails. I’ve got to be back home by midday ‘cos me nan’s coming round for lunch so I’m travelling fairly light today.

Just one small dilemma though, hardtail SS or full susser?….. 😉

Well ok moron op, why start such a pointless thread?

Ha, that told him, didn’t it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

for a pointless thread it got plenty of debate.

What if the debate is pointless though ?

Does a thread need pointful debate to have a point its self ?

LoveTubs
    Free Member

WOW, this tread has tranmogrified!

We are a funny species, you can turn over a page containing the latest global catastrophe…but dare to question the contents of one’s bag! Anyone taking this thread even remotely seriously should recieve a public birching 😯

May I add that I found the latter stages/posts particularly amusing, thanks.

Have Used On Trails

Tubes x2
    CO2 (if I’m feeling exotic)/pump
    Power link (when I remember to pack em)
    Topeak mini tool (not the penknife type)
    Mini chain tool
    Leaches (patches, as opposed to trackside blood letting)
    Jacket, (if not donned)
    Couple of velcro straps (usually when night riding)

Have Packed, But Since Ditched

Plasti-tie
    Leatherman
    compass

Have Never Needed

Rear shock pump
    Sleeping bag
    Silver bag
    flares
    matches
    first aid kit
    survival shelter
    hammock
    SAS handbook
    Lofty Wiseman
    Sir Ranulph Fiennes
    Bear Grylls

………. 😛

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

(Darkside content :roll:)

Just been out on the “road bike” for 2.5 hrs, took nowt except a mobile phone and one bottle of water, I SURVIVED, just…….. 😛

My mates had a few spare tubs and pump, thats what mates are for, next ride I will carry the stuff.

ononeorange

Just for you KingKong I rode today with my tiny (uselessly small, it wasn’t a good buy) camelback. By the time the car keys, pump and 2 tubes were in, it was full. Felt very unprepared but hope you can rest better today knowing that.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Finally, the minimalist retaliatory salvo….. I’m riding out tonight with nothing more than a durex for back-up 😯 I’ll drink my own….sweat to survive.

Can you tell I’ve not been able to cycle today?

stumpynya12
    Free Member

I’ve just returned from an epic out on the moor with minimum kit and guess what I’m alive, I actually made it home …..ta dar and thank you.

flamejob
    Free Member

yes – we are all ‘tards

Speak for yourself. I was pure awesome yesterday.

I used my first aid kit again yesterday (girl in our group took the top of her finger off, it’s now kept at the top of my ‘pack it’s used so often. I’m actually thinking of putting a tiny bottle of alcohol in there to clean cuts.

I think road kit is a bit different; I take-
    Tube strapped to seat
    Bottle in cage
    In jersey;
    Tiny pump
    Two tyre levers
    Keys
    Wallet
    Phone (in waterproof case so it doesn’t get sweaty)

findo_gask
    Free Member

You haven’t lived until you’ve walked a couple of hours (in cleats) to the nearest settlement, begged a loan of equipment from a hardware store or petrol station, then had to time-trial it back in terrible weather and failing daylight along grim and busy 20 miles of trunk road.

Minimalism helps create epics, discuss.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Minimalist means carrying everything one needs but nothing extraneous. See my list earlier

h4muf
    Free Member

Camelbak’s are for gheyer’s.

This is my set up.

I’m quite fast going down jacob’s ladder too!

_tom_
    Free Member

Just to help getting this onto page 8 “for the epic win”, I may as well post what I have in my bag so someone can slag it off… 1 innertube, puncture kit, multi tool, chain tool, tyre levers, spare links of chain, food and my trusty dennis the menace pump. It all just about squeezes in.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

_tom_

IMO thats the sort of kit you need – not the kitchen sink and all

_tom_
    Free Member

I would like to be able to fit a proper camera in, just got my compact in my pocket. another tube might be useful for longer rides as well but I don’t do many of those.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How much kit you carry is really important.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

It makes me cry, because it is so important

crazy-legs

I remember biking over Helvellyn when I was about 17 and the only tools/spares I had fitted neatly into a bumbag (cos they were cool back then OK?). And also, CamelBaks hadn’t been invented. Bottle of water and pump mounted onto the bike.

Can anyone explain why 3 l of water is needed for a ride of a few hours?

Never ridden in Utah have you? We got through 5L each on a 10 mile ride round Slickrock, most people still did the last couple of miles having run out of water…

Loving some of the replies to ths thread though! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 294 total)

The topic ‘What is it with these massive rucksack/camelbak things ?’ is closed to new replies.