Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What is it about old bikes … ?
  • lasty
    Free Member

Choice of 3 bikes this afternoon but decided to dig out my old DAWES Republic with a view to giving it a once over, sorting out any niggles and sell as a cheapo commuter.
    A few miles down the towpath and absolutely loved the ride – faultless 8 speed SRAM, proper hybrid gearing (28-38-48) so not spinning away madly, good freerolling wheels, silent freehub, adequate V brakes …

Bit like one last pop on an ex-girlfriend I suppose …. 🙄

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I seem to be buying bikes that I had ‘back in the day’. Finished building up a 1997 Cindercone a couple of months ago. Then picked up a 2002 Stumpy last week. Riding the Cindercone around the Lakes has been good fun, although wrists might disagree. Haha.

samuri
    Free Member

Soul.

Few new bikes got it

scotroutes

They’re shit?

kcal

Is it old bikes in general though, or /your/ old bikes – that you feel part of because you’ve been riding them for ages?

FWIW both my MTBs are pre-2000 – one I’ve had from new, one was bought S/H. Quite different in character but can’t imagine getting rid of either (probably worth next to nothing anyway..)

CountZero

My very first ‘grown-up’ bike was one of these:

A BSA Star Rider. Had cow-horn ‘bars on it and 650B Avon cyclocross tyres, (27″x13/8″), and rode the thing all over the place, in the woods, along dirt tracks. Then I got all grown up and sold it.
    Not so long ago, I did a search for those old bikes, and saw this one:

Wish I’d never sold it, now. 🙁

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What is it about old bikes … ?’ is closed to new replies.