Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What is it?
  • bentandbroken

I am only going to (try and) post a single image for now as I know people have issues with this on here and I didnt want to spend ages writing a big post, so here goes….

Fourth tryThe whole set

MartynS

it appears to be a small blue square with a question mark in it..

edit.. now some code..

bentandbroken

OK, three attempts later and still no success in posting an image 🙁

EDIT – Yay!

bentandbroken

The first part of the assembly….

Main Assembly

bentandbroken

Close up of the smaller parts

Close up

bentandbroken

The only marks/writing on any of it.

Coutts

I googled and this is the address for Coutts Bank in London which blows my theory of “something to do with watchmaking or maybe navigation” apart

bentandbroken

And finally how I think it goes together. This is only a theory. The broken lens makes things tricky, but there does seem to be a focusing mechanism where you move the middle (broken) lens by winding the small brass ‘pulley’

Assembeled - But maybe not correctly

The bottom lens is actually a mirror, but there are bits that seem to be exactly the right size to cover the mirror part.

The box is wood and about the size of a pack of playing cards. The metal is probably brass. I don’t know if all the parts in the box actually belong to it.

impatientbull

I guessed an old fashioned pocket microscope, which seems to be correct:

http://www.microscope-antiques.com/hxpocketmicro.html

bentandbroken

That was quick. I did think of a microscope, not sure why I think forgot the idea :-/

It’s a lovely thing and was found during the house clearance of a relative. Their father was a Radiologist and had a keen interest in macro photography of flowers. That site suggests these sort of things were used by travelling botanists so it kind of tallies….

Greybeard
    Free Member
    bentandbroken

@greybeard I was just reading that page. Looks like it is at least 216 years old!

Onzadog
    Free Member

216 years old you say? Ironically, isn’t that when the method for posting photos on the forum was last updated?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What is it?’ is closed to new replies.