Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • What is gravel grinding ?
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

We’ve had hybrids for years…

Yep, and gravel bikes will eat into that market share. A quick google shows that road bikes, mountain bikes and hybrids all have a 20-25% market share. So, if gravel bikes took 5% off each category then it`ll have a healthy share of the market.

epicyclo

Nobeerinthefridge

We’ve had hybrids for years…

That’s a fair comment, but generally speaking they were unattractive to either dropbar bike users or mtb riders.

They looked like they were aimed at old duffers to ride along smooth canal paths for a mile or two to the pub and back.

Most I saw had low spec groupsets and tyres, and I wouldn’t be keen to go into the middle of nowhere on one. Shopping & commuting, maybe. The frames may have made a good basis for a custom gravel build though. (This being STW, I’ll bet someone will now mention brand X which I have entirely overlooked. 🙂 )

kerley
    Free Member

but generally speaking they were unattractive to either dropbar bike users or mtb riders.

Agree, and they still will be unattractive for same reasons.   Gravel bikes have fashion on their side but fashion only lasts for so long (see fat bikes, fixed gear bikes, single speed MTBs and so on).  People buy one as gravel is what ‘everyone’ is doing and then go back to their road bike or MTB when they find out it doesn’t suit them more than what they were already do.  10 years and people won’t be talking about gravel bikes (and no I am not going to come back and check)

Nico
    Free Member

* not scientific in any way shape or form

You do know* that shape and form are the same thing.

* by which I mean you don’t know.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They looked like they were aimed at old duffers to ride along smooth canal paths for a mile or two to the pub and back.

Ahem…. 🤣

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You do know* that shape and form are the same thing.

* by which I mean you don’t know.

Yes, how dare you use a common phrase, that appears in the dictionary….

vincienup
    Free Member

Ah, STW… 🤦‍♂️

Gravel bikes may well be the successful mixed use and commuter category for some time.  We’ve already shown that road bikes are too fragile for anything that isn’t their speciality, MTBs are usually either BSOs in disguise or way overspecified for most riding and potential security nightmares to boot and actual CX bikes are just too focussed for most riders who didn’t want to spend a muddy hour trying to go round a field as many times as possible.

As a race:event format, Gravel in the UK is a near non starter I’d think.

rydster
    Free Member

A way for bike retailers to get people to buy an N +1 bike they don’t really need? 😀

Seriously, these kind of bikes have always been with us though just they didn’t have a name ,and people tended to build them up themselves as appropriate. The only ‘new’ thing is the disk brakes really but that goes for any bike with disk brakes.

rydster
    Free Member

People buy one as gravel is what ‘everyone’ is doing and then go back to their road bike or MTB when they find out it doesn’t suit them more than what they were already do.

Well for my TPT, bridleway, road, and canal path commute neither a road bike nor an MTB are as suitable as a ‘gravel bike’, i.e., a rugged road bike with wider tyres. One might as well say the gravel bike is a super-commuter bike for people with a few quid?

andypaul99
    Free Member

A way for bike retailers to get people to buy an N +1 bike they don’t really need?

One mans N+1 is another mans staple.

I’ll admit that when i first got my gravel bike i did wonder why? But after 5,000 or so k’s on it and well over 100,000m gained i wouldnt change it for the world.

Definately the best bike in my fleet (of 4).

boxelder

“As a race:event format, Gravel in the UK is a near non starter I’d think.”

The guys from the US who have ridden the Dirty Reiver would disagree, but then we don’t have to agree on everything and ride the same stuff, do we. Choice is grrrrreat.

kerley
    Free Member

We’ve already shown that road bikes are too fragile for anything that isn’t their speciality,

Who is the “we”.  I have ridden a track bike on gravel for 10+ years with road wheels, road cranks etc,.  Can’t say I have found it too fragile yet.

iainc

^^^ you often post about riding a fixed wheel track bike off road through choice, may I ask why ?  Genuinely curious as seems an odd choice.

jameso

Gravel vs Road, in the UK (imho, if we take the industry average or generic product for each):

Gravel bike – I like road riding. I can ride fairly fast on road and I can link up nice lanes with byways, sometimes it’s so I can avoid those faster busier roads that I don’t find pleasant to ride on. I can fit bigger tyres for touring, or light off-road trips if I accept that it’s a poor alternative to a real MTB.

Road bike – I like road riding and racing is influential. I want to ride flat-out fast or with a club, I need to minimise any losses on road and 1mph average speed drop is significant to me.

Based on something that, I don’t see how ‘gravel’ bikes or a fatter-tyred drop bar bike could be seen as a minority thing. Majority? Subjective, but based on the tyres and riding position of most road riders I see out and about, I wouldn’t bet against it. You could say I’ve bet with it – in hindsight I’ve had 10+ years of basing a chunk of my professional reputation on this market balance/judgement and bike type.

RustySpanner

It’s the evolution of the modern, all round bicycle.

The ‘g****l’ bit is a superfluous Americanism used  by those who can’t exist without compartmentalising everything.

They are bicycles, plain and simple.

maccruiskeen

What is Gravel Grinding ?

Its a bit like ‘Sex on the Beach’, but the beach is in Sidmouth

jameso

used  by those who can’t exist without compartmentalising everything.

…marketing depts. But some genre-fication is just how we all work so I don’t hate them for that : )

epicyclo

Rusty Spanner

The ‘g****l’ bit is a superfluous Americanism used  by those who can’t exist without compartmentalising everything.

They are bicycles, plain and simple.

They are all bicycles.

Here you are sir, a bicycle. Of course you can ride it down Ben Nevis, it’s a bicycle.

Oh, you want to have a crack at the world track record? No problem sir, it’s a bicycle.

And then go touring around the world? No problem sir, it’s a bicycle.

I think I prefer compartmentalising my bikes.

Gravel is good. 🙂

joemmo
    Free Member

This is how language works. People use words as a shortcut to a longer description based on shared understanding of what the word is being used to describe. You might not like the term but you know what it means and modern all-round bicycle doesn’t make any more sense unless there is consensus about what it describes.

Anyway, if you feel so strongly about the use of language to reduce ambiguity you could always change your user name to Corroded Implement and keep things open ended

(Use of punctuation marks as symbolic element indicating post is intended to be understood in a non-serious tone)

scotroutes

you could always change your user name to Corroded Implement

I was thinking Old Tool.

kerley
    Free Member

you often post about riding a fixed wheel track bike off road through choice, may I ask why ?  Genuinely curious as seems an odd choice.

Because it is the perfect bike for me.  I started riding fixed gear in 2002 and loved it immediately.  I haven’t used gears since that time but have tried singlespeed now and again but it is not as enjoyable as fixed gear.  First few years were on the road but then just rode it on all the gravel roads I was passing and it was just as good as on the road.  I genuinely don’t find gravel any less comfortable to ride on than tarmac.

I think you either enjoy fixed gear bikes or you don’t and if you see them as an odd choice that’s because they are not for you.  To me an odd choice is to ride a bike with suspension, big knobbly tyres and loads of gears on a surface (gravel) where none of those things are required (to me) yet the majority of people I see are riding MTBs

I will admit it is slower on rooty/rocky single track but that is such a small part of my ride I just live with being a bit slower.

RustySpanner

You might not like the term but you know what it means and modern all-round bicycle doesn’t make any more sense unless there is consensus about what it describes.

I think there’s more concensus in the real world about what an all rounder is than a gravel bike.

I was thinking Old Tool.

🙂

Shush now Onion and post us another picture of your tourer. Or is it a gravel bike now?

😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Think I just finally discovered what it means.

Am camping halfway down the Mawddach Trail. Arrive late in a rush, didn’t pitch until nearly dark. Decide to take the singlespeed and camera westwards along the old railway line trail (properly grey and dead-flat gravel) towards Barmouth to grab some twilight shots. Get nearly all the way to Fairbourne

4km

before realising that it would be nice to have a pint, maybe a bite to eat? Before realising that I don’t have my wallet as left it back at the site. Stop to take pics. Fit the new front light. Send txt campsite owner saying have arrived, and another to wife to let know all is well. Cycle back to site for wallet.

8km

Decide against returning towards Barmouth, am now really hungry so decide to cycle instead to nearby George III Hotel at Penmaenpool . The gravel makes a wet grinding sound. It’s now bloody cold out. Looking fwd to a pint. Tree tunnels are a bit spooky and new light a bit spotty. No other fool out tonight. Become hypnotised by the tree-tunnels. Arrive at George III anticipating ale, egg and chips or something.

10km

Looks dark in there.

‘Closed until March’.

Bit of swearing. Do I – 1. Cycle double original distance back to Barmouth? or 2. Carry on to Dolgellau?
    Choose 2.

Getting damp and colder. Gravel is wet with low cloud/mist, gravel now clay-like with small puddles. Is spackling my bike and face. The tedium is a monotone song of tyre-crunch and clay-spatter The chain is making a subtle grinding noise. My cadence is unchanging. The tree-tunnels go on for a few km. Beam pattern of front light has subtle concentric circles at the outer radius. These create softly radiating broken waves of light on the tree-trunks and branches up ahead. Hypnotic and a little disorientating.

Arrive Dolgellau

14km

Lock bike. Order pint of Landlord in Torrent Bar. Discover no bar food available. Order Scampi Fries from the Gods. Decide to check phone for signal and options. Learn in moment of extreme cringing horror that my txted declarations of reassurance and affection (‘tent up, goodnight my lovely, kisses etc, battery 8%’) had been sent NOT to Mrs Rider but instead to the (lady) owner of the campsite.

Argh ARGHARGH.

Laughed out so loudly, had then to explain to total strangers in bar what was going on. In case I looked weird. Now I’m just digging a hole in public. Hating self. Order pint of Purple Moose. Sit and try to apologise-text the landownerlady but there is no signal. It seems a bit late for apologies. Gah. Order another pint of Purple Moose (Elderflower Ale). – damn, it’s good beer.

Finally go outside and procure a signal. Explain to campsite owner my prior txt error, via correct txt. ‘No worries’ is the terse/economical/unworried response. I think, maybe ‘phew’. Then spy a burger/kebab/pizza/shop across the way. FOOD! Go enquire and order. Half-pound shiteburger w/cheese is against my principles but am ravenous, slighty squiffy and defences down.

Knock back a final ‘farmer’s half’ and then leave to collect burger and chips across the way. Stuff food parcel unceremoniously into Lobo backpack and head again for the trail. Jesus, it is cold tonight. Don’t favour burger and chips really. Wish had ordered curry but impatience won the day. Really don’t want cold burger and chips. Ravenous, remember? I bollock it across a floodlit empty rugby pitch, taking some clumsy air off the retaining bank to land ceremoniously if optimistically once more on the Mawddach Trail. Gravel, sweet gravel. ⛺️ and hot food seems achievable.

I get into the grind, go hard and peg off another 7km to a grand total of 21km. A reasonable distance for what was to be a quick pint. I make a lot of motivational noises, whoops and barks, maybe because it’s so eerily still and quiet across the estuary and in the woods. Halloween was the night before, yet I wonder if the veil is still thin!

Grind. Grind. Keep looking forward.

I arrive at final trail to the camp somewhat sooner than anticipated. YES! Could eat my weight in chips. Lie on stomach, close tent to keep in the cold, then carefully unwrap the damp, flappy paper and open the precious styrofoam container as if cracking a safe. This releases a small, sorrowful pool of barely-warm grease and thin garlic mayo onto my groundsheet. This looked worse than anything. It looks way worse than a burger and chips should ever look.

I take a sad photo as a keepsake. It really is the worst food I’ve ever bought. The chips are somehow drier than sand and emptier than little leather bags of nothing. The ‘cheeseburger’ is a gravel-grey grease sponge. The ‘bun’ is a smear of something like flesh that folds back like a graze-wound to reveal some limp, slimey snot-green innards that in no way resemble the ‘salad’ I ordered. It is a horror-parody of food. It is matter and snot in a soggy flap of pap. There should be cheese, I think I see it among some lurid salmon pink wet speckles atop the grey mass. Or maybe that is it?  I eat every last mouthful as would a joyless automaton. As a man who knows he is due to be hanged at dawn.

Life is good. But not that good. I sleep as a means of escape. Next day it takes me 30 mins with handfuls of dew-y grass and lush sphagnum moss to clean the gravel-mud spatter from the bike. Another 10 to locate and remove the burger-grease from the groundsheet. Two days later, am still removing the experience from mind and body.

Gravel is predictable. Life is not*. I’d do it all again in a heartbeat. Except for the food.

*Unless are supreme cynic, in which case confirmation bias predicts everything with unnerving accuracy.

#lordovgravelz

#fatblokfetcheschipviabike

#ridetothepub

#bimblegeddon

colournoise

Shape 2d.

Form 3d.

Apart from that they’re the same thing yeah.

montgomery
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about combining my (mothballed) road bike and rigid mountain bike into some sort of gravel compromise. It’d work for a large chunk of the riding I do. However, a trip to Calderdale on Friday swings the balance for me – happy enough riding things like Blue Pig and Pecket Well on a rigid bike, but wouldn’t be quite so happy if I had drop bars on the front…

But I’ve mothballed the road bike because I no longer have any interest in being limited solely to roads on any given ride. If I go back to a 2-bike shed, I think the gravel option would have to be looked at.

joemmo
    Free Member

I think there’s more concensus in the real world about what an all rounder is than a gravel bike.

All-rounder could mean pretty much anything that spans a section of the bike spectrum from enduro bike to aero road bike depending on your point of view. Gravel bike, for better or worse gets us into the right sort of area of robust drop bar bike with wide tyre clearance. Is that so awful?

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘What is gravel grinding ?’ is closed to new replies.