Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • What is fun to drive, capacious, does 40+ to the gallon and cost less that £5K ?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

so may end up going for a c max or mondeo

I’d probably go for the mondeo estate if you could find one for the same price/miles, my C-max just happend to be what the garrage had and I needed a car there and then, it’s been great but you do become the but of “it’s the S-line version don’t you know” Audi driving STW’ers* telling you that your life is over and you have adopted middle aged conformity.

*the correct resposne is obviously to ask them how many photocopiers they’ve sold this month.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Mondeo ST 155 estate.

Quick, handles reasonably well and has oodles of torque for everyday driving.

Could be found for £6k (just) when I was hunting a few years back, so should be down to £5k for a semi-decent one now.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Preferably german

Out of interest, why? Statistically not all they’re cracked up to be on the whole (especially the higher end / ‘luxury’ cars – lots to go wrong)

edlong
    Free Member

Volvo?

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

While not necessarily as “fun” to drive as others mentioned above I would look for a Mondeo or Vectra hatch. Diesels are pretty economical, there are loads of them, generally cheap as chips to maintain (Vectras are on 20,000 mile service intervals) and very spacious. Both are pretty reasonable to insure as well. Had a Passat estate before (2001-2004) which was very nice and huge. Newer models however seem to have lost some of that spark and reliability. Also pretty expensive for what they are. If you go a bit smaller the Focus or Astra will give you good reliability, economy and there are some fun option amongst them. Skoda Octavia a good sound car that will be cheap and reliable but (aside from the VRS) couldn’t really be described as fun to drive either. Avensis – a truly horrific car to drive. Had a hire one for a couple of weeks a few years ago and it was, without question, THE worst car I have ever driven. Well, apart from an American car – but that’s to be expected.

therag
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

Preferably german

Out of interest, why? Statistically not all they’re cracked up to be on the whole (especially the higher end / ‘luxury’ cars – lots to go wrong)

I’ve had an a3 a bora and a sprinter amongst many other vehicles and always prefered these.

ElShalimo

Does anyone on STW run a Vectra estate? They can’t be that bad can they?
    It seems nobody ever talks about them. They look ideal in that they’re huge and built to take abuse
    They’re quite cheap nowadays as the Insignia has replaced them

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does anyone on STW run a Vectra estate?

My parents had one, admiteldy it was probably a couple of generations older than the latest one, but they hated everything about it, which given my parents car histroy is saying something!

Edric64
    Free Member

MG-ZTT diesel . I’ve got the softer Rover75 version and get over 43mpg urban and over 54mpg on a run

An Over 75 ? which is the age you should be before buying one

therag
    Free Member

I ended up getting a mercedes c220 estate on the weekend. It is quite fun to drive but it didn’t meet the other 2 requirements
    Its doing 32mpg and it was over £5k

ElShalimo

Are there any modern large diesel cars that do not have issues with DPF, EGR or clutch?

fivespot
    Free Member

Got something that ticks most of your boxes http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-ot-seat-alhambra-vw-sharan-19-tdi-6spd-7-seater-2002-87k-fsh-towbar-3 It would make an ideal people/bike carrier, remove the five rear seats (no tools required)and you have a van 😉

Northwind

therag – Member
    I ended up getting a mercedes c220 estate on the weekend. It is quite fun to drive but it didn’t meet the other 2 requirements

I’ve got one of these on the hit list… You don’t fancy measuring the width and height of the boot and the length with the back seats down, do you? It’d be a big help, that info doesn’t seem to be out there…

IanW
    Free Member

Mmm similar choice, stuck between a bmw 318 ci and a Subaru Forester at the mo.

therag
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    therag – Member

I’ve got one of these on the hit list… You don’t fancy measuring the width and height of the boot and the length with the back seats down, do you? It’d be a big help, that info doesn’t seem to be out there…

Width = 1045mm at back & 880mm between wheel arches.
    Height = 700mm
    Length with seats up = 1000mm
    Lenght with seat down = 1925mm

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘What is fun to drive, capacious, does 40+ to the gallon and cost less that £5K ?’ is closed to new replies.