Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 172 total)
  • What IS Enduro – seriously!?
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

Is there any element of head to head racing or do you set off at intervals that prevent one rider having to pass another?

markshires
    Free Member

Isn’t it like going out on a ride and smashing a few strava segments?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yes….whilst paying £50.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustySpanner

Ta for the response, NW.
    I’ll go and watch one in the new year and see how it grabs me.

Rorschach – Member

Yes….whilst paying £50.

HOW MUCH?!?
    It’d better be a bloody good brass band for £50.00.
    Besses o’th Barn at HtN – I’d expect Foden’s for £50.00, possibly even Tredegar.

rsvktm

You missing getting heckled at HTN Pete ? Just have a go, better than watching.

Peter and Jane, missing HTN also.

RustySpanner

rsvktm – Member

You missing getting heckled at HTN Pete ?

Hiya!

Yep.
    🙂

Big HtN shaped hole in my life – I should be panicking round about now and assembling a huuuge list of excuses.

Rorschach
    Free Member

HtN is what Enduro would love to be…….

chakaping
    Free Member

So you don’t know what it is but you’re already sneering at it OP?

Well done you.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I don’t even ride….and I sneer at it.

I applaud you Sir!

chiefgrooveguru

Considering I have been a biker for as long as I remember and keep relatively up to date with new info.
    This one has me stumped!

Whilst you’re busy sneering at enduro I’ll sneer at how massively thick you are.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

For me Enduro is another aspect of MTBing that I just can’t afford. File it alongside most of the stuff that appears on Fridays fresh goods. £50 tyres, £100 shorts, £1000 wheels etc. Now I’m not being bitter but I feel like mountain biking is just becoming another middle class consumer driven past time. It feels like some people are obsessed with having the latest this or that, thinking it’ll make them or the experience better. The last round of the SES had a few people throwing toys out of prams when their mince tanks (copyright Northwind) didn’t help them when the going got tough. At least as somebody else said it does mean that there’s lots of second hand stuff out there. If it wasn’t for that and the likes of On-One I’d probably pack it all in and take up something less expensive like power boat racing.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

YELLOW!?! YELLOW!?!

FFS. And all this time I thought it was about blue.

And yellow is 15% more gnarr. No wonder I’m slow.

tpbiker
    Free Member

For me Enduro is another aspect of MTBing that I just can’t afford.

Don’t think you need to have an expensive bike to get involved. Surely the whole point of it is its accessible. Sure you could spend 6k on a bronson, but equally you could compete on a 1k giant trance and you wouldn’t be massively disadvantaged

Northwind

You’re not wrong Steven… But I reckon for every carbon fibre wonderbike being ridden by an incompetent there’s at least a handful of battlescarred “all mountain” bikes with #nonduro obsolete 26 inch wheels and no primary colours… The bikes don’t have to be expensive but the entry fees do add up.

Sure some folks will think they “need” something else but twas ever thus, to me it still feels mostly run what you brung- you see xc bikes, the odd downhill bike…

(Is mincetank one of mine? It’s good, I’ll take the credit…)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

It’s still £40+ to enter a race, add a few quid on top for bits and pieces and then time off work and I’d be about £200 worse off. I find it hard to justify spending money on bike parts as it is so that kind of money for a race is hard to swallow.

moonsaballoon

I have done 1 enduro ( tweedlove king of the hill ) so feel some what of an expert on the matter . Basically i got to spend two days riding a slection of pretty fun trails , some of them were a bit harder than the trails i was use to but i just about managed to get down in one piece .
    The second day i had to dib a timer at the top and bottom of the trails and this made me want to go as quick as possible , this was not as quick as the lots of people who overtook me but they were all very nice about it .To get to the top of the trails i had to ride up the hill , by the last time up i was pretty knackered .
    I just rode the bike i had but i did use it as an excuse to get a dropper post .
    All in all it was a really good weekend and when you looked at all the effort the organisers had put in i thought it was pretty good value for money . Give it a try you might like it

chiefgrooveguru

For all the blinged up mince tanks I see at enduro races, those on cheaper older bikes (including hardtails) seemed to be having as much fun – and not always slower either! Earlier this year at a local race a guy a occasionally ride with managed top 15% on an old Sovereign with old Pikes – I was miles behind him on my enduro compliant 27.5 Piked/CCDBA’d super slack full-sus. The one thing everyone seemed to have in common was big grins once we’d passed the finish line and caught our breath.

If you want to know what the riding is like, look at who the older competitors are – very few retired XC racers, lots of retired DHers.

Has anyone here done an enduro race and not enjoyed it (apart from when the weather was so hideous it turned into a reenactment of The Somme)?

matt_outandabout

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Enduro = a sportive where you can wear colourful clothings and looks cool and also bling bikes… Purple seatclamps ..things like that.. ( the riders who are riding upfront in the race in lycra’s have no idea what is all about..duh! 🙄 )

chiefgrooveguru

Enduro = a sportive where you can wear colourful clothings and looks cool and also bling bikes ( the riders who are riding upfront in the race in lycra’s have no idea what is all about..duh! )

Are you the OP under a different login?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Nope.. My other login is banned for 900 yrs iirc

Love enduro format event though.. Cant wait next year 😀

PrinceJohn

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNWxNh7ur3Q[/video]

cfinnimore
    Free Member

ntykint – Member
    Whoever that numpty is a few posts up that says downhill is for people too lazy to climb – you haven’t a clue have you

Bite. I said “may be considered”. As in some people think that, not me.

Meh.

Mugboo

It’s fun.

singlespeedstu

This is Enduro.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAMyTuV7L4Q[/video]

What you’re talking about is poncing about in the woods with flouro gear and a bottle cage. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know what Enduro is, and it’s much better without the STW haterz 🙂

Perhaps they should run their own niche core SS Semi Hard Mostly Fat Try Hard races for 37p entry with a gazillion pound prize pot and free grumpiness for all entrants with extra mocking and scorn lessons available. There would need to be a lot of bridges for the trolls to hide under too.

andyrm
    Free Member

^^Love it!

Spot prizes for beard merit and a handicap system based on how many hip flasks and woodpile axes carried…… 😉

uselesshippy
    Free Member

A late entry for “post of the year” from mikewsmith. 😀

maxtorque

mikewsmith

There would need to be a lot of bridges for the trolls to hide under too.

See the current “bridges i ride under/over” thread for details! 😉

maxtorque

singlespeedstu

This is Enduro.

jeez, those^^^ bikes take a beating eh!

jam-bo

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUY2zdHevX0[/video]

Is it as gnarly as this?

plus-one

Enduro = gullible folks spending shitloads on bikes/kit* they don’t need !!!!!!

* shut up and take my money !!!! 🙂

maxtorque

After a years research, and absorbing all the media and marketing on Enduro, i can now categorically state that:

This IS enduro:

These ARE enduro:

This IS enduro:

This IS enduro:

This IS enduro:

This ISN’t enduro:

😉

deviant
    Free Member

Careful now, the fat-bike fashionistas will be along shortly to tell you how a rigid fattie is all the bike you’ll ever need, how they’re faster on the trails than an Enduro-gnar machine, how they instantly put a smile on anybodys face etc etc yawn….

gwaelod
    Free Member

That blokes socks… Fantastic

deviant
    Free Member

It’s a woman isn’t it?…plaited hair coming out from the back of the helmet…..fat bikes; androgynous riding for those who like to blur the gender lines.

cookeaa

I do find it funny all thelse fat bike riding, lumbersexuals picking on #Enduro for being a ridiculous dayglo fashion fest full of Audi ****… People in glass houses hurling breeze blocks, etc…

The truth is that all these little recently added sub-niches have there relative merits, drawbacks and mindless fashion followingsbut I think they all add to the overall strength of cycling and the broad church that MTBing is IMO…

It’s all equally ridiculous and awesome all at the same time. Carry on…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Thing that confuses me are local “Enduro” races near me, Gorrick and Brass Monkeys, seem to be XC races (aside from the races they actually describe as XC). Lycra guys, 29ers, short travel, nothing gravity, trails not super gnarly. They are based on amount of laps completed within the time I think. I’m no racer so don’t know how a true XC race works by comparison.

Seems there’s Enduro as in timed stage races, Gravity Enduro is the same but the stages are all downhill but ridden on trail and AM bikes, and then Enduro meaning Endurance which is different.

?

And then there’s Enduro as in the lifestyle branding. Actually racing Enduro is an option. The look is everything.

chakaping
    Free Member

And then there’s Enduro as in the lifestyle branding. Actually racing Enduro is an option. The look is everything.

This only happened in your head though, didn’t it?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘What IS Enduro – seriously!?’ is closed to new replies.