Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What is Afan looking like at the moment?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Is it still rideable and what are the chances of driving there tomorrow morning?

theotherjonv

Can’t say personally but ‘bad enough’ that Trek / Giant have cancelled their demo day on advice from the FC

Giant and Specialized Postpone Glyncorrwyg Demo Day

I’m sure there is a good insurance / H&S reason for not running an organised event, and you do it at your own risk, etc., but it’s one marker.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think the M4 is currently borked quite badly. If it doesn’t melt today it’ll be deadly cos it’s supposed to freeze tonight.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gwaelod
    Free Member

The schools in Afan Valley are closed today due snow.

peteimpreza

Nick both the Severn bridges are closed due to falling ice smashing car windscreens.

MrNutt
    Free Member

well I can’t get my car out of my drive and the 7 miles across town to the other side of the M4!! I would say that its currently a no-go 🙁

tinsy
    Free Member

I am going down by train this afternoon… The forcast once there looks good for sat and sunday, but to be honest its very unstable. The ones from our lot that are driving have ditched it so far, unless it changes a lot today.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Bugger.

Might give it a go anyway, always fun powersliding about in snow and ice.

Bit of a journey if we have to miss the bridges though

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think you lot should re-schedule to a weekend when I can make it!!

Pretty please [flutters eyelashes] I have a new bike to ride [more fluttering]

:mrgreen:

MrNutt
    Free Member

if you only make it as far as Swindon we could always have a miserable exposure/hypothermia experience up on the ridgeway?

Andy

No its not looking good really is it chaps. I think we will be fine once there, but getting there might be another story.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There speaks a man with not much confidence!
    😉

J
    Free Member

I’m at Afan at the mo. Fresh snow last night, at the visitor’s center there is about 2-3″ where it hasn’t been cleared. There is ice under the snow tho which makes biking interesting. A couple of guys i know went to do the wall yesterday and it took them 4 1/2 – 5 hours for a trail that usually take 1 3/4 hours! The snow at the top is 6-8″ deep and hard to keep plowing through. The snow also has filled in drainage ditches, holes, step downs, so effectively ur riding blind to where the obstacles are along with ice underneath. It is melting a bit and the main roads are clear, but it sounds like you won’t get across the bridge anyway. Glyncorrwg is a bit higher than Afan and they have about the same situation there. Hope that helps :o)

Konastoner
    Free Member

I live in Margam which is not far from Afan, all looks rideable too me. Most of the snow has melted, getting there from Wilts may be a different story.

Andy

Thanks J – pretty much what I thought – perfectly do able but expect interesting conditions, so scaled down expectations – I agree with konastoner though, getting there might be the biggest problem!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Possibly time for an emergency relocation. Anyone know anywhere good on the south coast with gravity?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

soma_rich has suggested we change the location to the Purbecks. Apparently he knows loads of routes. I will email those I know.

Cheers

tinsy
    Free Member

shows a lack of comitment I rekon… 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll leave the studs on then for tomorrow 🙂

Punkass
    Free Member

It was the Specialized/Giant demo that was canceled. As of now, the Trek demo at Aston Hill on Sunday is still happening.

loddrik
    Free Member

Bugger, heard enough to ward me off spending 7 hours driving tomorrow for less than ideal conditions. I spoke to one of the lads a Skyline Cycles today who said that he had a couple of mates ride the wall and it took them 5 hours…

Next week it is then.

stuartkendall
    Free Member

White.

SimonD
    Free Member

Extremely welsh I would say – & before anyone gets upset about my use of the word welsh in describing a place in Wales, let me just clarify: Welsh weather is a law unto intself, VERY variable & almost completely unpredictable..Prepare for the worst, hope for the best – ENJOY!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Anyone ride Afan today. Much snow left?

wonnyj
    Free Member

Today afan was pretty white. A group of ten of us did the penhydd in about 3 hours at a leisurely pace with a few mechanicals. Conditions on the singletrack was pretty good but the fireroad climbs were tough going on the compacted snow/ice. Felt like singletrack all the way.

I then did the wall climb, link over to the whites and then down to glencorrwg – took bloody ages cos those trails are a lot more exposed. Was about 8 inches of snow in places over the parsons nose link. I saw a fox in the snow (where did you go) and then a few meters later loads of foxtracks and the blood of something that had been eaten,.

Really beautiful as the sun was setting, then bloody cold cycling back down the valley to the get train back to swansea.

So yeah, penhydd pretty good, whites/wall/skyline much harder work.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What is Afan looking like at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.