Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What in cocking Nora am I supposed to do now? Brake disc won’t fit conundrum
  • Premier Icon Rich_s

Working on mini_s #3’s bike, found a lovely Goldtec Draco hub on the bay, built it up into a 24″ wheel… came to mount the disc and it doesn’t fit!

The “tabs” where the 6 bolts are, are too big to fit over the hub. By about 1.5mm each.

I’ve checked out a few of my in-stock discs, none of which will fit. Looks like I’ll have to grind the tabs down, but my angle grinder won’t fit in. Dremel?

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanksblinkin thing

Premier Icon stumpy01

Dremel or just a small file will do it.

Premier Icon Rich_s

You sound confident stumpy! I’ll practise on an old one…

Premier Icon cookeaa

Is that red spacer/cap that the rotor is clashing with removable?

Premier Icon twonks

With the forces going through those bolts under heavy braking, I wouldn’t be cutting anything away from the disc itself..

Looks to be more than a few thou to be shaved off and if the red surround isn’t a spacer of sorts, it may release bearings or grease if cut through.

Premier Icon silasgreenback

If its this https://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/product/goldtec-draco-front-hub/
    The. Somethings wrong there.

If it were me, i’d be trying path of least resistance first.

Washers behind the disc and see if you can space the caliper. If IS mount then you could put a washer between mount and frame. Post mount then hope you can slide the caliper across enough. Personally i wouldnt be filing down all the disc mounts. One or two of three you could get sway with not using. But All 6, that’d be praying on my mind the time.

Granted a nippers bike. Not for me though!

Premier Icon TiRed

File. Practice on an old one first. Bolts look like they’ll still have plenty of metal around them. Or look for another disk without the tabs.

Premier Icon Rich_s

Hmm. I’ve attacked it with a file to no great effect. I’m wondering whether other makes may have smaller tabs which would be a much better place to start.

The red thing is the actual hub, so there’s no way around this problem.

Premier Icon sharkattack

Definitely a Dremel job.

Premier Icon Shackleton

Have you got a photo without the disc in front? You could try emailing betd with a photo and see if it is something that they have come across.

Premier Icon StuE

Maybe one of these would work
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/clarks-6-bolt-disc-brake-rotor

Premier Icon MrOvershoot

Rich I’ve done it once or twice before on my own bike and someone elses. Can’t remember which hubs they were but I know they were the same make.

Just file them down a bit and round the edges off once you are happy they are low enough, if it worked for my considerable heft I can’t see it being a problem for your little lass.

If you wan’t pop round as I have a stack of different make disks in the dinky size (unused 😉 ) that might fit better

Premier Icon Rich_s

Maybe one of these would work
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/clarks-6-bolt-disc-brake-rotor

Ah! That could well be the solution!

You could try emailing betd with a photo and see if it is something that they have come across.

Far too sensible a solution 😁

it worked for my considerable heft I can’t see it being a problem for your little lass.

Yeah, but F=mv^2 and she’s only ickle, but faster than you 🤪

Premier Icon MrOvershoot

See edit Rich

Premier Icon benpinnick

Assuming that you could get the disc to fit in the brake then some washers ground on one edge would do it.

Premier Icon Rich_s

See edit Rich

👍

Thanks all. I’ll go see what’s in MrOvershoot’s emporium of shiny bits before I try out other options.

Premier Icon dyna-ti

Old original style hub ?

Years ago i had a similar problem and had to grind a bit off the inner bit of a rotor to make it fit.

there is an adaptor, which converts the 6 bolt to Hope 5 bolt, but as most 5 bolt rotors are the +5mm size, im not sure you could get a modern brake to fit it. Well an IS mount that is. Maybe if it was PM, you could slip a few washers between the IS-PM adaptor and the PM mount on the brake caliper and get it to fit that way. But if the caliper is IS mount, then it will only be the earliest hope calipers- DH4,first gen E4,C2,O2 and anything mini mono on wont fit(as far as i remember)

I do in the box have a goldtec to hope adaptor, and a mono 160mm rotor unusually flavoured in 5 bolt.

The adaptor is in this pic – middle bottom page two. – pic wont post on here, you’ll need to follow the link.

In the pic it says its directly compatible with magura gustav M disc and Louise disc brakes. see if you can find a pic of the Gusttav M rotor and it might look compatible.

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/who-knows-what-about-goldtec-wales.400758/page-2

Premier Icon Rich_s

Yeah, it’s the original style. Having seen MrOvershoot’s stocks are pretty much the same as mine, I’m going to try either the wiggle option above, or a cheap floating rotor. Thought there is with the centres being alu, it will be easier to dremel.

Premier Icon dyna-ti

What brake are you using with it ? As i said, ive the adaptor sitting in front of me and a 160mm 5 bolt hope mono rotor that fits it.

Premier Icon Rich_s

It’s an slx m7000.

Premier Icon timba
    Free Member

Do you know anyone with a lathe?

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

1) You need a bastard file, if you’re using a finishing file you’ll be there forever.

2) Grinding the tabs will probably be fine, the rotor isn’t centred so it looks worse than it is, the bottom tabs are barely in the way in that pic. If it was that important I doubt they would make floating spiders thinner and from aluminium.

3) Hope make adaptors for half sizes, have done for years. It’s probably easier to get one of those than a PM-IS adaptor these days. But 5 bolt disc is a niche pain in the arse.

Premier Icon dc1988

I would imagine the Clarks rotor would still foul the hub and need filing down, on that basis I’d stick with the current rotor as it has far more meat between the bolt holes

Premier Icon benpinnick

Looking at it again I would be taking an angle grinder to the disc tabs and removing what I needed to slip over the hub. Given the direction of the forces I cant see this being an issue for long term safety.

Premier Icon andybrad

will the bolts fit without the disk or will the heads catch as well?

Premier Icon dyna-ti

£25 and i’ll send you this thing out, the 160mm mono rotor included. RM 1st class recorded costs a fiver so its really 20 quid im after.

Only stipulation is after little one outgrows it, please sell it back to the retro market, its a rare part.

Premier Icon Rich_s

Minor update on this – I rang BETD to see what they said, and they were as baffled as I was. I’m going to send them a pic, but I’ve also ordered the Clarks discs in the meantime.

I asked Clarks to measure the width of their discs and I thinkit’s bang on – I might need to hoover off a gnat’s fart of metal on each tab, rather than the 1.5mm on the shimano ones.

Thanks dyna-ti – I’d already gone with the Clarks ones early this morning. If it’s OK, I’ll keep your offer in my back pocket and come back to you later in the week if this one goes all wrong.

Annoyingly I’ve sold her current bike a bit too quickly so I need to get this one up and running! This isn’t the only problem as I’m waiting a hub from China and some adapters from the outer rings of Uranus.

Premier Icon DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I had something similar to this with a Hope rotor on an old set of Risse forks – the hub was a special width (I think) Risse jobbie and the hub caps had recessed slots where the tabs should have slid down. Had to file down a mm or so of the rotor tabs and it fit fine.

Premier Icon finbar
    Free Member

Looking at it again I would be taking an angle grinder to the disc tabs and removing what I needed to slip over the hub

You must have more finesse with an angle grinder than me – I’d struggle to shave a fraction of a mm off thinking about how the disc would have to be clamped…

Premier Icon dyna-ti

I wouldn’t even attempt to do that sort of thing with an angle grinder, Accident waiting to happen, and a serious accident at that.

People seem to forget how dangerous an angle grinder actually is.

This is a job for a dremel, or a hand file, nothing more than that.

I’ll keep your offer in my back pocket and come back to you later in the week if this one goes all wrong.

I wish you the best of luck in that.

Premier Icon Rich_s

Paul from BETD has advised that it’s a pre-betd model (which it is, it’s a Goldtec)

All the ones made by them aren’t like mine and he thinks the redesign would have been at the time ownership went to betd.

So I’m getting the dremel out.

Premier Icon Rich_s

Final update. Clarks discs arrived today.

Got the ones linked by @StuE so thanks for that. Ended up getting a pair (cos matching) from Clarks on eBay for £11.99 posted.

They’re about 2.0-2.5mm wider across the middle, so *nearly* fit without assistance.
    As it was, a couple of scrapes with a file on each tab and it slid on like a well lubricated slidey thing.

Bolts fitted fine, but are *very* close as well. Thanks to @andybrad for spotting that!
    And many thanks to @dyna-ti for the offer of the adapter and top knowledge for having that Goldtec leaflet!

View post on imgur.com

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.