Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • What hobby for wet winter nights?
  • ferrals
    Free Member

It’s what fly tying is to fisherpersons

In fact, its probably worth starting to fly-fish so you can tie flies. A very rewarding winter pastime… I miss it as much as the actual fishing now I no longer do it. Not convinced my wife misses the random bits of animal fur turning up in the post though!

stumpy01

flyingmonkeycorps

I used to DJ with proper records back in the day. Never learnt to scratch properly though.

I was looking at 3D printers actually. Thought I could combine one with a Raspberry Pi or Arduino and build an awesome robot.

This looks like fun…Something I want to get round to fiddling with soon…

Vorpal The Hexapod

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

You could try to build a barbeque in the style of a ‘Dalek’.

If it was on castors, it would be easy to wheel around the patio and would also serve as a conversation starter.

You’d always have the tongs within easy reach.

The very top part could be used to defrost meat.

Below that, you’d have the grill.

Below that, in the base, you could store your barbeque coals.

(I’d design this so that your kids wouldn’t climb inside and get CO poisoning. And I’d use locking castors to stop it careening around at 300 degrees centigrade.

Now you can use your iPad to sketch out the preliminary blueprints:)

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

http://www.metalartandfabrications.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/dalek_4-1-768×576.jpg

There are plenty more pictures on Pinterest, but you’ll have to log-in to their website;)

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Work on your slow-cooker recipes and cram the fruit in…

The Modern Tagine Cookbook: Delicious recipes for Moroccan one-pot meals https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1788791436/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_16INDbPHN7T8F

Personally, I’m too clumsy to be let near a proper tahini or anything ceramic, so I get-by with these…

Msr Alpine Stowaway Pot 1.6 L https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FBWSRW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_f-INDb7DB9A6Q

It helps to add some table salt to the soapy suds when hand washing these, as these pots can contain a strong residue of metal polish.

Another option is the Zebra brand stainless steel billy-can (ditch the plastic clips!)

spoonmeister

You can get various levels of difficulty of RC car and assuming you know which way round to hold an Allen key, and have some mechanical sympathy, you shouldn’t have much trouble putting a kit together.

If you fancy learning an instrument don’t forget that if you get an electric one you can use headphones with it to avoid waking MiniMonkey up.

You mentioned climbing – what about building your own mini bouldering wall? If you’ve got a conservatory it probably isn’t used much during the winter so could be used for the wall.

takisawa2

Volunteer at a local Scout Group.

funkmasterp

napping is my hobby of choice at this time of year. Wheel building and whittling sound like great ideas. How about calligraphy?

daviek

Try out the local climbing wall?

…. didnt notice this had been mentioned

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Thoroughly recommended!

Floyd’s Great Curries https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1844032043/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_h04NDbC1GR3N6

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve just bought a new SSD for the PC so I should probably use that… So CGI or music production is probably go. What’s good music software for a complete gomper? I used to use Octamed on the Amiga back in the day, and I think I used Acid a bit but that was a long while ago. I’ll probably be making dirty drum and bass if anything…

I’d love to build a bouldering wall, it’s on the list for our next house. But in a diddy terrace it’s not really practical. Not indoors anyway. Weekly trips to the wall will have to suffice.

I’ll have a look into RC cars. More complex would be better tbh, it’s the making I’ll enjoy the most.

Reckon I’m also gonna have a go at making a Lego robot.

*edit* MrsMonkey loves cooking, and I’m generally not that fussed so I’m happy to leave her to it. I do like a good curry though…

Loughan
    Free Member

Have you considered children? Yours or someone elses? With one of those you’ll have bog all time and the years will fly past

Haze

Zwift?

flyingmonkeycorps

We have a MiniMonkey. That’s why it needs to be something that can fit into hourish chunks of time.

I’ve nowhere to put a turbo, plus I’d sooner go out and run in the rain or climb if I don’t fancy riding.

chiefgrooveguru

Have you considered night MTBing? With appropriate clothes?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Wheel building is pretty clean and innocuous.
    I get slated for most bikes in the house stuff but wheel building in front of TV is more or less acceptable.

Last time i built a wheel in the living room i got told to move over so she could have a go! Still going strong on her bike.

flyingmonkeycorps

Tried that. Great idea in theory, in practice the only trails in range are made of horrific chalky clay and are basically unrideable in winter 🙁

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What hobby for wet winter nights?’ is closed to new replies.