• This topic has 46 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by dazh.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • What history do Americans/French/foreign types learn at school?
  • nickc

spinning jennys etc.

anachist

“Down with the Spinning Jenny. Burn the the rolling Rosalind, Destroy the Going up and down a bit and then moving along Gertrude”

didnthurt

I’d imagine that most countries downplay their “bad” history or gloss completely over it, then focus on high achievers whilst not being 100% with the facts. The uk is also guilty of this.

Like when I was in the Danish museum in Copenhagen, the Viking display said that the Vikings were misunderstood and were in fact just peaceful farming types, this was right next to a display of weapons and a Viking long boat. 😂

desperatebicycle

😀

didnthurt

I remember being taught about the two World wars, JFK and the Romans. That’s about it.

didnthurt

The National museum in Auckland NZ, did something similar, explaining Maori life before the Europeans turned up, it all seemed very peaceful. I only found out later that the Maoris were also incomers to New Zealand, only a couple of hundred years before the Europeans. They’re not even the first people there. When they turned up, they preceded to eat their way through whole species of giant birds, even evidence that they may have killed and ate the previous inhabitants.

pondo

“Is she?  Or is she oft misquoted?”

She regularly misgenders trans people on social media. That’s deliberate and pretty hateful. (I’m holiday at the moment and under a self-imposed Twitter exile – I can look for more examples next week! 🙂 ).

“There is no doubt that there are small number of predatory trans people who use it to their advantage.”

That no more justifies the demonisation of all trans people than it would, say, the demonisation of all men. And let’s face it, women are at far more risk from men than they are trans people. In contrast, trans people are far more at risk of violence than cis people.

dazh

spinning jennys etc.

I did GCSE British social and economic history 1700-1900. I wasn’t keen but my teachers said I should I do it as a backup for english as my english grade was shite and I wanted to go to Uni. It was awesome, best GCSE I did, and probably what gave me all the lefty pinko beliefs which I have now. The best bit was reconstructing an enclosure court in the class (I had some creative teachers), it’s always stayed with me.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.