What hire care for 4 blokes and 4 bike bags?

Home Forum Bike Forum What hire care for 4 blokes and 4 bike bags?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What hire care for 4 blokes and 4 bike bags?
  • Premier Icon Leku
    Subscriber

Off to the Alps in the summer for a long weekend. 4 of us are flying out with bikes and will be picking up a hire car from Geneva airport.

I’m thinking that 2 x Ford Focus estates at £160 each would be the way to go. A ford Galaxy would be £560.

Can you get 4 in a Ford Mondeo estate?

Any ideas?

jambon

I’d go for the Galaxy. Hired one 4 years ago for a Welsh trip. Size of a van, drives like a sports car. + only one driver. 6 gears, dangerously easy to do over 100 on the motorway without realising it. 1 car = far less fuel.

Premier Icon Leku
    Subscriber

Fuel would be about £40 each and they are really only going to be used to get the site and back from the airport.

so 2 Focus would be about £400 in total.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Why not use a transfer company ? They seem to be about £30 per person each way.

fasthaggis

How about booking a firm for the transfers,it may work out cheaper.

edit ( beaten to it :wink:)

Premier Icon Stu_N
    Subscriber

If the hire car is going to just sit there for the weekend a transfer would probably work out cheaper (though depends where – Geneva to Morzine isnt far, obviously futher will cost more.

Not sure you’d get 4+4 bags in a Galaxy, they are big but 4 bike bags are an awkward shape. And you may get anything of that class – some frenchie equivalent most likely which might not be as big

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

It was a struggle getting 2 carry-on bags, 2 suitcases and 2 bike bags inside a Galaxy taxi last time I went to the airport (just 3 of us inside inc. the driver). 4 blokes and 4 bike bags only (no other luggage) would probably squeeze in but your 2 Focus option sounds better (although the transfer idea is even better IMO).

hora

Ski Skiddadle were good. About £70-80 I think from memory per person.

bland

Hora, £70-80 is expensive! Have a shop around and play them off against each other. £40 should do it.

Try Alp Transfer, Ski Transfer and drop a line to some of the organised holiday places, they may well have space in a van going at the same time

Actually that depends upon where you are going, kind of presumed that it would be the PDS.

4 may go in a Mondeo estate, the bikes will be dismantled, take them out of the bags and stuff in, they take up a lot less space with peggles off

Premier Icon stufield
    Subscriber

Hire a transit and 1 of you sit in the back with some cheeky french beers

Premier Icon Leku
    Subscriber

We are going from Geneva Airport (Swiss side) to Grimentz.

Thursday to Sunday. We wont need a are while we are there.

Looked at transfers and they work out way more expensive – £400 each way.

hora

Hora, £70-80 is expensive! Have a shop around and play them off against each other. £40 should do it.

You know, good idea – idiot really/obvious- why didn’t I think of that? I do it with everything else in life!

b r

I’d contact a taxi company in/near the place you are going, and see what they can do.

But its a round-trip of 400km’s in CH, so nothing is going to be cheap.

julians

when we do this we always hire two of the smallest cars they do, it seems to work out the cheapest solution.

4 blokes + 4 bike bags = 2 x fiat panda/kia piccanto with the back seats flat

mcmullej

2 x Minis

Will the bike bags fit in the back of a mini?

“Youre only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!” etc etc

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What hire care for 4 blokes and 4 bike bags?’ is closed to new replies.